Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

New amp - Not a hellborg but a tecamp

Discussion in 'Bass Amps & Cabinets' started by Callum, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Callum

Callum

I really needed an amp, found one of these on the cheap on basschat, just sent off the cash should hopefully be with me by the end of the week.

Kinda bought it blind but all the reviews and comparisons pretty much described what I was after in a amp, that wasn't a hellborg :)

Pics and reviews once it arrives.

2. Mr Praline

Mr Praline Forum Silly Person

Congrats! What model?

3. Callum

Callum

Tecamp Puma 500 :d

4. warwickhunt

warwickhunt

I've just sold a Tecamp 2x12 combo with this amp in it! :d

5. Callum

Callum

:d well its arrived and i am happy with the tone!

The first thing that really hit me was the weight. Its the first truely portable head i've had, and combining the portability with the tone it gives out, on that alone is money well spent.

Its a lovely warm amp with a huge depth of tone, both low and high. I think the best comparision out of all the amps i've owned and tried extensively (eden WT800, PJB & hellborg pre) would be to the hellborg. Its far warmer than the PJB which is very clear very accurate, and dry solid state sound. And its not voiced like the Eden gear is so gives a clearer sound to my ears.

Its similar to the hellborg in its clean, deep and warm and dare i say cuts through like the hellborg. But the DI isn't as noiseless. And its lacking the overall clarity and polish the hellborg has. If you take the hellbrog and rough up the edges, and poke it with a stick to make it angry then you have the puma.

I've got a rehearsal later so I can fill in how it does there for those who are interested! Oh yeh and crappy phone camera pics will be take later and uploaded!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2009
  6. Eberbachl

Eberbachl

Hi Callum - I'd love to hear more about this amp!

...I'm half considering one!

;)

7. Mr Praline

Mr Praline Forum Silly Person

I love my PUMA 350. Traded my big ass Trace Hybrid head for it, absolutely stunned by the tone. Great clarity yet never sterile. And even if you boost all the EQ to the max it still sounds great.

8. Callum

Callum

Well at the rehersal everything was good. The DI worked and the tone cut through without much effort. Due to the FNA having old strings i had to tweak the EQ abit - but the 4 bands (30, 250, 800, 8k?) meant I could just adjust what I needed to cut through - normally 250 with my guitarist and add a little treble for clarity.

I tend not to use the EQ, now i've had a chance to really sit down with the amp. I do use the taste control though. Its perfect for me, i normally have it at 2 o' clock and it sounds fantastic. It tames the treble on my buzzard and $$ to a sweet smooth higher end, and warms up my tone a treat.

Its really sensitive i've found and a little can go a long way so i tend to only have it on to alter my tone a little but it can go to extremes, full warm and its vintage old skool mo town. Full Dry and you have an aggressive & clanky tone if thats your thing. I tend to shift into the dry when i want more punch and clang to my slapping, or for a snarling pick tone.

The little thing is crazy loud as well, i'm running it at 8ohms (~270 watts) into my 211 and it can shake books of my bookcase. - it should be able to handle any gig i could play (small - small/medium gigs) np - and if need be i can get another 211 or a 4 ohm cab to get more volume than I would ever need.

Overall its fantastic, if there's anything specific you'd like to know i'm happy to answer any questions! - i can use my zoom H2 to do some recordings when i have a spare chance if you want. As we booth have same cabs it'll give you a pretty good idea how it will sound.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2009
  9. Eberbachl

Eberbachl

Thanks for the input guys...you've got me drooling.

:d