New To Me Vette In Route.

Reaction score
Real Name
Tom Baker
OK, I ordered a Corvette standard bubinga 6 off GC used for a grand(US). It will be here Friday and I'm not posting to the corvette club (yet) because I'm not sure if I'm going to dig it. It is an older model with the wenge and 6er's rarely stay in my life long. The actual condition of the instrument regardless of how GC listed it is suspect until I open the box. How much will it weight? More than my former Thumb NT5? That thing was 13lbs. Lots of unknowns but that is what the trial period is for. Also the pics on the website were crap so I had to Gimp a few first to make sure it was what I thought it was.

Here are a before and after shots (google album)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/SCCAnPXo2DZFx07w2

I have 2 4-strings vettes I love so we'll see what happens.

Hardy

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
So let’s hope this one will convince you! Have fun with it!

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
Congrats, it should balance nicely (for a 6er).

No fivers?

PaulS

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Looks pretty nice , I hope you enjoy it

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
I always found out I wasn't ever using my C string on any of my few six stringers owned in the past, only ever playing high notes way up the neck because they sound fuller there and there's at least 24 frets anyway. For this reason I am sticking to 5 string basses.

Selling my 4 strings (the rics and Pbass) later this year to finance a custom 5. Maybe also flog the Zon Sonus if needed.

I hope this time round the sixxer will turn out to be the one for you, Tomb!

Reaction score
Real Name
Tom Baker
I'm hoping it will knock my socks off and I'm really curious about how much it will weigh, feel, sound, etc. The only 5 I have right now is my EBMM Stingray 5 fretless. I sold my Bongo 6 for a decent profit due to under use and honestly if it had been a single H model I might have kept it. The front humbucker was obtrusive and I'm pretty lazy when it comes to modifying instruments. I like bongo's but wish there were more non-basswood models around like some of the special editions they do on occasion.

I have found with my 4 string bubinga vette is it get's 95% of the way to sounding like a Thumb but with better ergonomics (for me) and I'm hoping that will be the case with this one. I would love a Thumb 6 but don't know how long the awkwardness of reaching out to the end of the neck would take to get on my nerves. Covettes just sit better for my build.

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
I have found with my 4 string bubinga vette is it get's 95% of the way to sounding like a Thumb

I find it amazing that you find it sounds so much like a Thumb. To me Corvettes sound full and traditional due to the pickups being placed relatively close to the neck, but not quite Thumb-like.

Reaction score
Real Name
Tom Baker
I find it amazing that you find it sounds so much like a Thumb. To me Corvettes sound full and traditional due to the pickups being placed relatively close to the neck, but not quite Thumb-like.

I run it about 80/20 to the bridge pickup and also added a bartolini preamp for a bit more lows/highs. I guess it's YMMV thing but it works for me.

Reaction score
Real Name
Tom Baker
it's only 8;54 AM here...so it's out on the truck for delivery.

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Reaction score
OK. So it's 16:08 (4PM) here. *spoiler alert* : this day is pretty blah.
:)

Reaction score
Real Name
Tom Baker
OK, it's a 97 and the frets are very low, but level. Probably had a few fret jobs in it's life. The neck is great. Like it better than either of my former Thumb 5s. I know the spacing is technically the same as the Thumb 5's but it doesn't feel as cramped to me. I think this is a byproduct of the respective ergonomics of the 2 different body styles. It's lighter than I expected but I haven't weighed it yet.

Top Bottom