Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Practice amp suggestions...anyone?

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by devo_stevo, Jun 25, 2007.

1. devo_stevo

devo_stevo

This may be a topic better suited for a different forum on here, but I thought I'd give it a shot in here. I am looking for a good practice amp. I have a 300 watt head with a 2x10 cab and I like it a lot. It sounds great with my passive Corvette Standard 4, but it is not all that portable as it is heavy and all that.

What I am looking for is a suggestion on a good combo amp that that is portable, yet still has a great tone to it and is loud enough for perhaps a small gig or on stage monitoring in the future. I am curious about the Phil Jones Bass amps (specifically the new flightcase or maybe the briefcase models). The only problem is that I am in northern Utah and there are no dealers around here to go and try one out before buying. I don't really want to drop that kind of dough without trying one out first.

Any help on this would be great.

2. Casey

Casey Guest

I use an Ampeg BA115-T for practice... works great, VERY loud... And not too heavy :)

3. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

I use Warwick CL4 for practice. Very light and with rollers. Good sound :) For small gigs CCL 4 might be a better option.

I don't care for power for my home study amp, but, for gigs I'd never go under 250W

4. Mr Rabble

Mr Rabble

Two great classics:
    1) SWR Baby Blue
    2) Gallien Krueger MB120

5. devo_stevo

devo_stevo

I've tried the Ampeg BA115 and I like it a lot. I haven't tried the Warwick amps yet, but I would like to try one out to see how it goes. I'll try to find a dealer nearby.

I'm still curious about the Phil Jones amps. Anyone out there ever used one.

6. Grgzilla

Grgzilla

Hey Stevo,I tried the Fender Bdec & it was the most amazing practice amp ever conceived.Well worth checking out mate.
    The Phil Jones amps are excellent & very portable & they punch well beyond their weight,unfortunatly I cant check them out either as there's no dealers here but a few members here use them & swear by them.

7. maddrakkett

maddrakkett R.I.P.

The Fender B-DEC was the amp GC had a 4-string version of my $$ plugged into when I first auditioned one and I could not believe how incredible the bass sounded! I would have gone home with that 4-string, but I wanted the 5-string version more, and found it at another GC near by. Anyway, the B-DEC is a fun little practice amp because it includes play-along instruments, etc. in the amp for home practice, and it really sounded great when plugging a Warwick into it. I was quite surprised and impressed enough to seal the deal on a Warwick $$. If the $$ can make that little combo amp that I thought was a toy sound as pro as it did, then it would surely do wonders through my rig. That, and perhaps the Fender B-DEC is not so much a "toy" after all!

As for Phil Jones, I have never heard any, but the reviews are stellar enough to make it a trustworthy choice if you order it sight unseen. Just make sure there's a good return policy if it happens to not do the job. They are a lot of money, but look well-designed and built, plus they should make great recording amps as well. Very respectable amps to show off too!

8. Casey

Casey Guest

If you do get the BA115... Make sure it's the BA115-T , That tubed preamp upgrade makes quite a bit of a different.. Espically when the amp is cranked... It growls like no other during band practice for me when I have everything cranked and the mids up :)

9. devo_stevo

devo_stevo

Thanks for the advice guys. I still have plenty of time before I have any money to really be worried about this, but I appreciate the advice. at this point, it's between the Ampeg (because they do sound great and deserve the reputation that they have) and the Phil Jones (because the reviews truely are great and they are something different).

If and when I get one, I will let you all know how it goes.

10. Goran

Goran

If you can try MB150E-III/112. It's definitely a good one!

11. uaudio

uaudio

i second the SWR Baby Blue.

i have a Baby Baby Blue, which is the same preamp from the original Baby Blue but with a 1x10 instead of a 2x10. its loud enough for what you're looking to do, super portable, and sounds amazing. i've used it for years for stage monitoring when i don't feel like lugging around cabinets, and its about as high end of a practice amp as one could buy.

12. H8ER 321

H8ER 321

Nope, 8)

Yes they are great amps. They hold up a B string pretty well at most volumes. I have recently purchased a fretless "screw around" bass and for some reason it sounds best on the PJB there is something that shines through in Suitfcase that does not come through on my Epifani.

13. zdb

zdb

GK MB150S for practice and small gig`s...

14. Gastrok

Gastrok

A dealer in my area just started carrying Phil Jones amps...the day I picked up my corvette std-5 i tried the suitecase and I must say it was amazing....it was the first time that the sound coming out of a bass amp actually gave me a shiver up my spine! :lol:

15. wireman

wireman

roland cube

I think you should consider a roland bass cube 100 as well. Extremely versatile and portable. Built like a tank. As an added feature I really like the fx and wide range of amp modelling. really the only feature that is not on board is a tuner. 100 musical watts seems very little, but this tiny amp is actually potent enough for smaller gigs (and if your drummer is not John Bonham)

16. devo_stevo

devo_stevo

Re: roland cube

Thanks, I hadn't thought about Roland, but I know that they make some fantastic stuff. Igot looking into the Fender B-DEC and it looks like a pretty cool practice amp. Since I'm not in a band or anything, it might be the way to go as far as keeping things interesting. And if the sound is anything like some others have said on here, that's a great bonus. I think I'll have to go out and tryone at the local GC.

By the way, here's a picture of my Corvette. It is my first electric bass and my first Warwick as well. I love her very much.

[​IMG]

17. King Tut

King Tut

+1 for the Roland - I've got a cube 30 and a 100 - both fantastic amps and surprisingly loud.

I gigged my 100 on saturday in a medium sized pub with a 'kin loud drummer. Put it through the PA and back through the monitors for a bit of help, but coped admirably!

18. Grgzilla

Grgzilla

The practice amp doesnt come any better than a Fender B-Dec.Check it out.

19. devo_stevo

devo_stevo

I went to the local GC this weekend and played around with a Fender B-DEC. It's a really cool practice amp! I'm thinking that is the way to go. I'm not currently in a band (haven't been in one yet) and I'm thinking that this would be a great way to make practice interesting again. The fact that it actually sounds good even though it's small is a bonus too.

20. vakmere

vakmere

Try the Mesa Walkabout. 300w with a 15. Light and more punch than Joe Frazier. Ebay for those who dont want to pay retail.