pre amp fried on my Thumb

Reaction score
I'm getting all sorts of crackling and buzzing (intermittent but bad), on my 2006 Thumb NT. Spoke with Dana B Goods. They're not handling Warwick any more, but sent me to Davitt and Hanser. D & H aren't set up yet with Warwick replacement parts.

This is really dissapointing, as this is my second Warwick with bad electronics. Any advice on where to get a new pre-amp?

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Vinnie, I am sorry to hear that mate!
It is not easy for Warwick in this moment, changing the distribution in a country like US is pretty difficult. However, I am sure everything will be OK very soon.

You could do:
- Check our sales section for preamps, there are some I guess.
- Check other brands like Aguilar, or Bartolini, and consider you done a nice upgrade :)

You can PM me, or email me for any question you might have.
Florin

Reaction score
Vinnie,

Before you give up, the problems you're having are consistent with a bad jack, bad cable, or the wiring harness connections in the control cavity needing to be wiggled around.

It's worth a try,

O

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys. I have my local music stores calling around.
Escobon,
Unfortunately, I swapped out enough cables and amplifiers to rule out anything other than the pre amp. The problem is intermittent. The bass will work OK for a while (no amount of shacking or jostling will get it to scew up), but then 30 - 60 minutes later, sitting on a stand, minding it's own business, all heck will break loose
Florin,
If I can't get a direct replacement, do you have any specific recommendations regarding the Aguilar or Bart preamps? Obviously, I will need the same configs as my Thumb NT. Stacked volume/blend, mids, stacked bass/treble

Reaction score
Not saying this is not the preamp itself, but I recently had the same problem with another brand of bass: heavy buzzing and crackling in an unpredictable and intermittend way. In the end, it appeared to be a grounding issue in the electronics cavity, which was fixed by a local luthier by simply soldering in one extra wire. Total cost: 25 euro. Your problem might be different, but the point is: it needs to be diagnosed by an experienced person.
So, before getting a completely new pre-amp, bring it to your local luthier (or the best local shop's repair guy) and have him analyse the problem.

Hope this helps,

Marijn

Last edited by a moderator:

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Marijn, and thanks for the useful reply.

Reaction score
If a new pre is the solution then i highly reccomend the Audere 3BZ. The ability to switch impedance on the pickups gives an amazing variety of tones.

golem

Philosopher King
Reaction score

Not to mention the little blue light !

When I got my Audere'd ax it was a
sorta prototype that I bought from
the builder. So when I saw an extra
hole drilled near the knobs I thought
he'd changed his mind about some
small detail, like maybe a switch or
whatever. Then I plugged in ... and
a bright blue-white "code message"