No sound from Thumb's Active EQ on Bass Pod XT

Reaction score
Hi all

I hope you can help me.

My Bass Guitar is a 1991 Warwick 6 String Thumb Bass NT with Bartolini Pickups.

I've added a picture of the internals for reference.

I bought a used Bass Pod XT this past weekend. It seems to work fine when my Bass Guitar's pickups are set to passive. I need to pull the volume knob up the set it to passive.

When I push the volume knob in it activates the Active EQ (Bass & Treble).

That is where my trouble starts. When the Active EQ is enabled there is no sound going in or coming out. It I crank the Volume and Channel Volume to full blast then I hear a very soft bass tone that sounds flanged.

I then pull out the cable from the Pod and insert it immediately in my amp and my Bass Guitar works 100%. On passive and active.

I then connected my Bass Guitar to a pre-amp first and then the Bass Pod had sound on both settings - active and passive.

I plug my Bass Guitar back in to the Pod directly and it's dead when set to Active, but will play when the passive is selected.

I have tried a gazillion different cables and nothing worked. I fidgeted with the input jack socket, but nothing.

I wonder if my actives don't interfere or conflicts with something and encounters resistance? It may be that my guitar sends a signal that the pod doesn't want or some form of signal is transmitted to my guitar that makes it go silent?

The day before I bought my Pod XT (with the LCD screen) I played on the First Gen Bass Bod with the red LED numbering lights. There it all worked fine when I was in active.

I have never encountered a problem like this.

The battery is brand new, and I even tried old batteries.

I did everything I could think of to try before I came here. It is specifically only a problem when I plug my Bass Guitar directly into the Pod XT and have the Active EQ enabled.

Has anyone here ever came across this situation?

I would greatly appreciate any advise. The Pod that I bought was hardly used. And it works perfectly fine with any other guitar.

And lastly, what is the white box on the picture?with what seems like a pod that can be turned? It's currently set do dead centre.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20210629_034905.jpg
    20210629_034905.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 88

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Reaction score
Hi. Great choice of bass.
Seems to me the issue is with your bass Pod. Is it the pedal or the "bean" version ?
I have a BassPod XT live, and had a similar issue. IIRC the issue was that I didn't use the correct setting on the BassPod. And also I had the wrong imput.
I'd suggest you check with the pod and the manual.

Reaction score
Hi! Thanks!

It's the bean pod. I don't know of any other input? Unless I'm missing something?

Attachments

• 20210627_184539.jpg
    20210627_184539.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 85

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Reaction score
There are two on the pedalboard, hence my question.
Fisrt things first, You might want to check where the input volume/pad function is, so you can lower the input when the active circuitry is on.

Are you playing on the amp, or with headphones ?
If playing with an amp, make sure the output is set to Model. And that your headphones are plugged in the phone out.
Also, if playing with an amp, make sure you have the Tune/System set up for this.

Make sure you play with the output volume of the pod, and not only the volume of the amp simulation used. See also if the Channel Volume is right.

Last edited:

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
I distilled that it works fine in passive mode, not in active mode. This is the one and only problem and it only happens when hooked up directly to the Pod.

Have you tried putting a (buffered) pedal in between the bass and the Pod? Any tuner pedal might do the trick.
The problem is caused by the Pod, not the bass. I am trying to create a workaround.

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Reaction score
Yes he did with a preamp. But great idea with the tuner. Adding a preamp before a basspod is a wee bit overkill.
My guess is the input setting on the BassPod.
That shit is sensitive in order to emulate correctly the amps.

Reaction score
I distilled that it works fine in passive mode, not in active mode. This is the one and only problem and it only happens when hooked up directly to the Pod.

Have you tried putting a (buffered) pedal in between the bass and the Pod? Any tuner pedal might do the trick.
The problem is caused by the Pod, not the bass. I am trying to create a workaround.
I'm going to give that, as well as the input setting a try. Thanks for all the advise.

Reaction score
Yes he did with a preamp. But great idea with the tuner. Adding a preamp before a basspod is a wee bit overkill.
My guess is the input setting on the BassPod.
That shit is sensitive in order to emulate correctly the amps.
Yes, it's a hassle with cables as well as an additional power supply for the pre-amp. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks again.

Reaction score

I used my Boss Tuner pedal and believe it or not it worked perfectly... for a while...

It just faded out and then there was no sound on either passive or active.

I know this sounds implausible and my head aches thinking how or what is causing this. It's as if the pod sucks the bass guitar dry or the pod tries to compensate, but it doesn't make a difference whether I supply a low or high volume signal.

I even changed the input and output settings. It doesn't affect the problem.

I honestly don't know anymore. I was baffled that the pedal did the trick and then it stopped working as well.

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Reaction score
That pod unit seems defective.
you might want to try a line6 forum, or even maybe their hotline. It’s an old unit, if the issue is common you’ll have quickly an answer.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
The Thumb NT uses a stereo jack out socket which it also uses to engage/disengage the battery.
Maybe the POD is affected by the 9v battery in the circuit somehow. Could it be the stereo jack out inside your Thumb is somehow faulty?
I am kinda guessing here... I'd contact Warwick directly if I were you. I forgot if you need [email protected] or another e-mail address though.

Reaction score
Do you think it would help to try a balanced cable? I don't have one at hand, but I can buy one tomorrow?

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. You have gone beyond of what is expected.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Nope that won't help. The TRS output is only in place so that the TS jackplug will switch on the battery while in place.

Top Bottom