Picolo bass - Try this

Reaction score
As a former guitarist, and thankfully only bass player nowadays, I needed a good solo instrument. I first thought of using a tenor bass (ADGC) + a piccolo bass (EADG, octave higher). However I ended up with a 6-string Corvette Proline with maple body and Bartolini pickups, stringed it with D'Addario 095 - 020 (the highest three from their piccolo string set. I have tuned it EADGBE like a guitar but one octave lower and it covers everything from a 4-string bass to a middle register of a guitar . The sound? - Amazin! With some delay and chorus it has got some of the most beautiful sounds I've heard.

Has anyone else got any special experiences? - Share them.

Here is mine:

Reaction score
sounds really interesting! have you got some soundsamples to share with us?
another question: do you had to specially adjust you bass (nut, bride etc.) to fit the needs for this tuning? the string tension must be less stronger than the tesion caused by normal strings? an what about you pu´s? are those some kind of special pu´s or do you really use standart 6-string bartolinis?
freaky stuff, but so far i seem to like it! :eek: :D :eek: :D

Reaction score
Actually, the bass is a -94 and the only thing I have changed is the nut (made new screws with narrower space for the strings). The Bartolini pick ups are the standard ones. I have had no problems with the less tension at all. I have no sound samples at all and sometimes you have to hear sounds live to fully appreciate it. What I have to do with all my basses is to set the action very low. I have a broken neck and sit in wheelchair - the positive is that I don't need a neck strap :wink: and the weight is no problem because I play with crossed legs with the bass on one leg. The negative is that I lack some fine motor functions in the hands, therefore the low action.

Whatever - just go and experiment and have fun!

Reaction score
you mean, you are permanently bound to a wheelchair? man, i can´t belive how much this must suck! bot on the other hand, therefore i find it great, that you play bass an continue to make music! that is really awesome!

Reaction score
Well, permanently yes but that is no big deal, it is 30 years since I crached so I have lived all my adult life in a chair but I have worked in almost every country in the world and have had a great life. Ooops, now I am drafting out of the bass talk. My conclusion is that playing the bass is the great oasis where I get energy to keep on working for the daily bread.
Take care all of you out there and keep on grooving.

Reaction score
you mean, you are permanently bound to a wheelchair? man, i can´t belive how much this must suck! bot on the other hand, therefore i find it great, that you play bass an continue to make music! that is really awesome!

I think that your testimony has to give motivation for all of us! I respect each person who never stop fighting for a good cause!

Blessings,
Zoltan

Reaction score
mala said:
Well, permanently yes but that is no big deal, it is 30 years since I crached so I have lived all my adult life in a chair but I have worked in almost every country in the world and have had a great life. Ooops, now I am drafting out of the bass talk. My conclusion is that playing the bass is the great oasis where I get energy to keep on working for the daily bread.

Just keep the bassfingers going, and the weelchair can roll for itself. As long as you keep the hands and head working, it doesn`t matter if the feet stay put. 8)

*kudos*

Reaction score
I love my Warwick Piccolo!

Hey Guys,

Being a Stanley Clarke fan I recently bought a Corvette Standard 4-string with the bubinga body and a 30-inch short scale neck. I converted it to a piccolo and it sounds great! I recorded a Christmas CD last year and used the piccolo for melodies and "guitar" chords.

Now I am thinking of getting a piccolo fretless! Ooooo...the possibilities!

Any other wild Warwicks out there?

Dale

Reaction score
Charmand G said:
mala said:

Just keep the bassfingers going, and the weelchair can roll for itself. As long as you keep the hands and head working, it doesn`t matter if the feet stay put. 8)

*kudos*
Thanks a lot, at parties I can always claim that I am so drunk so I cannot walk 8) The hands are my real problems, when I broke my neck the fine motor functions were effected, especially on my right hand. I had been working as pro guitarist before but it's impossible. I am doing quite well on the bass, doing my own style but if anyone out there has any great tips for better right hand exercises, I would be pleased to take them on (sorry for all left handies, but I think you understand).

Reaction score
i was teaching a lot of bass-beginners, some time ago, and i´m a big fan of single hand exercises, so maybe i could hook you up with some stuff, but i don´t know, how much it would suit your needs. A beginner can increase his capabilities very easy, but you suffer from a different problem. have you got "guitar Pro" software (must have software!!!)? than i could mail you some exercises

Reaction score
Thanks a lot, I appreciate everything that could improve my technique. I am not really a beginner, played guitar professionally for 15 years and can make some "stunts" on the bass too with my left hand but the right hands make me cheat. I wanna be much better on string skipping and faster (with accuracy). Never gonna make it like Stanley or Victor (heroes) but I know that there are no shortcuts. The software I have is Sebelius G7 and Cubase

Reaction score
mala said:
I have tuned it EADGHE like a guitar

H??

Cool - they've invented a new note! I'll have to learn to slip that in from time to time!

Reaction score
JazzMan said:
mala said:

H??

Cool - they've invented a new note! I'll have to learn to slip that in from time to time!
:lol: Well, when I was a little boy (just after the dinosaurs left us) we learned the notes H instead of B because B meant Bb, especially when speaking Swedish. We still get confused sometimes in the band. Someone says "it should be a B there" and tI play a Bb. But on the other hand it give you a new perspective new harmonies :?

Reaction score
mala said:
JazzMan said:
mala said:

H??

:lol: Well, when I was a little boy (just after the dinosaurs left us) we learned the notes H instead of B because B meant Bb, especially when speaking Swedish. We still get confused sometimes in the band. Someone says "it should be a B there" and tI play a Bb. But on the other hand it give you a new perspective new harmonies :?

i thought it was something like that. I think I've seen H on music before and managed to work out what it meant. I think in France they don't use letters at all for the notes – they use do, re, mi, fa, so, la, ti, do. So communicating with a Frenchman about what key to play in is even more of a challenge!

Reaction score
actually, there is no H in german notes, but an h :p the difference is little, but i´ll tell you why:

long long time ago, books where copyed by monks. but they dind´t wrote the books, they "painted" copys, and so the b was transformed into an h (one missing line). thats why germans talk of an h instead of an b.
I only use the notes cdefgabc. the h just dosen´t fit in.

Reaction score
I have that problem here too. Whenever I tell people in my band to start with a b they play a Bb :(.

What kind of monk would be dumb enough to write: ahcdefg? It's so senseless. You just can't rely on the church. I've been saying it for years :D .

Top Bottom