Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Offtopic: Covid-19 Pandemic

Discussion in 'Maddrakkett's Caffe' started by DiMarco, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Hoggles

Hoggles Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

Thanks @PaulS. Yeah, this is so incredibly frightening, in so many ways. I'm a property manager, or was one. A week ago I never would have thought this would affect my profession, but I got the boot because a large chunk of the companies income, was from maintenance billed to owners. Now that all non-emergency maintenance is on hold indefinitely...income has been slashed near half. We had hundreds of single family and multifamily properties and maintenance was huge. I never really looked at that aspest of the bizz as something that paid my salary. Several of our property managers were let go yesterday. Crushing. Especially losing health care at a time like this is beyond worrisome.

Sorry to hear about your health issues, but good to hear your profession is an "essential" service. Hope you start to get paid soon on the claim. Yowzer. Yeah, as far as the stimulus goes, I hope they plan on more than just a one or two time payment, or it isn't going to do much good for more than a couple weeks. And the reports of poor people getting only $600 is so f'ed up. I'll be applying for unemployment ASAP....and food stamps I guess. I've never been on either. Crazy.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  2. Hardy

Hardy Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

Let’s hope we do not loose a close friend or family member. I guess my time of hoarding basses is over. I am a tax consultant, I will have work to do. But many clients will fight for survival, I try to keep all my employees, but the times will be bad soon. But then again: I need one bass, my family, a grill for Bratwurst and a cold beer. I try not to panic. My task right now is to be leader of my offices. Playing in the band would help to calm down. But we cancelled rehearsals too.

Hoggles, Hector and Florin like this.
  3. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

Most of the people I know are losing their jobs now. The state will cover 80%, but for how long will this be possible?
    This is not a time to be scared but to man up, and do the right thing, prepare for the worst, hope for the best. And by worst I mean really, really worst, 2nd WW worst... Including famine, criminality, even wars, since it is all about ressources now. Be prepared with food and medicine stocks, be prepared to physically protect yourself, be prepared for alternate heating for the winter, you know, the basics.
    That being said, it will probably last two years, and probably economics will raise quickly after. The disease itself already becomes just a side problem, the social one is the real tragedy.
    But most likely we will not get the virus, and if we get it we will cough a few days, and most likely our basic living will be protected one way or another by our governments. Just don't underestimate what is coming, and be safe. Romania is one month since the first case too, but we were a bit more paranoid it seems, and by now death toll is zero, confirmed infected are a few hundreds, and only 14 or so need special care, only 2 of them ventilation. In my county are zero confirmed cases, still nobody leaves the house anymore, this is the only way to stop the pandemic.
    Replace rehearsals with composing and recording from home, you only need a computer, and interface and your instrument, send your tracks to each other online, and make great music together.
    Stay safe guys!

jester, Hector, PizzaFiend and 2 others like this.
  4. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

Heh. @Hoggles , @PaulS and other American friends hang in there. Over here in the Netherlands we got a social security system in place and everyone has health insurance, job or not. The question is how long this will last if shit really hits the fan.

Reach out to one another on the forum if you feel desperate my friends, many of us are kindred spirits, maybe as a group we can ease the pain. For this exact reason I created that discord server since it has group voice chat and allows direct communication. It will remain online during the entire crisis.

@Florin maybe you can setup the forum chatbox to allow multi room and private rooms? This will enable people to get together and help eachother when they feel down. We all sometimes need a listening ear.

5. Florin

Hi Marco, sure, I'm on it :)

Hardy likes this.
  6. Florin

Done, also gave some extra permissions to have more fun. Let me know if it works.

DiMarco likes this.
  7. DiMarco

Chat Commands

/msg
    Type /msg username followed by a message separated by comma to start a private conversation with someone.

Example: /msg User 1, What's up?

/find
    Type /find followed by a search term to find messages in the current private conversation.

Example: /find best donuts shop
    To return to the conversation, type /new

/rooms
    Type /rooms to display the available chat rooms.

/room
    Type /room followed by a keyword to find a specific room.

/user
    Type /user followed by a username to find messages posted by a specific user.

/rules
    Type /rules to display the chat rules.

/clear

Type /clear to clear all the messages from the chat window (does not delete them).

Hoggles and Florin like this.
  8. Hoggles

Hoggles Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

Just read Netflix is reducing quality over all of Europe, to save bandwidth. I know it's not essential, but sorry everyone. No doubt the US is next. Guess it's time to cancel the 4k subscription.

Any word on Warwick HQ? Have operations stopped?

Thanks @DiMarco, I so wish we had the security of universal healthcare like the majority of the modern world. Ugh. Yeah, hopefully that doesn't collapse for you guys. I'll for sure jump on the Discord group soon and say hi. Thanks for doing that.

My main concern right now is comforting my wife, who before the outbreak had major anxiety since she was a child. Now, she wakes up at 3am with panic attacks and can't get back to sleep. Her anxiety level is off the charts. Not good. Luckily I've never been an anxious or depressed guy and have always had a positive outlook on life. It's definitely time to comfort those people in our family and friend group who already suffered from anxiety and depression. They are really struggling with this, more than we can imagine.

Fingers crossed scientists can find a vaccine quicker than ever. This is going to change things for the better, eventually. The road to that change will suck, but people are going to demand so much more from their leadership after this. Just imagine if corporations actually had to pay taxes...and that tax went into an emergency fund for times like these. Imagine if hospitals, scientists, teachers and emergency workers were funded as well as the military. And the list goes on and on.

Hector likes this.
  9. Hardy

Warwick will slow down too. I hope my project keeps running. The painter will continue to work on my 8 string.

Hector and Florin like this.
  10. BrusselsBass

BrusselsBass Supporting Member

Ulrich
    China lifted the curfew, no new infections (apparently). This means that Europe could follow in 2 weeks time if everyone stays home. CureVac in Germany is close to a vaccine to release in autumn (Trump wanted to buy exclusive rights if the information is correct, but DE govt. wouldn't make this happen).
    OK, stocks are down 1/3 but this would be a good time to buy, not to sell.
    Please don't sell your basses; the economy will be back faster then you can say 'hot chocolate' - this is not 1918!!

PizzaFiend, Bassist4Eris and Florin like this.
  11. BrusselsBass

Ulrich
    On the positive side: spring is coming, no commuting, lots of walks with the doggy ... and playing bass too

Attached Files:

PizzaFiend likes this.
  12. Florin

Here is kinda late autumn/winterish rainy. Netflix :)

13. Hardy

14. BrusselsBass

Ulrich
    Hey - I thought you are in Thuringia?! How do you smuggle Münchner Helles to your home?;)

Hardy likes this.
  15. Hardy

We have a dealer in town! :cool:

PizzaFiend and BrusselsBass like this.
  16. Foal30

Foal30 Supporting Member

Things are slowing down in NZ

Not that things ever seem very fast here anyway

Take care Comrades.

PizzaFiend, BrusselsBass and Florin like this.
  17. Henrythe8

Henrythe8 Dolphin Hoarder

Things are quite OK in the distant and exotic France. Yes, death toll is running. Yes, the wave is ahead of us. Yes, we as a Nation are assholes and some don't understand why we have to stay put at home.
    I'm really blessed, my wife and I are working for a big company, we are protected, we can work from home, we are apparently healthy (even if between Diabetis and heart condition I am at risk), we have food and the ability to get groceries with Drive-thru.
    Our governent seems to take the right actions, or so I think which is quite a surprise for me.
    I'm a bit anguished by the images from Italy, with all those coffins... what a nightmare this must be for peiple losing friends and family.
    The disease itself is not very harmful, but the maths are a bit scary.
    With a "kill rate" of 2%, and a "Danger Rate" of 10%, meaning that 10% of infected people need urgent care, it only takes 150.000 infected people to submerge the 15000 Intensive Care beds available in time of crisis. and within a 60million person country, it's soooo easy to get past that 150000 cases.

Yes, economically it'll be tough, I lost about half my savings placed in Stock Market, so... I do hope it'll bounce up again.
    For the time being, Ijust take pleasur in reading all the comments about animals coming back, fishes in Venice with clear water, dolphins in the Mediterranean, birds in the cities...
    That, my friends, might be a nice wake-up call.

Stay put, stay safe, stay bassy. :)

Hector, Luc67, PizzaFiend and 3 others like this.
  18. DiMarco

Out here the same is happening as in france. People were asked to stay home until april 6. Market booth owners protested so there were markets all over the country last saturday. The weather was nice so people went to markets, parks, beaches en masse, ignoring the rules.

Gov blocked all roads to beaches on sunday and police had to patrol the parks as a result.

Yes people are THAT stupid and ignorant.

I am getting depressed over this, kinda lost faith in humanity. There is no hope.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    Hardy likes this.
  19. Hardy

They do not understand: Stay at home now - get out in April. Stay stubborn - get out in August.

20. Luc67

Luc67 Supporting Member

The economical situation is getting more and more tense ...
    I work in a small aeronautical design office, I am currently in partial unemployment because we don't have any more orders, this morning we received a letter from the boss who said that the government should release aid to finance this partial unemployment, but companies should advance wages when no invoicing is possible. The boss tells us this month we will do everything to pay you, if it lasts longer and the helpers are slow in coming we will no longer be able to square up the problem.
    I think a lot of companies will find themselves in the same situation.