Poll: Neck profile as a custom shop option.

Would you like neck profile as a custom option?

• No, i am fine .I don't need another option.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never thought about it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Well, this is one of the most controversial aspects about Warwicks.
Every time you see a topic about Warwick basses ,there is a lot of people
who turn them down just because of this: "thick necks".
Why not tell Warwick what we like?

Reaction score
ive never really cared what the neck profile is like. i just adjust my technique. same with the finish on the neck, i just adjust my fretting hand a little. i do prefer the "look" of necks with a natural finish though

Reaction score
I think there should be a custom shop option. I have heard tales from many people (including some friends of mine) who have tried a Warwick, and instantly fell in love with the way they sound and the way they look, but were rejected by the "baseball bat" neck profile :cry:

Reaction score
Everyone that has tried my $$ (including a few drummers and brass players) all loved the neck! That, the tone and the look of my bubinga top is always complimented

Reaction score
Yeah, but there are a huge bunch of people who dislike them... A really good friend of mine bought an American F*nder Jazz Bass instead of a Warwick, because of the neck profile...

Reaction score
That's a big change! There are many other basses that sound good, are made well and have a slimmer neck than fender! Fenders are overpriced and decadent basses that were good in the fifties and sixties

FMJ

Reaction score
I think its just personal and depends on the bass. A Bass that may have pick up and play mojo for you, might not have it for someone else who plays it.

My Flashback (And im sure most pre 1998? Warwicks) have reasonably thin necks and I really like that feel and Id probably lean towards a Set neck or Neck thru model if I was going to upgrade the bass.

But on other occasions in shops, Ive picked up Bolt ons (Corvettes and Thumbs) and basically put them straight back on the shelf because of their necks being basically unplayable for me and this is probably a reason why I never got along with these two models.
But that said I played a Thumb NT 5 the other day and was suprised at the thickness of the neck and it was pretty nice to play but it definately wasnt my thing.

Oh and I did enquire a while back about getting the old profile put onto a CS Infinity I was thinking of having and this was Ollie's response "We changed our neck profile and added the neck volute when it joins with the headstock to make it stiffer and more durable. We had seen some of the older ones break at the headstock."

Reaction score
I love strong and stiff woods and structures............

So I love Warwick necks, and like Stroud said, I will adapt to the neck profile anyway. So I'm not interested in thinner necks, however, for the sake of people who absolutely want a very slim neck for whatever reason, I think it's a good idea to have a CS option concerning neck profile. Why not ?? It's just an extra CNC program that is required, and hey, Ibanez basses don't fall apart because the necks are slimmer..............So I'd say yeah, it's a good idea.

Reaction score
Please don't forget that having another option through the custom shop doesn't mean that you have to dislike the current necks. Most people in this forum probably like warwicks for what they are. The point is whether or not, you want a different profile as an option. If that option would be useful for a number of people ,that would make Warwick include it as an option.No need to defend Warwick on this. This topic could really take a wrong turn...

Reaction score
I like the 'thin' neck on my '89 Streamer!
That plus the fact that it is Wenge instead of Ovankol makes me a very happy boy! =D

Reaction score
P.S.

I voted for : "Yes, i would like to be able to choose a "thinner" neck profile."

However, like I said, I don't care for this option. I voted for this, because I think it's a good idea, and should be introduced. Maybe the question should be: Do you think it's a good idea if the CS offers a slimmer neck profile ?

Cheers. :D

Reaction score
ThirdthumB said:
P.S.

I voted for : "Yes, i would like to be able to choose a "thinner" neck profile."

However, like I said, I don't care for this option. I voted for this, because I think it's a good idea, and should be introduced. Maybe the question should be: Do you think it's a good idea if the CS offers a slimmer neck profile ?

Agreed...
But i don't think that a good idea would be enough to convince anyone to do something about it. I believe it's more important to show how many of us could really use an option like this... :wink:

Reaction score
It would be nice to have this option, although I won't use it. The bass I played before my Warwick had a really slim neck, changing to my Streamer was easy.
I wonder if the more mass of wood resulting in a thicker/slimmer neck would affect the tone?

Reaction score
diitriss said:
ThirdthumB said:
P.S.

Agreed...
But i don't think that a good idea would be enough to convince anyone to do something about it. I believe it's more important to show how many of us could really use an option like this... :wink:

That's a good point too.............but one of the problems could be that the ones who didn't buy a Warwick for this reason..............are not here to vote !!! Most of the people here own a Warwick, or are dreaming of getting one; they (generally) don't mind the current neck profile. Edit: or are very comfortable with the Warwick neck profile...............So maybe the poll could give a biased view of the potential "Warwick market". Maybe, hypothetically, if this poll was put on, say www.basscentral.com, or www.talkbass.com, you should get a wider audience to participate in this poll, including the dude who bought a Fender Jazz, because he wanted a slimmer neck................and that may give more crucial information for Warwick..............In any case, the Warwick market will only expand if this CS option exists right ?? So why not go for it ?? :D

Reaction score
The Insane said:
It would be nice to have this option, although I won't use it. The bass I played before my Warwick had a really slim neck, changing to my Streamer was easy.
I wonder if the more mass of wood resulting in a thicker/slimmer neck would affect the tone?

The only theory I've heard is sustain; the more cross section you have, the less vibrational resistance, hence increased sustain. Interestingly, this theory seems to be applicable if you switch from 4 to 5 string bass too, since the neck is thicker....................I've only read about this, and I'm not sure to what extent this is audible............... :wink:

Reaction score
ThirdthumB said:
diitriss said:
ThirdthumB said:
P.S.

Agreed...

That's a good point too.............but one of the problems could be that the ones who didn't buy a Warwick for this reason..............are not here to vote !!! Most of the people here own a Warwick, or are dreaming of getting one; they (generally) don't mind the current neck profile...............So maybe the poll could give a biased view of the potential "Warwick market". Maybe, hypothetically, if this poll was put on, say www.basscentral.com, or www.talkbass.com, you should get a wider audience to participate in this poll, including the dude who bought a Fender Jazz, because he wanted a slimmer neck................and that may give more crucial information for Warwick..............In any case, the Warwick market will only expand if this CS option exists right ?? So why not go for it ?? :D

Very true indeed...
That would hold truth eitherway though! (meaning rephrasing the question as you sugested).
People reading this topic should really consider these comments !

Reaction score
i think a lot of people wont give warwicks a chance because they're convinced that the want a realy "thin fast" neck and warwicks are supposed to have thick necks. therefore people turn away from warwick on principle without just gving them a fair go

O

odominguez

Right now we're working on a project to include at least another neck profile to the list of custom options we offer in the forum. But PLEASE DO NOT send emails to the custom shop asking about this just now, wait until we release the information on the global site, or until I post it here in the forums. Give us a few months.

Reaction score
FMJ said:
But on other occasions in shops, Ive picked up Bolt ons (Corvettes and Thumbs) and basically put them straight back on the shelf because of their necks being basically unplayable for me and this is probably a reason why I never got along with these two models.

I think my friend who bought the Jazz Bass actually tried the Thumb Bolt-On and had the same reaction.

Top Bottom