Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

$$ overdrive

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by Jacobrownoly, Jul 22, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Jacobrownoly

Jacobrownoly Guest

I own a Peavey TKO 115 75 watt amp, Its not the best amp in the world a can tell u that lol but when I play my $$ through it, it distorts it BAD , is this just because my $$ is too powerful for this amp or is it to do with the bass???? it only distorts when I play the strings hard and when on active, I never play on active mode cause of this amp, do u think it is the amp or is there somthing wrong with my $$??????:(

I hope to get a Profret 5.1 soon tho:)

2. Mr Bassman Sax

Mr Bassman Sax

My $$'s do exactly the same so unless I am actually using distortion I have to remember not to hit too hard. I use the x-treme 10.1 and it does the same. It's not bad but it is annoying. I did lower my pick ups and that made a fair difference.

3. boebl

boebl

Sometimes, when hitting hard it can happen that your strings touch the open polepieces on the PUs.
    That's also a problem i found myself confronted.

I'm using the Peavey TNT 115 - the bigger brother.
    Also try to adjust the input in right ratio.

4. Stroud

Stroud

i got this with my yamaha. it happens when you have pickups with open pole pieces. if you dig in loads and the string is pulled to close to the poles you get a huge surge of current out of the pickups that overdrives the basses preamp

5. EVOLVEBASS

EVOLVEBASS

It's absolutely your combo. Lowering your pickups would be the first thing to do. But you may also want to try a lower setting on your preamp (gain) and raising your power amp setting (master) to make up the difference...

6. Mr Bassman Sax

Mr Bassman Sax

I didn't realise it was due to the pole pieces being exposed.

I tried with hardly any gain and it made no difference. You just have to be aware of how you play.

7. Stroud

Stroud

yes...if the signal coming out of the bass is overdriven then no matter how low you have the amps gain youll still be getting the overdrivven sound out of your bass

8. EVOLVEBASS

EVOLVEBASS

I'm not sure how much the open poles have to do with it, but the $$ certainly has a huge signal which is why most of us love it in the first place. But it can have a negative effect on smaller amps. Granted, you can overdrive an amp with any pickups with ot without open poles...

9. Thumbintoinfinity

Thumbintoinfinity

That overdriven sound could be the result of a dead battery. Replace it and try again ;)

10. j rug

j rug

I was thinking dead battery too. Also consider how you set the bass and treble boosts. Cranking the bass knob increases the output significantly.

11. Gman

Gman

Does your amp have any visual guide for checking the input? I'd agree with Evolve that you should lower your gain and raise your master level.

Let us know what works!

G

12. saxonbass

saxonbass

Alex... you've just the described the problems I had at my last two gigs when I decided to play my $$. At the second gig I went back to using my trusty Ashdown combo, lowered the gain on my EBS pre-amp and watched the Ashdown meter... so everything behaved a bit better, but I was still surprised to get hints of distortion

This weekend I'll go back to pounding Hell out of my Thumb BO!

13. Nemesis_2509

Nemesis_2509

+1
    If it happens when you play on active mode, the dead battery sounds correct to me. it's at least a good thing to check...

14. Jacobrownoly

Jacobrownoly Guest

I never play the my $$ on active, cause of the overdrive it has on my amp. When on passvie the overdrive always follows a sustained note, why is this????

15. Stroud

Stroud

that definatly sounds like a dead battory or maybe a buggered preamp on either your bass or amp

16. Mr Rabble

Mr Rabble

I don't think the open poles have something to deal.
    Likely you're overdriving the preamp section of your combo
    Turn down the gain level on your combo, it should work

17. Jacobrownoly

Jacobrownoly Guest

Nah, well my other basses dont do this, its just does it on my Warwick $$, mind it does only do it when u play hard, and I play hard cause am into metal and stuff.

18. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Just as a side note to this thread, some well-placed electrical tape over the exposed pole pieces takes care of the popping/distortion people have been talking about. I did it on a jazz bass I had and it worked wonders. Just cut the tape evenly so that it looks nice.

As for the OP, it just sounds like your signal is too hot from your bass. If there is an active/passive pad on your input or a gain control, those can probably solve your problem.

19. Mr Rabble

Mr Rabble

Take another high output bass, with covered poles, and it will distort as well.
    The distortion is due to the output level, which increases as yiu play harder, and not to the open poles.

20. The Insane

The Insane

Did you try your bass with another amp? Any change when boosting/cutting frequencies with your Bass EQ?
    Turn down your volume on the bass about halfway, then turn up the volume on your amp to the normal level. If you still get distortion it's most likey there's something wrong with your preamp/pickups.