Option Knobs and More Pedal Mods

maddrakkett

R.I.P.
Reaction score
My review of Option Knobs

Learn more or order at

I placed an order for 3 Option Knobs and they promptly arrived 3 days later. I've had a little time to try them on my pedals and they are really cool! I put one on the Time pot of my Line 6 ToneCore Echo Park and now I have live real-time control by using my foot to get everything from subtle time changes to the "UFO landing" effect. I put the second one on my Micro Q-Tron Drive control and I get a psudo wah-wah effect along with the normal dynamic filtering! But it will take time to get the hang of controlling it as smoothly as a wah rocker pedal... The last one I put on the Speed control of my ZVEX Seek Wah II (the Option Knob actually fits perfectly right over the micro-size knob on the ZVEX).

The pluses of these cool effects pedal accessories outweigh the minuses, but I will list the only negatives I could find:

There are some drawbacks to be aware of: 1. You will pretty much have to choose one function to control per pedal, as the Option Knob's wing-span takes up the majority of the width of most pedals, unless you have large pedals, so if you attempt more than one O' Knob on a pedal, they will bump wings. 2. If your pedals are close to each other, you have to watch that the wings of the O' Knobs don't hit the side of the pedal next to it (such as a wah pedal that's taller than the knob location on regular pedals) or the wing of an O' Knob on a pedal next to it. 3. If you aren't careful, you can easily break plastic pots (such as those on the Line 6 ToneCore modules). I don't plan on mistreating my pedalboard, but if you get in a band with a wild singer or "guitard" who loves to run all over the stage and your pedalboard, then you might be replacing pedals over and over...whether or not you have the Option knobs...

The drawbacks really aren't a factor though, as you only have one foot free to control one function at a time. Of course I've already found five functions that the O' Knobs will easily handle on my pedalboard and it's so cool to get such control in a live setting without having someone else tweaking the knobs while I play. Having your own control brings a more personal, musical, and natural feel to the performance!

I was skeptical at first, but I've come to find that Option Knobs are an innovative, forward-thinking item that helps in the little things that add to a musician's creativity and success. Sometimes it's the smallest things that make the biggest difference! These are well worth the money and my pedalboard now looks more unique (or ugly) than most!

Here's a couple of pics of them on my PedalLID board:

maddrakkett

R.I.P.
Reaction score
I also spent some time last night modding my ZVEX Seek Wah II. This is an awesome and unique pedal - an 8-step sequencer that steps through wah filters that you set individually for some great funk effects! The problem is, it also thins out your dynamic range, cutting the highs and lows and working only in the low-mid to high-mid range. So I "BASSTardized" it with my usual Blend trimmer mod, only this time, I made it externally accessible.

Here's how it looks and the wiring diagram:

maddrakkett

R.I.P.
Reaction score
My Music ElectroniX also got the same type of mod as my Seek Wah II, but with a standard size external pot/knob:

Top Bottom