Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Picks

Discussion in 'Maddrakkett's Caffe' started by The Kool-Aid Kid, Jan 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. The Kool-Aid Kid

The Kool-Aid Kid

Been learning this new RB Vette and I found out she likes to be picked much more than my Jazz did. This thing sounds absolutely amazing with a pick, and I'm not even that good with them.

Anybody else use picks? I've got some 3mm Dunlop Big Stubby's right now, because they were out of 2mm when I went shopping... I thought they'd be too thick but I'm getting used to how meaty they are.

2. naetog

naetog

I still don't pick a bass, but I've been using one more since I've been trying to play :xguitar:x lately.

maybe I should give it a try....

3. The Kool-Aid Kid

The Kool-Aid Kid

You get better attack and a more controlled sound with picks, but most guitar picks are like 1mm-ish and those are too floppy for bass picks. 2mm+ are needed, I definitely recommend Stubbys.

4. Petrichor

Petrichor

I dunno about 1mm being too thin for bass picks personally. I play in a black metal band, so to suit the music I play with a pick for gigs, and I've always played with 1mm picks. Just my personal experience.

5. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

Try lighter picks too... ;-)

6. Gastrok

Gastrok

I use a variety of picks depending on what kind of attack I'm after....they range from light to heavy gauge. My all around favorites are the Dava Rock Control Picks:

http://www.davapick.com/

7. drews

drews

thinner

+ 1 to softer picks. I've always played metal, always with a pick, always .75mm. I think it gives you more control over the dynamics. 1 mm on my ABG

8. Benjamin

Benjamin

+1 to thinner pics
    My fav is .8mm esp pick with a rubbery grip. I always drop my pics, but I drop this specific pic less often.
    I only use pick on one of my bands songs, it's a fast one, and I find it's easier to get the speed with the pick than with my fingers.

9. The Kool-Aid Kid

The Kool-Aid Kid

My 3mm ones have a hand-grippy thing in the middle and they taper down to a point on the end. I've borrowed my sisters maybe .75mm guitar picks and they just seem floppy. I had some 1mm Stubby's that had the same problem.

10. BassPlyr Randy

BassPlyr Randy Long Winded SOB

I use a pick the majority of the time and I have never liked anything that stiff.... My fav is Dunlop Nylons .46 and .60.. but alot of the time I will hold my thumb and finger like I was holding a pick, but then use my finger nail.

11. gonzosc1

gonzosc1

I'm glad this got mentioned cause I was gonna ask about it today myself. I never liked using a pick. the sound of it does not bother me but I get a cramp in that muscle right where your thumb meets your hand. it cramps so bad after about a minute or so of playing that I have throw it down and shake my hand out. hurts like hell!

well a new song was mentioned at a band meeting(cover band) so I gotta get a pick moving for this one. but thank god its just for a 20 second bass intro for the song. the rest of the song I can do with my fingers.
    about thickness. this might be a dumb question but what the hell.
    does anyone have a preference of thickness for centain styles of playing. the intro I need to do is just a short spot of arpeggios. I've learned the intro already but can't get it up to speed and clean sounding with my fingers. so what thickness pic would you use for arpeggios, or where should I start?

for those that want to know what song it is.
    its Testament's, Souls of black. don't know it, check it on youtube, cool bass intro!!!!!

12. Doog

Doog

I do what Randy does, I can never hold onto a pick, and it also makes my thumb hurt like a bastitch. I used to use a banjo pick that wraps around the thumb, but they're tough to up and down. so it limits how fast you can play. Now I just hold my hand like I've got a pick and use my index finger. From the later vids that looks like what Entwistle's doing too.

13. Alchemist

Alchemist Warwick Endorser

I use a pick from time to time: Dunlop matchpick that are 1mm. But mostly a finger-player.

The song chooses the pick or finger.

14. Petrichor

Petrichor

Yeah, I know those big stubbys as well, that hand grip is actually a pain in the ass. It's just there because of the texture of those picks.

If you like the tapered point picks, the Steve Vai picks Ibanez make are great for that. The material they're made of is quite tactile so they don't slip out of your fingers.

[​IMG]

Try metal picks as well, they're great fun, the sound of those is quite unique. The only problem with them is that if you like to play at an angle so the pick 'brushes' off the string at the tip, it can sound quite dissonant due to the scraping of metal on metal. Then again, I've only ever played with roundwounds so I don't know what that would be like on flatwounds...

15. BassPlyr Randy

BassPlyr Randy Long Winded SOB

Like I said, my preference is Dunlop Standard Nylons .46 & .60

[​IMG]

But over the years, and just recently on this forum, I've heard people talking about using metal picks and the interesting sound variation they can get from them. Sorry, I just don't get it....

[​IMG]

Now while I agree that using a metal pick like this one probably would make an interesting sound as I hit the strings with it, but it seems to me that it would be more of a one time thing, leaving very little room for practice. It would also seem to me that this technique would be best utilized on a rented or barrowed bass rather than one of my own. (Trujo, didn't you say you were going to let me check out you NT Thunb?)

You know, I think this pick would be easier to handle....

[​IMG]

While it might be easier to handle, I think it would deliver less sustain as the previous pick due to it's lack of bulk. Then again, that same lack of bulk would make it speedier and would be a much better choice for speed metal players.

But as I stated before, I don't see the appeal of metal picks for playing bass. Although, I do have to admit... I have seen some electric guitars that could use the benefit of a metal pick. :twisted:

16. The Kool-Aid Kid

The Kool-Aid Kid

I've seen some $7 1.5mm camel bone picks that I would love to try out, and some wooden ones. There's a guy on eBay that sells picks made out of old silver quarters. Bass strings are kind of expensive though, I can imagine metal picks would just eat them.

17. gonzosc1

gonzosc1

LOL, yeah it hurts just like that,,LOL

I have tried the banjo pick too, I kind of like them. but they ride too high up on your thumb to generate any real speed.
    if someone could make a wrap around banjo style pick that would sit where the normal position of a pick would be, I would be in heaven!

18. Grgzilla

Grgzilla

It's great to see people discussing picks without all the snobbyness & abuse,like ya read on TB whenever picks are mentioned.
    As far as I'm concerened,I dont really care how ya hit the strings,as long as you're having fun with it.That's all that matters.

19. Gastrok

Gastrok

I tried a metal pick once...my coated Elixers were not too happy about it!
    for the first time in my life I knew the real meaning of "shred"...

20. Alchemist

Alchemist Warwick Endorser

When you use metal picks, aren't you afraid to "cut" your strings into pieces?