New amp time...

Reaction score
So, my Ashdown just isn't working out for my solo playing. In fact, there's nothing I love more than plugging my bass straight into a good PA system, so every frequency my vampyre has to give reeeeally sings.

I was thinking about just buying an ART Pro Channel... and using it as an UBER DI box... it's not going to preshape my sound, tube preamp, tube compressor, and tube EQ section (lows, parametric low mids and hi mids with switchable Q settings, and highs) so I can shape my sound when I actually need to....

Sounds fantastic in theory, but someone suggested a Tubepath would probably be perfect for me... Sure that's likely to put a little more colour on my sound, but from what I've heard in the past, it's not likely to really put a blanket on my sound like the ABM does?

Anyway, either way I want to go, I want to be able to use what ever I get without a speaker cab if need be, but be able to use use a bass cab when I please. I know that with the ART channel strip, this will mean getting a power amp to go with it...

What do you all think? Any other ideas?

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Definetly try the tubepath!!! Actually yesterday I've received a phonecall from a studio for a job, and the guy told me to bring my tubepath with me :)

Reaction score
Amazing... with the 2nd stage switched off/on stand-by (what ever it actually is), can I use it without it being connected to a cab?

Thanks Florin

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Yup!
Oh, and I forgot to tell you something very important!!! You know all the talk, rumors, blabla about the JH Preamp?

..........It is all true!!!! Man, what a preamp!!!! It's like... wooow!!!!

Reaction score
Hmm, well I know the Tubepath sounds sweet, so I guess that's the safe bet. Shall have to wait a little longer, but should be worth it :)

Reaction score
If the x-treme is anything to go by as one of the warwick monsters then the tubepath should be worth it.

Reaction score
Hello!

I have an Ashdown ABM 500 evo II head, and recently I got myself a Tubepath 10.1

ABM does a very good job in a band context. And it has kind of vintage sound. I noticed it works very good with Fender Basses, with Warwick even better :)

anyway, for soloing I think Tubepath is much more recommended.. I own a streamer LX and in the higher registry it sounds very very clear, transparent with a nice tube warmth. I found ABM to be a little linear in this aspect, while Tubepath brings out even the most delicate dynamics and colours...

In the lower registry, with Tubepath you can hear any note you play.. it is very transparent, punchy and I found the natural tube compression to be amazing. The bass stays in mix no matter what (I did some studio testing).

What ABM has is drive... if you play with a pick, the Valve drive brings some nice flavor. In a band context, I found that if you use the Drive over 2 o'clock the sound gets somehow compressed and lost in the mix. I used to keep the Drive level to max. 11 o'clock.

Tubepath has some crunch, but sounds different from ABM. The EQ section works really great, it is very intuitive, efficient..

So, for what you say you need, i truly recommend the Tubepath..

Cheers,
Adrian

Reaction score
Tubepath. I already have an X-TREME but after doing a lot of practice on a song (we are training our second axeman) that involves a lot of floor tom work in the intro, followed by me, you can't hear the bass without cranking it up. But then as soon as the song gets going the bass would be over powering.

Considering that people are saying the Tubepath always cuts through I would really like to test it out. Being in a heavy metal thrash band it's always hard work to cut through on the bass, and have a good sound.

Check the songs "Suffer Unto Me" and "Take Me" at www.myspace.com/serillian with some decent speakers and you can hear my bass in the mix, but you'll be able to appreciate why I need something to cut through.

Megadeth bass sounds good and cuts through but the guitars aren't as heavy as what I work with.

At the same time I shouldn't think about it because I'm replacing my cabs at the moment and can't afford to do much more than that.

Top Bottom