Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Offtopic: Covid-19 Pandemic

Discussion in 'Maddrakkett's Caffe' started by DiMarco, Mar 12, 2020.

1. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

I just want to shout out to my fellow musicians that I hope everyone will see this through alright and that none of us lose any relatives or friends to this corona BLEEP. Just hang in there and don't do anything stupid, k?

The one thing I want off my chest:

DON'T PANIC!

The media are over exaggerating everything like they always do.
    Covid-19 = Big Flu. Weakened people are always at risk, also with common flu.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  2. DiMarco

So do you reckon "Covfefe" has anyhing to do with this? :eek:

3. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris

Steve Gregory
    I'm going to start panic-buying some more effects pedals, just in case.

ectoflanger, eyvindwa, Rehan and 4 others like this.
  4. Hardy

Hardy Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

Wise decision!

PizzaFiend likes this.
  5. Stainless

Stainless

former birthplace of Warwick: Franconia, Germany
    My university starts panic. They cancelled all lectures til eastern, which is basically none for me, because we have lecture free time.
    And now they start cancelling some of my exams, but only when there are too many students in the room(more than 100 students).
    Still i can do my researches, which is most important.

All of my gigs aren't in the risk of being cancelled. In Bavaria they cancel only gigs with more than 1000 participants.
    Luckly my band is too unknown :D

PizzaFiend and DiMarco like this.
  6. Hardy

Thuringia prohibits any meeting of more than 100 persons.

7. Luc67

Luc67 Supporting Member

They feed on our fears, don't let them become obese...

PizzaFiend likes this.
  8. DiMarco

All over the Netherlands gatherings of more then 100 are now prohibited.
    All large events are cancelled starting immediately.
    People with a fever or even a simple cold are asked not to go to work and work from home where possible.
    Universities are asked to hold online sessions rather then gather hundreds of international students.
    Other schools, except for the ones in the province of Brabant remain opened for now.

Sidenote: News reporters (who apparently are not paying ANY attention to what is being said) are currently all asking the same couple questions over and over in different words. Annoying as BLEEP tbh for our prez but so far he just keeps repeating the same answer over and over and over.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  9. DiMarco

Errrrrr... This book was published in 1981.

IMG-20200312-WA0000.jpg

Stainless likes this.
  10. Hector

Hector Moderator Staff Member

OH NO!!! WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!!!

(well, yes, eventually....)

11. Hector

Locally it's no gatherings of over 1000 at all, and only gatherings of 100 to 150 with special local permission.

People are panic buying dry pasta... The TP panic hasn't hit yet, although I'll know when I go shopping tomorrow evening.

12. Hector

Heck, start panic buying Warwick Basses! If you can't play it, you'll be able to use it as a club in the post-WuhanVirus wasteland...

Hardy and Bassist4Eris like this.
  13. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris

Steve Gregory
    The panic buying has definitely started here. Shelves are cleaned out of rubbing alcohol, hand sanitizer, Lysol wipes, and toilet paper. Me? I went to a concert last night. I wasn't about to miss out on Dweezil Zappa and company playing the "Hot Rats" album in its entirety. I was definitely more conscious of what I touched, but I wasn't about to let it get me too worried.

Hardy and Hector like this.
  14. Hardy

We have a house at lake Garda, Italy. That’s why we get news from there. I‘m not panicking, but at least deeply worried. My parents are 70 years old, my parents in law 80. We today decided that my parents deny any contact for the next weeks. We will not go into the flat of our parents in law, who are living with us in the same house. Best thing is that my wife, my child and me go through the infection and will be safe for others after this hopefully. I should mention that my mother is a doc. She always wants to calm down the people. She still stays calm, but does not discuss a lot about it.

PizzaFiend, Rehan, Stainless and 2 others like this.
  15. Hoggles

Hoggles Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

For the first time, my wife and I started thinking we should stock up on necessary household items....just so we can go to the bathroom like normal peeps in a few weeks...months. What this has shown, is the world is totally unprepared for everyone buying the same thing all at once. This will forever change the way people, including us, stock up...prep. I've never been a "prepper"...but we will now forever stock up on certain things, so this isn't ever an immediate concern again.

Like Hardy, I'm most scared for my mother and mother-in-law. 80 and 89. This thing is a killer for older people, not too mention small businesses.

It's easy to pretend you don't care and this is no big deal (and maybe you really don't care or believe, or it's just your defense mechanism)....but please be careful everyone. It's a lot more cool to stay alive and healthy and keep posting on the good vibe zone :)

16. Luc67

Luc67 Supporting Member

We all have to be careful, of course.
    But please, don't panic.
    France is slowly sliding on a dangerous slope. All schools will be closed from monday, we have a ban on visiting the elderly.
    Many companies have already started to take precautions, I myself would have to stop working to keep my childrens at home.
    Maybe are we at the beginning of the end of an era where excessive globalization proves its limits ...

PizzaFiend, Bassist4Eris and Hardy like this.
  17. Hector

I don't know anyone who is actually panicking.. Sure, buying a lot of toilet tissue, buying a lot of dry pasta etc.

They're closing schools as schools are known vectors of transmission for viruses. Children are constantly touching things / each other and then touching their faces etc. They do not know (or are not consciously aware) about how viruses spread, nor about how to prevent them. That is why you close schools.

We aren't at the end of an era. Globalisation hasn't reached its limits, rather it has shown (once again) how dangerous it can be when governments fail to take things like this seriously. China initially censored the doctors who were trying to warn people, rather than take it seriously and try to isolate the spread. Great. Way to go. Just like how China doesn't want anyone calling it the Wuhan Virus, because that is bad publicity. So, marketing now rules a major health emergency. Fantastic, we're doomed.

At the same time, this virus is not like ones in the past which were harder to spread, COVID-19 is actually very easily spread, and apparently before symptoms appear, so how can you fight something when the person in front of you seems 100% healthy?

I am sorry that your work is not compatible with having your children at home. Is there no option that your employer is offering you?

PizzaFiend and Stainless like this.
  18. Hardy

I just prepare my office for homework.

PizzaFiend and Hector like this.
  19. Luc67

Luc67 Supporting Member

The French government is in the process of setting up a compensation system for parents who are obliged to keep their children at home, as is the case for companies that are going to have to go into technical unemployment.
    This is likely to cost society dearly ...

Hector likes this.
  20. EPBBass

EPBBass

I kinda prepare to work more hours if it really comes to an huge outbrake here...
    There isn't enough personal to keep the normal shifts going already, I don't wanna know, how much they can force us to work, if there is a hughe amount of patients comming.

PizzaFiend and Hardy like this.