Post your experience about Warwick vs. other hi-end basses

Reaction score
I'd like to hear your opinion on how warwicks compare to other high end basses that you've played, like roscoe, pedulla, fodera, f bass, sei bass etc.

Reaction score
Truthfully, Dragonlord:

I have had little experience with high-end basses beyond having worked on them and flight tested them afterwards. Just as truthfully, I would not be seen on stage with some of the aforementioned "high end" basses. The body styles are just, "not me".

My Warwicks are the closest to Nirvana that I've ever known, and until I sense shortcomings in these instruments, here I will stay.

I refer you to my rule of Thumb: I have no money, but damned if I don't have Warwicks.

O

Reaction score
I refer you to my rule of Thumb: I have no money, but damned if I don't have Warwicks.

Couldn't have said it better. The "highest end" bass I've played other than a Warwick is a Tobias, and the damn thing cost my buddy almost 2000 bucks. Not all that I expected for the price, and the Bartolini's in it sounded a little sterile for my taste.

Reaction score
My experinces with high end basses are pretty limitied to test flying a couple of Pedulla and Tobias basses (I'm not counting Fender, Rickenbacker, Gibson, Music Man, Yamaha & Ibanez here). For me, the Warwicks simply sounded and felt better.

Escoban's Rule of Thumb is a life-lesson to live by:

I don't have a lot of money by any means, but the soulfulness of a Warwick in my hands provides something that I can't put a price on.

Reaction score
I must say, I am fairly new to the Warwick family, but I am digging my Corvette Std 5. It is awesome for rock!

I really don't think it is too aggressive for other styles either.

I sometimes think the growliness sounds kind of like an upright bowed bass and that is not to aggressive for orchestra. You may think me crazy, but that is Ok.

I use a patch on my Boss GT-6B and it sounds way like a bowed bass then!

Reaction score
I would still call the top end fenders, ricks and MMs high end basses (Alembec, Pedular etc are a step above) but the high end fenders and ricks cost simular prices to the warwicks and therefore really should be in the same league! they just arn't! MMs sound dry and feel it too and fender is really just a name now! out of the standard top end guitar shop basses the Ricks (other than of course the warwicks) sound and play the nicest, the only problem I had with the Ricks I tryed was they just luk too american! Warwicks are by far the supieor instruments. I also think they look better than Alembec and Pedulars most of the time!

Reaction score
'MM's sound too dry'?

Which one? They're all a bit different. My Sterling is different to the Stingray I used to have. If anything it's softer/warmer than my 'vette (but it does have lighter gauge stringing).

I've said it before, it's always useful to have different sounding instruments, one day you get up and you have a MM day, another and it may be the Warwick that floats yer boat.

Reaction score
I have had a bit of history playing aot of basses.
have to say Alembic basses are very nice, they have similar tone and feel to warwicks, but aren't so raw. the tone is very "sealed" it doesn't breathe like a warwick thumb or Stage II.
there does need to be some clarity here, there are high end basses which are simply production models and there are full custom basses like Sei. Sei basses like alot of custom luthers are amazing, they can cater for anything, so it is impossible to match a Warwick against a Sei, which is twice the cost and has everything custom.
Fender is just a name now! there are some decent ideas behind the current fender production models but the quality and tone for the money is shocking. Marcus Miller 5 string is a nice bass, but the quality of the model I played was unbelievable! I was able to slot my credit card in the neck heel!! bad things happen when parts don't match up like that.
Wal basses are the middle ground between Warwick and Alembic. very nice fretless tone, but nasty necks. the V shape is far too deep for me.
Spector is nice, but the basses relie I feel on the EMG pickups. they have limited tone and aren't very versitile!!!!!!
Sandberg are very nice basses, brilliant thin necks but weak tone! shame because they would be killer axes otherwise.
As with all of these basses, I just don't like the bodies. there is something about my Stage II streamer that just gets me. it is very comfortable to play with, and has given me very little hassle. the only thing i would say is its quite heavy, but i'm use to it now.
At the end of the day basses are like women, you shop around and find the pretty ones, the expensive one(Alembic), the horny ones (corvette!!), the ugly ones(pedulla). but one day you just find the right one, everything is right. the way she feels and sings, its all there. Once I got bitten by the Warwick love I had to have it.
Some people hate warwicks, but something just does it for me. I've found my life partner.

Silly question, but when your in the music shop checking stuff out, is there a voice in your head saying "yeah that bass is nice, but its not a warwick"!!

O

odominguez

badboyjohnzy said:
Silly question, but when your in the music shop checking stuff out, is there a voice in your head saying "yeah that bass is nice, but its not a warwick"!!

I know exactly what you mean.

Reaction score
Yep, he's right for sure!

For me there's something really soulful about a Warwick that's maybe a combination of the sound and feel and the way I interact with the thing.

Reaction score
Thanks badboyjohnzy, great post, that's exactly what I was hoping for when I started the topic!

Reaction score
badboyjohnzy said:
Sei basses like alot of custom luthers are amazing, they can cater for anything, so it is impossible to match a Warwick against a Sei, which is twice the cost and has everything custom.
Well, not quite, I mean a basic Sei should be around the same price with a Streamer Stage II. I'm thinking of getting a custom made SS2 with wenge neck, black oil finish, maybe SD pickups and preamp and, with the prices of Warwick's custom shop, I think that this could end up higher than if I ordered a similar bass from Sei.

Reaction score
I have played guitar for many years and still do. The person who turned me on to bass has a Ricky and a Hofner Beatle bass, so I got to spend some time with both. Both basses are at least in the price range of a Warwick and very nice basses indeed. Out of the two the Rickenbacker was my favorite, the neck felt great and I could get a variety of sounds from it. I was actually searching for a Ricky when I walked into a local shop and on a whim picked up a Thumb. Long story short I ended up with a Thumb Bleached Blonde 2003 LTD. I consider the Ricky and Hofner "1 Trick Ponies" They are good at what they do. Our band plays covers from the 60's 70's and 80’s; the Warwick covers all the tones I need, from the Beatles to the ZZ Top. When it comes to playing music I consider myself a jack of all trades and master of none. Since I have been playing my Warwick, I have been getting nothing but complements on my bass playing, yes I practice more, but I truly believe that the Warwick has made me a better bass player.

Reaction score
I think warwick are good value for money,you get what you pay for & I believe I got an exclellent bass at a resonable price.I have/had other basses I'm taking into account & comparing what I got for the money.Warwick arent expensive in comparison to the standard of instrument your getting,IMHO of course. :wink:

Reaction score
Great bit of analysis from badboyjohnzy

I've bought and sold a few basses - but there's definitely something about the Warwick that feels/looks/sounds right

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum but have been a warwick lover for about 2 years. I just want to help people the best I can, have made lots of bad choices in the past on certain basses or bits of gear.
I find my warwick will "mix itself" on almost any style of music. I'm an MD of 70's Disco Function band, the Studio 54's, and with all the problems I have to deal with live, the warwick always the last thing. I never have to think about it, because is it effortless to play and solid as a rock. I often play 3 45min sets and it never tests me.
besides the function I dep and work in alot of other styles. Can honestly say warwick is my first choice for any gig. 8)

Owl

Reaction score
I have only recently got myself a Warwick - a 5 string Corvette $$ with 3 band eq. Till recently I've always loved the Warwick sound but hated the necks. Amongst my arsenal I have a custom Sei Bass fretless and a custom Overwater fretted. Essentially they are 3 totally different instruments and difficult to compare - it's apples and oranges. I've found that it's a case of choosing the right bass for the job in hand. The Warwick gives the lovely honky growl we all know and love, the Overwater is certainly more versatile in terms of the range of tones it can produce and the Sei Bass is undoubtedly the best looking and, probably due to the 7 piece neck, virtually plays itself. Horses for courses!

Reaction score
Hey Johnzy!

I play in two funky Blues/R&B bands and I've had great success with the Thumb Basses myself.

Wasn't the late,great Bernard Edwards (Chic) one of the most underrated bass players or what?!

Reaction score
yes BE was the daddy, a great all round musician with a strong very. his technique got a bit sloppy sometimes, but he had great feel, and managed to write some of the most memorable basslines of all time.
love his tone, flat old Pbass flabbin away but with a large amount of mid range attack.
For the function band I often end up playing Marcus Miller basslines, as alot of the song he sessioned on. makes my job as a bass player very cool. the front pick up of the warwick really growls like a classic jazz with modern edge.
has anyone else experienced they're pickups ageing quickly. my pickups in MEC pickups in the warwick seemed flat and dull when i first got the bass, and had thought to replace them, but over the last few months the tone seems to be getting better. a friend of mine told me that the pickups in a bass will sound more "vintage" over time because certain parts "age". I have used my bass ALOT recently, and the tone just keeps improving.
is this my crazy ears just telling me I love warwick, or could my pickups be turning into a 60's classic jazz!!!

Reaction score
I've heard a theory that over the years, the tension of the pickup windings "relaxes" to a certain degree, and this sometimes changes the tone.

Also, the wood can lose some of it's moisture too, and some old Fender guys claim that is the reason they prefer the tone of the older basses.

It's hard to say, since each instrument can behave differently, but all in all that's good to hear that you enjoy the tone more as time passes, because I plan on playing my Warwicks for the rest of my natural life, followed by the rest of my natural death!

Top Bottom