Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

New Corvette Double Buck Rockbass

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by fuzzychaos, Oct 30, 2011.

1. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos

Just got a new, to me, Rockbass Corvette Double Buck. Seriously great quality for the money. The only issue is that the pickups sound muffled and seriously lack high end. Is this just the way the MEC pickups sound or is there an issue with them or the wiring? I am considering replacing them with Delano's or something similar. Any help or advice is appreciated.

2. jester

jester ocdemon Moderator

Yanni
    Hello Mr. Fuzzy Chaos and welcome to the forum. :)

Your RockBass is wired so that the pickups are always in humbucker mode, series or parallel. You should try using only one pickup at a time or your tone will be too full and harder to make clear using equalization. Another option is to rewire the pickups so that you also have a single coil setting for each pickup, using two 3-way mini switches. I haven't tried this myself as I don't have a $$ and I am not certain that the results will be optimal. For example there could be issues with noise, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it if you are good with modifications or know a good technician. I would try it without drilling holes first to see if everything is ok.

rusty.png

Also here is the wiring diagram for your bass in pdf, for you or the technician: http://www.warwick.de/media/manuals/Rockbass/wirings/SP_RB_122R.pdf

I guess it is possible to use your existing push/pull knobs to switch between single coil mode and one of the humbucker modes (I would suggest parallel). But I can't come up with a diagram for that right now, let me know if you are interested so I can check it out. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2011
  3. Augie

Augie The Desert Bass-ape

I know someone has to say it but........New strings?, new battery?

4. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

Hi fuzzy, and welcome to the forum. The MM style pickups are not the brightest in the world... However, MEC ones are not darker than others. They tend to have deep lows, but they have good high end too.

Good advices from Jester :)

5. Nachobassman

Nachobassman Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!

Thanx for the monday morning laughs. :D

As Augie said, try some new strings, a new battery, even the height of the pickups, if they are too close to the strings the sound would not be the best.

Cheers.

6. Mr Praline

Mr Praline Forum Silly Person

Raise the pickups = more high end/output. Be careful though, as the magnets are really strong they can cause modulation (microphony) if TOO close to the strings.

7. Augie

Actually those MM have massive magnets, i was getting weird, muddy tone out my jazzman and it was due to the magnets being to close and basically killing the movement of the strings.

8. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos

The bass is passive, so no battery to speak of and, yes, I put new DR Hi Beams on with little change in the high end. I will look into jesters recommendation and try lowering the pups to see if that's the issue. Thanks everyone, I really love the bass and I want it to work.

BTW, love the forum too, everyone always offers the best advice.

-fuzzychaos

9. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos

update

I was able to play my bass and another RB Corvette $$ at a local Sam Ash and there is definitely an issue, the other bass sounded full and had very good treble. Going to have to take it in and get it checked out.

10. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

Cool!

And post pics on the forum where you are done :)

11. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos

12. guidobass58

guidobass58

I just bought a Corvette Rockbass Double Buck and too was disappointed by the muffled tone. The best guitar tech I know told me about potentiometer values for the volume pots. I took it to him with the schematic. He took one look at it and said the problem was 25k pots for the volume controls. They should be 500k for humbuckers like a Les Paul. 25k pots were sucking out all the high end. He had two 500k push pull pots and put them in. Suddenly there was the shimmering high end that was missing. The proof? Look at the schematic for the German Double Buck. What do you see? A 500k pot for the volume control. Also, if you leave the bass passive, the cap on the tone control should be changed to a value of .05. I don't know how 500k in the German one became 25k in the passive China one.

13. Nachobassman

Nice black ax, Fuzzy.

14. Augie

Not 100% sure if the pots are wrong on the RB model but the warwick $$ also has an active EQ, which would necessitate the different pots.

15. guidobass58

guidobass58

Yes, they're wrong. The 25k pots produced total mud and my tech knew it. 500k goes with humbuckers. Just like a Les Paul. The pickups necessitate the 500k pots, not the active eq. Before my tech even wired in the EMG preamp the 500k pots did the trick and let the high end through. I almost left it passive at that point but decided to have the EMG preamp put in. My tech had another fix for a brand new Ibanez that I had bought. It had a noisy volume pot. The store had two so I took mine back and tried the other one in the store. I couldn't return it because it was on clearance. My only hope was my tech. He knew in that case that it had the wrong value pot for the active eq system that was in it. This time he had to go from 250 DOWN to 25. He wired it up and voila, the noise was totally gone. Anytime you can look at what a manufacturer has done and know it's not designed right and fix it? This guy is the best in Michigan and probably the country.

16. Augie

Wow, crazy. it wouold be good to know if oyu got a dud that had the wrong pots put in or if that is across the board.

17. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos

The schematics for the Rockbass Corvette $$ does have 25k pots, however, it is common for instruments with passive humbuckers to have 500k pots. I'm not sure why Warwick put 25k pots in the $$, but it's an easy and cheap mod that does make it sound better, more open with no muffle.

18. Nachobassman

19. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos

Thanks Nacho! I just added a 5 String Rockbass Corvette Basic as well, thread and pics will be added shortly.

20. Frito

Frito

I find this thread very interesting. Just bought the 5-string version of this bass. After reading through this post, I watched Roger MacLachlan (Little River Band) trying to put one through its paces on You Tube: [video=youtube;3zRIh1x-Exw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3zRIh1x-Exw[/video] . Looks like he has to slap it to get some semblance of high end out of it. I'm going to look for some 500K pots for sure!