Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Please Help Questions 1986 Warwick Thumb 5 String

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by Eduardo_maynez, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Eduardo_maynez

Eduardo_maynez

Here is the pic

2. Eduardo_maynez

Eduardo_maynez

Can I email the picture to anyone here ? May be someone can post it for me !
    I have become in love with old Warwick basses from the 80,s; I just bought 2 Dolphin basses from 1990 both of them . They are being shipped I’m very excited ! I have a buzzard also from 1990 and it’s one of the most aggressive basses I have heard ! In total I have 9 vintage Warwick basses . I am super happy with all of them!

3. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

4. Eduardo_maynez

Eduardo_maynez

Hoggles, PaulS and DiMarco like this.
  5. Eduardo_maynez

Eduardo_maynez

So here’s the picture
    The A 062 86 is written twice ! Is the wood Bubinga or Azfelia ?
    Thanks indeeed for your help !
    Lalo Garcia

6. Toepfer

Toepfer Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

Pepe
    Looks like Bubinga to me.
    But I don't get how Nr.62 is built in January and Nr. 015 is built in July.

7. Eduardo_maynez

Eduardo_maynez

Me neither ! But indeed it seems this bass is from January of 1986; Which would make it one of the very first Thumb 5 strings ever made.

8. Toepfer

Pepe
    Yes, it must be one of the very first 5 String thumbs. The only question is, if it is the 62nd 5 string Thumb ever made (or the 62nd Thumb ever made). Maybe they changed the serial count shortly after yours (as I said - I have G 015, which would be July 86) and started to give the 5 strings their own (new) numbers. That would be the only explanation I can think of.
    Do you have any problems with the B string? On mine the B string is not as loud as the other 4 strings and HPW said that this was a known problem with the first 5 string thumbs - thats why they changed the angle of the pickups for the 87 Thumbs.

9. Ebolution

Ebolution

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A082 87

10. Eduardo_maynez

Eduardo_maynez

I think the 62nd thumb bass ever made could be possible ; especially because the thumb started in the middle of 1985. So yes that could make sense ! Definitely one of the very first 5 strings.
    The B string is great ! No decrease in volume at all on this one !
    Thanks for all your help !
    Soon I will post my new dolphin basses from 1990.
    Lalo Garcia

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  11. Hoggles

Hoggles Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

The 4 string JD Thumb first began official production in January '85 (probably actually December of '84). The earliest known JD in the wild is A003 85. Yours is not the 62nd Thumb (in total) made. Possibly the 62nd 5'er, yes. Again though, that serial of A62 86 isn't correct. It essentially can't be. It does not line up with the other known "stamped" serials of Thumb 5'ers (or 4's even) from that time period. Who knows what happened in the factory when that was written down, twice....but it simply doesn't add up. Seems as if they got the year wrong. Or month. Or something. And back to the point of it for sure not being the 62nd Thumb in total.... By January of 1986, they we're already in to the 300's for 4 strings.

Anyhoot.

What we so know for sure, is that it's one of the first 5'er JD's, simply because of the extreme pup angle. I'm glad @Ebolution posted his January 87 JD. That shows the early '87's still had that angle.

The serial written in there is indeed an oddity. Rest assured, you have an early 5'er :) As for wood, it looks like Bubinga, with that oranginsh tint...but as far as other 5'ers with that pup angle...it seems it should be Afzelia.

12. Toepfer

Pepe
    G 015 is definitely Bubinga

Hoggles likes this.
  13. Eduardo_maynez

Eduardo_maynez

Check this one in eBay
    An 86 thumb with the newer bridge !
    Sometimes things don’t add up with vintage Warwicks serial numbers!

Killer bass anyway ...

1986 Warwick Thumb Bass NT | eBay

Hoggles and PaulS like this.
  14. PaulS

PaulS Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

Indeed, my Dolphin Pro II has NO serial number lol

Hoggles likes this.
  15. Hoggles

Hoggles Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

Yeah this one is an odd one...for several reasons, not just the serial being one of those head scratcher serials.

It's been modded in a couple of ways. Notice the little switch on the rear cover. Also, an unusual dark patch, under the 9 volt compartment. And I'm not so certain that's the original finish, partly because it just has that look and that patch on the back. It's weird. Not quite the right shape for a 18v Mod. It does however look awfully similar to the shape of the Schaller bridge base. Hmmm

I know Schlo has mentioned that it was not unheard of for a few customers to have a Schaller bridge replaced, by Warwick, with a 2 piece bridge....but who knows what the deal is with that patch on the back. Maybe they tried to patch the original Schaller base footprint, with wood from the back. DIY project. Can't see Wick doing that. Just pure speculation on my part. The earliest 2 piece bridge I know of, is from January of '87, on one of the first SSII's. So it is possible that an '86 Wick could have had the 2 piece. No doubt the 2 piece bridge was designed at least by the end of '86.

And then.... there is the odd serial #. It doesn't line up with Thumbs from 86. If that bottom number really is 1215, it matches up with the serials of '88 Thumbs. Also, no JD on the truss cover, which an '86 would "normally" have, unless it had the custom mother of pearl truss cover. Lastly, the rear strap button is in the original '85-'87 position. Haha.

So yeah, this is an odd one to say the least. Hard to know what's going on here from just these pics. If that serial hasn't been modified in some way....it really is strange that it doesn't line up with the rest of the production. As you know, there are stories/legends of necks and bodies being finished with long intervals in-between. Maybe a neck gets stamped an 86 with no serial...then it isn't finished until '88. Thus having the 2 piece, 1215 serial and no JD on the cover. :rolleyes: just sayin' :D

Again, this is just speculation on my part, for what is one of those odd serial Wicks. You're right, they don't always add up.

The original case foam is in surprisingly good shape, though you can tell it's disintegrating a bit. Those first orange hard cases are the best. I just refoamed mine. I'll have to post some pics.

imabuddha likes this.
  16. Eduardo_maynez

Eduardo_maynez

My other thumb bass February 1987
    Painted by Andy Platter (rare !)

Attached Files:

Hardy likes this.
  17. Eduardo_maynez

Eduardo_maynez

804BCA45-D0D1-4C64-8025-1C31DA3CF595.png

jester, Hardy, Hoggles and 1 other person like this.
  18. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

Bubinga

19. Hardy

Hardy Good Vibe Sponsor

20. jester

jester ocdemon Moderator

Yanni
    Nuts! Looks in awesome shape too. I think these are switchable SDs, right? A rarity as well. Wonder how they work.