Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

preamp passive tone control mod?

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by cubanbass, Nov 29, 2009.

1. cubanbass

cubanbass

Hi, first time post here, I have a Streamer CT that I love but am currently trying to get a passive tone control modded or a preamp with one in it. I stumbled upon a youtube video with a Jazzman that has a nice pre setup. I posted a thread in another forum about it...

Saw this youtube vid of a sweet preamp setup on a Streamer Jazzman. It has the stock MEC pickups and as far as all the info I got from the owner of the bass (via youtube email) he is not sure of the pre but it might be a modified one.

I asked him if he knew what preamp or if he had a diagram. He did not have a diagram but told me he would get some pics of the control cavity when he has a chance.

I would love to mod my existing 2 band w/ a passive tone contral or get a similar set up as the Jazzman on the vi w/ a d 3 band. Any thoughts or suggestions? I'll post pics as soon as I get them.

[video=youtube;Uz9UR1TYmC0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz9UR1TYmC0[/video]

2. EVOLVEBASS

EVOLVEBASS

Welcome, Mario.

I can understand why you might be interested in a 3-band preamp, but why bother adding a passive tone control? They don't really do much anyway - especially since your CT has active pickups...

3. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum CUbanbass :)

That's our forum buddy Pertyman, cool bassist!

Let's ask him

4. cubanbass

cubanbass

Thanks for reply!

Thanks for the reply guys. I checked with him through youtube and I do not think he knows about the type of preamp that is in his bass ( I doubt its a modded MEC preamp). I am curious to see how it is wired though. He is going to get a pic of the control cavity when he has a chance.

About a tone control on an active pickup like an MEC or EMG. Do they work? I am aware the MEC's are active and even if I pull on my volume to go "passive" if my battery is out I will not get a sound. So passive in this case it just taking the eq. out. A tone control before the eq. should work. In the case of the video there seems to be a change on tone when the eq is bypassed and the tone control was adjusted.

Recently I have been digging the sound of the bass with the eq bypassed. I seem to lose something in the tone when the eq is engaged. This has started my search for alternatives.

5. EVOLVEBASS

EVOLVEBASS

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're trying to do, but I thought I'd point out that whatever the dude with the JazzMan is using may not work with your CT. The JM has passive pickups, so having a passive tone control makes sense (check out the LTD 2002, it had one also) - but I'm not sure the same applies to your CT with active pickups...

6. cubanbass

cubanbass

Thanks for clearing that up EVOLVEBASS, it makes a lot more sense now.

7. EVOLVEBASS

EVOLVEBASS

Cool. Go Devils! :twisted:

8. pertyman

pertyman

the way to do it:

Freinds !
    I'm prety sure that i know what preamp is on my bass - MEC all original !
    Mario the pic's are on the way.
    There should be a single lead from the pull switch that goes direct to the jack socket output - strip a small section of wire from the middle (or cut it in half) and solder that part (or both ends) to the centre tag of a 250k audio pot. Then solder a 0.022uF capacitor from the left hand leg (with the tags facing you and pot shaft upwards), and solder the other end of the capacitor to earth.
    there, you have it...

Attached Files: