New Bassists I Should Know About

Reaction score
OK folks, I'm going to show my age here. I'm curious to know who some of the newer bassists out there are, people that I should listen to. I grew up on a steady-stream of pop / rock bassists -- Geddy, Sting, Pino, Dan K. Brown (the Fixx), Tony Levin, Chris Squire, Mike Mills, Paul McC, you know the group. Listened to a lot of Thomas Dolby, King Crimson.

Who are the up-and-coming bassists / groups I should know about? Keep in mind, I just found the Strokes ... yesterday. I'm old.

Favorite bass player? Tony Levin or Sting -- the minimalist approach. Do more with less.

Thanks for the help.

MaxOnBass

The Chatbox Troll
Reaction score
Fieldy :lol:

definitely check out Ryan Martinie from Mudvayne, he is pretty awesome..

Reaction score
this dude is totally BEAST, can't stop listening to his grooves and he sounds so well.

[video=youtube;GDOoipKMvxk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDOoipKMvxk&playnext_from=TL&videos=D-9wC7qefJo[/video]

Reaction score
Felipe Andreoli (Angra). If you are a big fan of Dream Theater or Symphony X, you would probably like him and the band in general.

Reaction score
Tamas Barabas,Doug Johns,Trip Wamsley,Jeff Schmidt,Nathan Hughes,Michael Manring,Tal Wilkenfeld,Stu Hamm,Steve Bailey,Victor Wooten,Bryan Beller,Tim Bogert,Richard Bona,Bunny Brunel,Aram Bedrosian,Wojtek Pillichowski,Hadrien Feroud,
Thenthere's some you've probably aready heard of,like,
Jeff Berlin,TM Stevens,Doug Wimbish,Jaco Pastorius,Les Claypool,Billy Sheehan,John Entwhisle,Anthony Jackson,Bob Babbit,Jack Bruce,Stanley Clarke.
i was also AFB(away from bass) for nigh on 20 years,& was absolively,posilutely AMAZED at not just the incredible array of bass gear,but how some of these cats were playing the bass.
What started as a weekend hobby,very quickly turned into a full on obsession with all things bass.I wasnt this into bass when I started,in the 80's.But then you had to have a band to actually play.These days it's possible to have just as much enjoyment playing,without ever having to leave your lounge room.

Reaction score
just some of my current favorites:
- Juan Alderete (the Mars Volta, Big Sir, Vato Negro)
- Joe Lally (Fugazi, solo, Ataxia) - strongly recommend Ataxia. John Frusciante (chili peppers) plays guitars and sings. great, simple bass lines.
- Justin Chancellor (Tool)
- Tim Commerford (Rage Against the Machine)
- Flea - probably my all time favorite. the bass lines on the albums By the Way and Stadium Arcadium are tops.
- Anything by King Tubby. Great Dub music. amazing bass lines.
- Peter Hook (Joy Division) - not "new" but for a punk band he really did amazing things.

i also think hip hop/rap music has great basslines that bassists can learn a lot from. its all about holding down the music and being tight in the pocket. my favorite basslines come from the Wu-tang Clan and the Roots, but most good rap has killer bass lines.

most of these guys aren't too flashy, but i think they are the quintessential bass players.

also, King Crimson is the greatest band ever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nachobassman

Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!
Reaction score
The original bass player from Wolfmother (can´t recall the name right now), very tight sound and groovy playing!!

Reaction score
The original bass player from Wolfmother (can´t recall the name right now), very tight sound and groovy playing!!

Chris Ross ;)

One of the world's most talented & under recognised bass players has to be Brian Bromberg.
The man is,on a word,incredible.He slaps like a mofo,while always maintaining a groove.He doesnt sacrifice the groove for blinding chops.
Check out his classic graphite neck/piezo bridge tone.
[video=youtube;zrRVLZ-imSA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrRVLZ-imSA&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;q7dsjtBP7AI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7dsjtBP7AI&feature=related[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr.Demeter

Warwick Endorser
Reaction score
check out Jon Stockman of Karnivool

[video=youtube;18SUFbABxNQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18SUFbABxNQ[/video]

that's some tasty bassplaying right there :)

Lex

Warwick Endorser
Reaction score
Owen Biddle & Adam Blackstone.

Two of the tastiest players out there.

Top Bottom