Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

OD/Distortion Pedal : EBS Sheehan/AshDown LoMenzo/EBS Valvedrive/DarkGlass ?????

Discussion in 'Bass Pedals, Effects & Preamps' started by Henrythe8, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Henrythe8

Henrythe8 Dolphin Hoarder

Won't get it until next week I guess. But definetely will make a review.

2. Henrythe8

OK... Soooo I received the pedal today.
    Of course, sent without box or power supply, and batterie was dead.
    Put a new battery on, plug everything... The Input Jack is also the on/off switch. All plugged and the Vu-Meter for the input level is lit. True bypass, so it's OK.
    And then, I push the biutton and I get an enormous, loud buzzzzzzzzzz. But no sound. The input of the VuyMeter tells me a signal goes in.
    I tweek a bit and by touching the metal knobs, the buzz diminishes. OK, grounding issue when using à battery. Great. (not)

I unplug everything, unscrew the tough metal casing, in case there is an obvious problem... but no.
    Screw it back try angain and... it works.
    Great. (or not).
    I quickly (very quickly, that is one of the best thing in this pedal) find a suitable sound, get up and play, it's really gritty, distortion, a good mix, the sound is loud, powerful, it's.... gone. Poops. No sound, just a buzz. Again. And then it comes back. An off again...

Wrote an email to the seller (professional in NL) to see wjhat will be the policy on this.

I'll keep you posted. But for the brief time it worked,; the pedal was really awesome. tweaking with the frequency selector giives a wide rang of grit, form a basic low freq fuzz up to a nervous wasp nest in the higher range.

3. Henrythe8

Update : the elves worked fine and repaired the output jack. And also, the seller refunded me part of the money. So everything is now fine.
    Since I don't have a video, I'll upload some sound samples via Garage Band as I usually do. It has the quality of being direct recording.
    Anyway.
    For the text part :
    You've seen it and there is a video of James LoMenzo himself presenting the pedal. It's a pretty looking one, (the pedal) and it looks sturdy. IN and OUT jack are on the upper sides (as opposed to the lateral sides). So is the power In. The Battery box is underneath and requires a small Screwdrive.
    There is a lighted Vu-metrer in order to dial in the input level. I personnaly like it as I have passive, passive P'ups with active elec and Active p'ups with active elec in the stable.
    The controls are : Input Level, Frequency, with Q switch, gain with +10 switch, blend and output level.

I fumbled around a bit and it's really easy to find your sound.
    What I did was turn off the Q and +10 switches (flipping them up), dialled the blend to the right (processed signal only), and started playing, while turning the Frequency pot. This allowed me to find the right freq where the harmonics resonate.
    I then dialled back the blend and "voilà". a nice distorted sound ready for some Michael Anthony Tapping frenzy. A bit of levelling the output so it's the same level when "off", and you're good to go.
    I tweaked it a bit by playing with the blend and Q switch (which bradens the frequency that are processed), and flipping the +10db switch gives a really aggressive sound.

Positive points :
    -Looks good IMO.
    - Easy to dial a proper souind
    - Great sounding pedal, offers a wide range of sound.

Negative points :
    - Noisy as any other distortion pedal, especially if frequencies are in the high zone.
    - You have to memorize of dial a new setup for each bass you have if you really want to be anal about it.
    - Bigger than other pedals, don't know if it'll fit any pedalboard.

4. NeonVomit

NeonVomit

Wow, pity about the initial problems but at least they got sorted. I guess memorising the setup is typical for any pedal!