Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Pedals You Want To Try

Discussion in 'Bass Pedals, Effects & Preamps' started by Bassist4Eris, Jan 26, 2018.

1. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

Coming up. It is currently in the fx loop of the HeadRush and going through an Ampeg 8x10 IR + whatever Mic modelling I choose.
    Got any wishes? Want to hear it with a specific type of bass? I have the Dolphin as my only Warwick, Zon Sonus and the Fodera Empire as probably the best options.

The Royal Jelly will be compared with Tech21 YYZ and Darkglass Alpha-Omicron on the overdrive side, and Big Muff Bass, Way Huge Russian Pickle and Catalinbread Giygas on the fuzz side of things, as the Royal Jelly is both a fuzz and an overdrive, or anything in between.

I might throw in some modelled OD and Fuzz from the HeadRush itself as well to show how modern digital toys stack up to analog pedals these days...

Fuzz_on_the_Headrush.jpg

Nachobassman and Bassist4Eris like this.
  2. Nachobassman

Nachobassman Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!

Ok... I think this Hot Wax sounds amazing on bass...
    Another one to the GAS (or PAS) list.

Bassist4Eris likes this.
  3. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris

Steve Gregory
    These aren't "pedals I want to try" anymore. They're pedals I just did try. :cool: But since I didn't think this deserved its own thread, I figured I'd post it here.

A couple days ago our keyboardist (who also plays guitar and bass) asked me if I had a bass OD he could borrow. I don't actually own any bass-specific ODs (except for the Boss that's allegedly arriving today) but I brought him four ODs that IMHO are bass friendly: the Way Huge Green Rhino, the Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, the Big Game Bedlam v2, and the EXH Glove. He then asked me if I'd like to borrow any in return. I took the following four pedals home with me, and tested them all with guitar (Epiphone SG) and two of them with bass (Carvin LB76W, in passive mode). My thoughts:

DOD FX-25 Envelope Filter. This one is a favorite of Flea's. I think, for bass, it would be vastly improved by a clean blend and a bit more tweakability. For me it colors the tone of the bass too much. On guitar it's another story. I think this is one of the best sounding envelope filters I've ever tried on guitar. Sounds great with an OD in front of it too. Speaking of which....

EHX Soul Food. This one loses low end on bass (not surprising since there's also a bass-specific version) but sounds quite nice on guitar. Of the two ODs I borrowed, this one is more transparent. I would bet the bass version is great for those who just want a hint of hair without losing their basic tone. It's a Klon clone, and the circuit is quite beloved by our egg-slicing brethren, but to be honest the OD that's going to eventually separate me from my money is the...

Boss BD-2 Blues Driver. I didn't even bother trying this one on bass, but on guitar it's exactly the lead tone I've been seeking. I may even re-amp some of my guitar parts from the new Uneven Steven record through it.

Dunlop CBM95 Crybaby Mini Wah. I didn't try this one on bass either. Basically it's a Crybaby, but in a tiny housing (about the size of a Boss pedal). I suppose this is to better fit on a pedalboard, but frankly I'm not impressed with the idea. In order to use it comfortably I had to center my foot on it (with my toes hanging way off the front and my heel way off the back) and it seems to be that on a pedalboard this would risk engaging or tweaking any pedals in the row above or below it. I do want a wah for guitar eventually, but I think I'll just get a full-size one.

4. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris

Steve Gregory