Preamp Tube Advice

Reaction score
Real Name
Bobby Paden
I have a Warwick quad vi. I am going to replace the preamp tubes. I have 12ax7's in the head now. I'm thinking of putting 12au7's. The reason being I had a Laney b1 that had 12au7's in it and it was my go to head. I don't know what the difference in these types of tubes are and I am looking for advice on what would be good to put back into this head. I would appreciate all knowledge offered.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Hey Bobby, the 12au7 has a lower output then the 12ax7. They are used in guitar amps that are otherwise too gainy for a better clean response OR in amps that were specifically designed around them.
If there's 12AX7 in the Warwick amp now I would stick to 12AX7.

Between different makes and types of 12ax7 tubes (which in Europe are named ECC83) there's different sound characteristics. They will not sound radically different but one brand can be more warm and the other more tight.

There are currently only four tube manufacturers on the planet, but there are a lot of brands you can choose from. Just know that ECC83/12AX7 stuff from GrooveTubes, TAD, Mesa are all the same rebranded JJ ECC83S tubes.
Now for a brand like Groove Tubes you pay a little more then for the original JJ tubes, but Groove Tubes do claim all their tubes have been tested and matched. How much of this is true I really can't tell.

For bass amps I am using JJ ECC83S from Groove Tubes anyway because those do not break the bank and are known for giving a nice tight and flat response in the lowest frequencies besides that lively warmth you expect from tube amps. I had Tung-Sol in my amp before but those gave me a mid presence that could not be dialed out (which can be awesome for guitar though) and the tubes were more noisy in between playing then the JJ's are.

Last edited:

Florin

Warwick Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I used to switch the tubes in my Warwick amps to JJ. I loved their warm full sound.

Reaction score
Real Name
Bobby Paden
Thanks for the help. I guess I should replace the power amp tube at the same time. I will go with the jj's.

Top Bottom