Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

New Bass Amp

Discussion in 'Bass Amps & Cabinets' started by grobbo91, Jul 12, 2008.

Tags:
  1. grobbo91

grobbo91

After my Ashdown mysteriously failing on me 3 times, I am finally getting store credit of $400. I am thinking of upgrading to a bigger amp since I have some spare cash in my bank.

I am set on either a Hartke amplifier... or a Warwick amplifier.

I haven't been to this particular music shop in a few weeks, but I last remember them having a pro fet 5.1 and the 410 pro cabinet. They also had a few Warwick combo's, but I don't remember what models they were. I want the amp to be powerful enough for gigging with a metal band (If I ever find a drummer)

My question is that the cabinet is rated at 400watts, and the pro fet head is rated at 500 watts. I understand that it is an 8 ohm cabinet and I won't get the full wattage. Would running this setup be good for the amp and speakers, or should I look at a different cabinet?

Another question is will this purchase be justified? I am only 17 and I have only played bass since January this year. I started off as a guitarist, but I have only played guitar for about a year and a half. I have barely played bass due to only having an amp for about a week before it randomly died on me, and I would play guitar much more due to amplification making playing more exciting. Will this amp be something that will stay with me for life, or will I want to upgrade it in a few years?

2. Eberbachl

Eberbachl

The Pro FET 5.1 (or the newer 5.2) are great heads.

Will it stay with you for life? Only you can answer that. I'm quite content with mine (until WAS strikes again :lol: ), and the build quality is excellent.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the WCA410Pro cab - I prefer the WCA411Pro. ;)

The Pro FET 5.1 will deliver approximately 300 of it's maximum 500w into an 8ohm cab.

That's fine for both the head and cab - later if you want to you can add a second 8 ohm cab to get the maximum 500w power from your head.

....or if you plan to only ever keep one cab, the WCA411Pro is also available in a 4 ohm configuration.

;)

3. grobbo91

grobbo91

Oh, I thought the 411 pro was only 8 ohms, so I was thinking that I would be getting a cheaper cab by getting the 410.

Another question, if I was to get this amp, would it be fit for home use? I would normally have to play my Ashdown Five-fifteen at about 5 to get a decent amount of volume (not too quiet and not too loud). I am guessing that the amp should be fine for home use at about 1 or 2 volume.

4. Eberbachl

Eberbachl

Sure - you can dial back the gain and volume a little and play it fairly quietly at home, but I'd rather use a Blue cab for practice.

I have a Blue Cab 20 (which has now been replaced by the Blue Cab 30), and a Blue Cab 15.

Both are lovely little practice amps - great tone, and very affordable.

Apart from their great tone, compact size, build quality and affordability - I also like them because they're passively cooled (no cooling fan), and are therefore silent.

Cooling fans bug me when I'm playing quietly in my study at night ;)

:D

5. Lewis

Lewis

yeah i have a blue cab 20, real nice amp and great tones.

6. Benjamin

Benjamin

Warwick > Hartke

No question about it. It's definate.