Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Problem with my amp

Discussion in 'Bass Amps & Cabinets' started by mick81, Aug 27, 2007.

Tags:
  1. mick81

mick81

Hi, I´m using a 250 Watts Warwick Bass head amplifier. The amplifier has 4 Ohm outputs.
    I have a 200 Watts 1x15 Cab and a 200 Watts 4x8 Cab connected in parallel. Both Cabs are 8 Ohms and also from Warwick.

Bass Guitar is a H&K 4 string active bass.

I´m playing this rack for a couple month but now the sound starts to scratch from time to time. Sometimes there´s even no output. Sounds like a defective contakt. In rehearsals I have to play gain at 6 and volume at 10.

Is my amplifier broken or what could be the problem?

kind regards,
    Mick

2. Stroud

Stroud

from what you've written theres no obvious problem like a bad combination of head and cabs. sounds like a faulty head

have you tried new cables?, new battory in the bass?, wiggled the cable on the bass end and on the head end (to check the basses output socket and heads input socket)?

could be a bad speaker cable...

3. mick81

mick81

Yes, I checked all this. Could too much clipping damage the head?

4. naetog

naetog

I have my gain set so that the clipping light barely starts to flicker when I'm either playing my low B string or thumping and plucking.

Are you constantly clipping the amp? If so that's not good. It should only happen occasionally.

5. mick81

mick81

the "active" socket is broken. I changed the earphones socket with the actve socket because I don´t use earphones. Don´t know how a socket can be broken. It looked unsuspicious...

6. Stroud

Stroud

The socket will have two/three wires coming off it inside the head. these can have a bad contact or have totally broken off.

You could also have bent the inside of the socket so that you arnt making contact with all the required parts.

7. Grgzilla

Grgzilla

The active socket has a resistor soldered onto it so replacing it with the headfone jack(with no resistor) might not be advisable.Then again it might be fine.I dunno,but I thought you might like to know.