Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

New amp or new cab???

Discussion in 'Bass Amps & Cabinets' started by [wolfman], Jul 22, 2006.

Tags:
  1. [wolfman]

[wolfman]

HI,

I currently run a Profet 3.2 into a Warwick 115 and a 211 cab. I am looking for more volume. Would i be better of replacing the head with a profet 5 or xtreme 500w, or change the 115 for a 410. I play in quite a heavy metal band. I was thinking the 10" speakers may cut thru better than the 15".

2. Men-O

Men-O

What I would look for is a cab with a higher sensitivity. A 3 db higher sensitivity gives you twice the soundpressure.

Considering the rest equal:

1000 watts in a 97 db (sensitivity) cab gives you the same percieved volume as 100 watts in a 100 db (sensitivity) cab. If you look around you may notice that the sensitivity of cabs may vary from under 90 to over 105 db.

I don't know what the sensitivity is of the Warwick cabs, it's not on the Warwicksite. Maybe the 410 is a good option.

Maybe someone else knows?

(sensitivity = number of db at 1 watt at 1 meter of the speaker)

3. odominguez

odominguez Guest

Sine you already have two good cabinets, I suggest updating to a higher amplifier. Right now your tying to use a 300 Watts amps to power about 500 watts worth of speakers. Getting a 500 watts amp will definitely give you more volume. If you get the X-TREME head it also gives you a really good compressor and some other tools not available in the Profet series.

4. Grgzilla

Grgzilla

Wolfman,apart from the volume how do you find the profet?what are you playing thru it?sorry bout the interrogation but I'm in the market for an amp for my thumb 5 & brainstorming the options.
    thanks mate.

5. [wolfman]

[wolfman]

HI mate, no problem.

I'm running a streamer LX, thru it at the moment. i really like the sound of it (just needs a little more power), I used to have a older Profet IV aswel, think the new one sounds better.

6. mala

mala

Well, actually 200 watts in a 97db cab would produce that (double the 100W and you will get another 3db). A 1000 W would give you the equivalent of 7 extra db. This is rough counting and taken into account that you drive the amp all the way up to the specified harmonic distortion

7. odominguez

odominguez Guest

True. Thanks for pointing this out Mats. There are many specifications in which these tests are made at the factory, and there a little math that goes into figuring out how many dBs you loose at a certain distance. So if anyone wants to get into it, send me an e-mail or a private message and we talk about it more in depth.

8. mala

mala

Thanks Ollie, just a comment - people tend to rate the number of watts as the essential part when speaking of sound and volume. I would say that the internal current and type of condensators used is more important, especially when playing the bass. If you compare a tube amp with 30 W with a transistor amp producing 100 watts you will almost always think that the tube amp produces more volume, also compare a class A amp with a class B or AB with the same wattage. I used to run my stereo with two Krell class A amps, rated 50 W each with a weight of approx 110 lbs or 50 kg each. They would outrate any ordinary 500 W class B amp. I could turn the amps off and still play loud music for another three minutes. The conds were of the sice of a Coke can.

So people - don't just ask for wattage :wink:

9. Stroud

Stroud

i've never heard amps refered to as class A, AB and B amps. whats that all about?