Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

need help from the PRO - Bartolini Soapbar and OBP-3 preamp installed

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by joekickass, Feb 29, 2012.

1. joekickass

joekickass

After I got my Thumb 6, I always think that it has a small output and need more bass.(in fact, that is caused by a broken MEC soapbar bridge pickpus, I didn't know that until those MEC pickups took out)

I order a set of Bartolini P46CBC pus and OBP-3 preamp wired, the preamp came with vol/vol, mid(push/pull to switch freq.), treble/bass stack, because I like the blend control and dual coil & single coil switch, I order 2 MEC pots, they are..

MEC M89552 Poti Potentiometer stacked 05C 250 kOhm/ 05A 250 kOhm CC. & B500 kOhm & switch ON/ON-DPDT : this one is for volume and blend, push/pull to switch active/passive.

MEC 84110 stacked 100kOhm/100kOhm Poti linear Center Click : this one is for tre/bass, there is also a push/pull function on this pot, I used it to switch dual coil and single coil.

The guitar shop installed those items to my Thumb 6, it sounds like a different world, very deep bass, versatile mid, more output, dual/single coil switch.....I really like them but .......the treble is at less 50% less....it is fine to play at home but when I took it to rehearsal, the treble is just not enough...I am wonder if there is some wrong?

my SSI 5 is also Bartolini PUs(80P25C) and OBP-3 preamp, it sounds great!! a lot of treble and bass.

Could anybody tell me if those pots are right? or it is pretty normal....I tried to write to MEC but they told me they don't know about OBP so can't help.

*after took out the MEC soapbar PUs, we found the output of the bridge pus is not normal which means it is broken, no wonder I got less output and the tone shouldn't be right)

2. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

Well, Bartolini are known for not being too bright. SSI is way brighter than the thumb bass, so yeah... it should have more treble.

And yes, you should write to Bartolini about the pots. PLease let us know their answer.

3. verb

verb Good Vibe Sponsor

Hi,
    I don't know if it will make a difference but the pots for the OBP-3 should be 50K not 100K.MEC do make them,I fitted then into my Fortress one,although I am not sure if they make a stacked pot with a P/P switch.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2012
  4. jester

jester ocdemon Moderator

Yanni
    Verb is right, you need 50K pots. It's most probable you aren't getting flat eq at center detent.

5. joekickass

joekickass

You seem very sure about the ohm of the pot for OBP preamp, I just check the original tre/bass pot which came with the OBP, it is 50K...., the reason I use MEC pot 84110 is because it has a P/P function, I can switch the dual or single coil of those bartolini PUs, MEC does make them, they are used on the dolphin and infinity to switch the bridge pickup.

I also sent a letter to Aguilar to find out if I use the right pot.

I also check my other bass.

SSI 5, it is OBP-3 and Bartolini PUs, the stack is 50K, the tone is great, no problem.
    Thumb 5, Bartolini J/J & preamp, the stack is 50K, the tone is great.
    Dolphin 5, MEC soapbar and Bartolini 2 bend preamp, I use the original MEC pot, 89552 & 84110, the sounds is kind of treble, I will always need to boost the bass.

I don't know the ohm of the tone pot like treble and bass is related to the pickups or preamp, I know the passive pickups should use 250/500K balance pot and 25K for the active pickup but I never thinking about the tone pot...

hi Florin, the official web site of Bartolini doesn't offer email contact....I don't how to write them...

I am thinking it may be fixed if I use MEC 3 band preamp with bartolini or just use the pot came with the OBP preamp, the problem solved(if there is any.)

6. joekickass

joekickass

I took the original T/B stack pot came with OBP (50k) to the guitar shop, after replaced, the treble is back, now the Thumb 6 sounds great, the bartolini PUs provide the different feel to the MECs, they are much dark than MECs.

I also change the MEC T/B stack pot(100k) with the 50k one on my Dolphin which installed Bartplini preamp, the MEC soapbar on this bass sounds a lot treble, I thought it may has the problem like my Thumb too, after changed, the bass sounds the same...I don't why? Maybe the it doesn't change a lot to the active PUs...I am not sure...

Compare with the bartolini pus, my dolphin sounds very treble....

7. sprocket

sprocket

+1 on the 50K pots