Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Needing Help With Tone/blend Knob

Discussion in 'Bass Hardware, Setup & Repair' started by Spencer, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Spencer

Spencer

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and am really new to learning bass so please forgive me if I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I recently bought a used Warwick Vampyre bass off of Guitar Center's website. They said it was in playing condition but as of today I noticed something unusual with my tone/blend knob. I noticed that when it was turned all the CLOCKWISE I couldn't hear anything coming out of my amp even with all the other knobs turned up (bass, volume, and treble) and when I turned it COUNTER-CLOCKWISE I would hear something. I found this rather unusual because I was under the impression that turning it all the way counterclockwise, you would hear solely the neck pickup and if you turned it all the way clockwise that was solely for the bridge pickup. Then, if you put in the middle you get some of both. If this is the case, though, how come when I turned it counter-clockwise I hear nothing? Secondly, how come with the other three knobs when you turn it clockwise you get more of each of those (volume, bass, treble) but the tone knob is working in the opposite direction?

I hope I'm making sense and if someone could help me it would be greatly appreciated. Once again, I'm totally new when it comes to bass so please correct any misinformation I posted here. Thank you!

Hector and Hardy like this.
  2. Hardy

Hardy Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

Hello mate! Please post a pic and make a sign which knobs you are talking about. Depending on the model we can post you the manual of the electronics and what each knob is doing.

DiMarco likes this.
  3. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

Hi Spencer, welcome to the forum!

I have shared some of the older Warwick schematics (which are no longer available through their website) on my Google Drive.
    Not sure if your Vampyre is one of the older ones, but you might be able to find something there.

Link: Warwick Bass Documents – Google Drive

Anything with the same knobs layout might be what you're after.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    Hardy likes this.
  4. Spencer

Spencer

It's the very top knob (the one closest to the fret board). I don't know how draw a circle around it

Attached Files:

5. Stainless

Stainless

former birthplace of Warwick: Franconia, Germany
    Ah this is the old Rockbass version of a Vampyre. Can you make a pic of the open electronic box?
    On a german Vamp this knob would be a balance, but i am not sure how it works with Vamps.

6. Spencer

Spencer

7. Dazed

Dazed Good Vibe Sponsor

CBB67299-C1D4-48FC-8070-3D6CB3033C25.jpg Found this pic of the control layout online. So it looks like the balance pot.
    Could be the pot itself
    Dead pickup
    Wiring issue

Have you replaced the battery just to rule that out as a simple start?
    Check if there are any wired disconnected or badly soldered in the cavity?
    45979DBC-340E-4D9C-A6CC-9912737FF9E8.jpeg

8. Stainless

Stainless

former birthplace of Warwick: Franconia, Germany
    As far as i know and as it looks like both pickups are active.
    So i would assume there is the wires to check.