Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

New (to me) Fortress Day

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by One Bad Monkey, Jun 26, 2013.

1. One Bad Monkey

One Bad Monkey

Ended up pulling the trigger on a 1st gen Rockbass Fortress that I got for a song (it didn't hurt that the blend knob is broken).

View attachment 16845

I know what you're all thinking, but I bought it with a purpose. All of my other Warwicks are amazing and awesome, but are also all active and have distinctive tones. As a freelance musician, if someone wants a P-Bass sound, I can't give it to them. The Rockbass series is fairly close spec-wise to the other mass-produced instruments out there, and doesn't have the trademark Warwick sounds. Plus, in time I'm planning on taking the pickups and preamp out and wiring this thing old school, all passive with the 1962 Fender stacked vol/tone config. So this will, in essence, become my "traditional" sounding bass.

2. Nachobassman

Nachobassman Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!

Hi, Jon.

I´m sure that little fella could bring a decent "traditional sound", it even have the P pickup in 7ender´s position.
    I just wonder why you didn´t get a P-bass? ;)

3. One Bad Monkey

One Bad Monkey

As a proud endorsing artist and a player of Warwicks since 1997, I knew there had to be a clever way to get the P Bass sound while still rocking a W on the headstock. Granted, this says "Rockbass," but that can be easily remedied. May make this into a Frankenbass with a couple other ideas I have thus far as well.

4. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

The PS starbass 2 was the closest thing to a classic sound I got from Warwick :) try it once!

5. Nachobassman

Nachobassman Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!

We would love to see that Franken-tress finished. ;)

6. One Bad Monkey

One Bad Monkey

It's still on "the list," Florin. :)

Had an JAN III lying around (from my Jack Bruce sig when I swapped it for the JAN I), so that already went on it. I need to spend some quality time and really clean the neck and fretboard, as it's apparent this bass was "put away wet," if you catch my meaning.

Oh, there will be clips. Since I write articles for Seymour Duncan, what I proposed was to get a bunch of their pickups and not only write a quick review of the pickup in question, but also make some video demos that would go over how the P pickup sounds in relation to the J pickup I'm using.

The first ones I'm thinking of trying are the Steve Harris P pickup. As for the J, it's a toss up between their Antiquity II or the Hot Jazz. It really depends on which way I want to go with it, as the Antiquity II would bring a warmth to the P pickup, whereas the Hot Jazz would would add to the aggressive nature of the P.

7. One Bad Monkey

One Bad Monkey

Okay, had a couple days off (between when I left my current job and when I start up the new one) so I gutted the Fortress, pulled the guts out and wired the bass up passive. Aside from the fact that the jazz bass pup I have in it now is low output and anemic (and as such, is completely overwhelmed by the precision bass pup in it), it sounds fairly good. Next thing I want to do, aside from dropping in some real pickups, is to sand and clean the neck so it's nice and smooth.

8. Florin

( Florin sips his coffee....)

9. One Bad Monkey

One Bad Monkey

Hey now... I still have to get a Thumb, a Stuart Zender sig and then I can get a Daphne Blue Star Bass II.

10. Florin

No thumb in your arsenal? Oh noes!!!! SZ is awesome for a bassist with a broken back, it is so light!

11. One Bad Monkey

One Bad Monkey

When I first got the endorsement, it was between a Thumb and a Streamer LX. I thought that the LX would be a more versatile instrument for my needs, so it got first billing. I definitely want a Thumb at some point; have always loved that sound.

12. Augie

Augie The Desert Bass-ape

Seeing as Jon plays a LX-6 i doubt lightness is a priority! those things are like maple boogie boards!

13. One Bad Monkey

One Bad Monkey

It is SOME consideration...! I do have a Gruv Gear Duo Strap on it, after all. But, seeing as 90-95% of my gigs are sitting down, it's not that much of one.

14. Sippi

Sippi

I went the other route - Corvette -> Thumb -> now eyeing a Streamer Jazzman
    PS - the Thumb will not be sold