Need help with my Thumb and it's nut.

Reaction score
One of the parts on my Thumb BO snapped off(Don't ask why I'm to embarrased to admit it.) You know those two pieces standing up and in the middle is the nut(Adjustable nut)? The one on the left snapped off somewhere. I'm concerned. Any help is appreciated. I know I'm a little vague ,but ask questions if needed. :cry: :cry:

I can't believe I was dumb enough to let this happen.

Reaction score
Check the JAN III manual in this Forum. (JAN is Just a Nut)

If you are in the US you can probably get one for free from Dana B Goods.

Reaction score
You probably have the JAN II.
Just contact Dana B. Goods and they'll send you a JANIII for little charge.
It really shouldn't be a big hussle but the JAN III is better than the JAN II.
Don't worry, but get the JANIII :)

Reaction score
There's no real hurry to change to the new nut.My JAN 2 had both tabs broken for quite a while.The strings keep it in place,but if you change strings,be careful not to lose the nut.
Good luck mate.

maddrakkett

R.I.P.
Reaction score
And don't feel embarrassed about breaking your JAN II - it's a common problem for many JAN II owners, due to a poor design. The JAN III fixes this issue and is a smoother nut for when your fingers are down around the first fret. The JAN III also makes the bass look better.

Call Tyler at Dana B. Goods (805) 856-1709 - if he doesn't answer, it's better to keep trying until you get a hold of him than to leave a message. Email doesn't seem to get a response either. When you do get him, he is really cool and will send a JAN III to you for free. :D

Reaction score
Ok guys, I left him a (shy, sort of crappy response) message. The things that hold the nut in place are called, tabs. Right? Anyway, I was changing strings while it happenned(I'm crappy at putting on strings, I'll get some help next time). Anyway, since it's not going to have strings on it for about a day ,or two, Will that due anything bad to the neck? I'll just leave it on and let the strings hold it in place. Thanks for your help so far.

Reaction score
The_Orlonater said:
Ok guys, I left him a (shy, sort of crappy response) message. The things that hold the nut in place are called, tabs. Right? Anyway, I was changing strings while it happenned(I'm crappy at putting on strings, I'll get some help next time). Anyway, since it's not going to have strings on it for about a day ,or two, Will that due anything bad to the neck? I'll just leave it on and let the strings hold it in place. Thanks for your help so far.

The neck will be fine for a day or two without strings,but it's best just to leave the strings on untill you have the new nut.
Yes,they're called tabs.The new nut wont have them.
They normally break when changing strings so you're not to blame.Mine broke & I knew full well how to change strings without twisting the nut.

Reaction score
flipper_gv said:
does every JAN II breaks or is it just some of them?

It's quite common for most to break at some point.It usually happens during string changes.One way to avoid it is to remove 1 string at a time(E then G,A then D),remove them in an even pattern or slowly unwind them all at once.The biggest hassle with having broken tabs is when changing strings coz it drops off & can get lost.Other than that,it still performs fine with broken tabs,but the JAN 3 is superior tonally & design wise,& is usually free.

Reaction score
Wow, I didnt know there were other cases. I still feel stupid, but not as stupid! :) :(

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Many guys don't even notice the tabs are broken. Don't worry, you can continue using this one or you can replace it with the JAN III. The only difference would be that the new nut will be smoother

And Welcome to the forum buddy

:)

Reaction score
Having gone through 2 JAN II's myself on my $$...first i broken when cleaning the board in an energetic way, second just broke on its own...changing them is really easy.

As long as the screws stop the JAN II from moving...its fine and no need to worry about it really.

When/ if the JAN II goes on my $$ i'm getting a JAN III they are just so much better!

Reaction score
Ok, thanks. I put on some new Labella's and now it's cool. A little zingy, but it should wait. Man, changing strings while one of the tabs was broken was annoying. Thanks for your help guys.

C

Casey

I've broke atleast 5 jan 2's before switching over to a jan 1 :) No problems since.

Reaction score
I have switched all my JAN 2s to 3's and love them. have more sustain and they are more solid and also do not cut your fingers like the JAN 2s did.

Reaction score
trujo777 said:
I have switched all my JAN 2s to 3's and love them. have more sustain and they are more solid and also do not cut your fingers like the JAN 2s did.

Haha nice to hear! I thought I'm the only one which is cutting his fingers all the time.
Might also consider changing to the JAN III but I have a Darklord, could i get a normal 4-string JAN III and file it or would I have to order a special one?

Reaction score
Just specify you need the nut for a dark lord. No probs they'll hook you up with a 175" nut ;)

Top Bottom