Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Pre Amp of my Thumb BO5 distorting..?

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by Blockrocker, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Blockrocker

Blockrocker

hey guys...
    on tuesday me and my band had our first band rehersal since a month. well, i plugged in my Thumb BO, and if i would play a lil bit harder my bass would distort, even if I would turn the volume extremely down. Well, today i put the Pick ups a little bit down, but i am not sure if it worked since i only have my crappy 15 watt Crate at home.
    It can't be the battery, because i changed it a few days ago. could it be the preamp? or is this normal if the Lows and highs of the preamp are turned up too high? has anybody of you guys had this before?
    Cheers

2. bass_lord_mutha

bass_lord_mutha

How old is your Thumb BO? Warwick put out a notice a few years ago stating that older model Thumb basses had a preamp that needed to operate with 18v instead of 9v since the preamp needed more headroom than what a 9v puts out, so you might try wiring another 9v battery coupler to your preamp to make it 18v.

3. Patrik

Patrik

Even if I haven't heard of that story I'd be very careful here (electrician as I am). An electrical unit which is designed to run on 9V could take serious damage if connected to 18V if it's not designed for it. It all depends on how you connect an extra battery as well.

One 9V battery = 9V

Two 9V batteries connected in parallel = 9V (longer life time, depending on the consumption of your source)

Two 9V batteries connected in series = 18 V (will kill the source if it's not designed for 18V)

Just be careful on how you connect them.

Cheers. /P

4. Blockrocker

Blockrocker

its from 2003.

5. Son of Bovril

Son of Bovril

then it is designed to run on 9V, so don't put another battery in.

Did lowering the pickups work? I had to do the same thing with my NT, but luckily, the preamp in the NT has an attenuator in the back which allows you to lower the input from the pickups. It only happened to me when I played pretty hard, but lowering the pickups did fix this too...

unless of course it is the output jack or a loose wire in the back somewhere...

6. Mr Rabble

Mr Rabble

This could be the cause

7. Blockrocker

Blockrocker

okay so i gonna try this tomorrow in Band Practice

I gonna tell you guys what happend
    Thanks for all you guys help!

8. Blockrocker

Blockrocker

okay folks,
    so today i went to my local (music) dealer :D because my input was loose. it seems like the problem with the distortion solved itself after the input was replaced. now everything works properly, plus i bought a EBS wah one Wah Wah pedal! so everythings finde and aaawesome.
    thanks for the help! cheers