New Corvette With Strange Set Up Issue

Reaction score
So I’m new to this forum and to Warwick. I just bought a GPS Corvette 6 ash, I bought it off reverb new but the store said they bought it from a warehouse or sorts and it’s a 2017. Anyway I got it yesterday and put some new strings on and get a set up that I like. This neck is flat. 1st fret down and 24th fret, that middle neck is flat. But it’s not buzzy like most of my Basses would be. I have made truss today adjustments but this thing has barely moved. Let it set over night after I moved it a bit more, nothing. I lowered the action a little, still feels high to me but not bad. Also the nut is all the way down, it came like that. Fret the third fret the first has plenty of room. I just surprised the bass is not in worse playing position with the neck like that. Also should I be worried about that truss rod. Hope I explained it all well enough. Thanks

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Roy!

In a six string neck the truss rod has to work harder to counter the stiffness of the neck plus the weight of the six strings pulling on it.
This means that often it requires more turn of the truss rod nut to have the desired effect. I would not worry too much about this.

If you use the Warwick truss rod tool to adjust it this gives you a better feel of how much pressure it gets from the neck and how far you can turn it.
With regular allen wrench this is less obvious since it allows you to apply much more pressure and break stuff.

That said, I actually like my Warwick necks to be almost completely flat. This gives me a good clean tone with really low action and makes the strings bounce back better when I hit them with my thumb.
Because of the perfect fretwork (Warwick use Plek machines to level the frets perfectly) having the neck almost completely straight is not any problem.

Also, no pictures means there's no Corvette 6 ash! Can you show that lovely bass to us? Thanks!

Reaction score
Haha thanks, I will keep turning it a little a waiting a bit to see if it moves.

Attachments

• E73FCE21-C635-430A-A051-9B5B643FAE9A.jpeg
    E73FCE21-C635-430A-A051-9B5B643FAE9A.jpeg
    77.2 KB · Views: 168
Reaction score
Do you know if it has a dual or single action truss rod?

Reaction score
Well it still has tension. When I first went to loosen it, it had a lot of tension. I just chalked it up to never being touched in three years.

Reaction score
I also no realize to got really low action I’m going to need a set of strings with a tapered b. It did come with strings like that but they gave me some new ones because I think the original strings were on it. They were dead.

golem

Philosopher King
Reaction score
Use penetrating lube on the rod adjuster. Reducing friction gives you a more accurate tactile sense of what’s happening with the truss rod as you adjust it.

Also, unstress the neck a bit while adjusting it. I don’t slack the strings. Instead, I put the neck across one thigh, near the 10th to 14th fret. Then I duck the nut under the other leg. Did I mention that I’m sitting down ??? Did I mention the FB faces up ?

Anywho you can now push down on the body to unstress the neck. And maybe with 6 strings you should tune them way down to further unstress that big neck. So, you push down on the body while turning the adjustment tool.

Top Bottom