Neck Dive

Reaction score
HammerSmashedBass said:
hmmm...can anyone tell me how to fix a corvette bass neck dive?

I have a Corvette and a decent strap. It works great - no neckdive.

:D

Anybody's most welcome to try it.

(That's a Bubinga 'Vette. I find the Ash 'Vettes dive a bit).

;)

golem

Philosopher King
Reaction score
ThirdthumB said:
I'm the last person to be called sheep thank you very much.
A suede/grippy strap does prevent (to a certain extent)
the neck from going down. What is it exactly you agree and
disagree with ??

You wrote: "grippy strap" and "suede strap" bullsh!t !!, but
you also wrote: I'd rather just put up with neck dive than
keep getting strangled by my clothing

This seems contradictory to me, so I must not be
understanding something......

`

OK, I see what you might read as contradictory ....
not cuz what I mean is self-contradictory but cuz
I really didn't write it very well. So I editted that
1st paragraph back a few posts from here. I hope
it's more clearer than never before ever :)

As for the sheep thing ... guess I wrote that part
waaaay very clear, so nothing to fix there, but I
hope you do see that it's a broad generalization,
not a poke at anyone particular, just in case you
think it's about you. But ...... if you're a member
of the flock, I still do mean what I said ..... just
hoping you don't think it's personal.

Reviewing the thread I see where you used both
"grippy" and "suede" in one breath, so I see how
it must look to you. But thaz only the 43 zillionth
time those words have been abused in neck dive
fix-it threads .... I didn't mean to pin it on you !!

`

Reaction score
Nylon slippery strap here and a thumb BO 5 and a lil neckdive. Not that bad, I wear it high enough that I don't even notice it most of the time.

Reaction score
It's clear alright. You don't like the strangling as a part of the solution I guess ? Yeah well, I'm a Thumb man, so I learned to live with it. This is the price one will have to pay to solve neckdive issues with a suede strap. But it's a method that works whether you like the added symptom or not.

I read your sheep comment as if you were saying that using a grippy strap does not work at all..........and people promoting the method are sheep cuz "they've read it somewhere".

Uhhhhh......mehhhhhh ?? Haha. :lol:

(I hope I got this right)

Reaction score
It seems like the Thumb's tendency to gravitate to a horizontal position always causes a flurry of neck-dive statements.

Proper percussive technique, especially when notes in the upper register are being played, is best applied when the bass' neck is more horizontal. For this, the Thumb is incredibly designed to accomodate the need for a more horizontal playing position. I give Warwick an A+ for having the stones to design a bass that takes up a more horizontal gate naturally.

The tone and ergonomics of a Thumb are certainly its two most endearing qualities. To say that the bass 'suffers' from neck dive 'issues' completely misses the point of why this bass exists in the first place.

Florin

OG
Reaction score
I play a thumb NT too, and I simply cannot play it with my Warwick wide nylon strap, because I have the feeling that all the bass's weight is in my left hand.
With a leather strap it feels way more comfortable for me.
I mean WAAAYYYY more....

So it means I am a sheep in the flock? Fine by me :)

Reaction score
Good point made about the strap button moving centrally also contributing to the problem.

Get yourselves vintage thumbs and you'll have no problems (or get a new strap button put in and a brass bridge :lol: )

Reaction score
I have a "grippy" strap and it works for me. I think the issue is not the grippiness of the strap, but the looseness of the shirt. Try wearing a tight-fitting lycra leotard and all your problems will be solved. If you got a "grippy" leotard you could have whatever strap you wanted.

Reaction score
My thumb BO 5 sits more horizontal than my other basses, and yes i guess
thats neck dive but it stays in that position so i just think of it as balanced
differently.

My $$ has some neck dive but those massive pup in it help to stop it.

The issue i get with a thumb is its wieght, the $$ neck dive is noticable but
due to it being pretty light in comparison to a thumb its not really an issue.
Due to the thumbs wieght i have a extra wide strap its pretty thin not really
padded but just the width helps to distrobute and hlep with the wieght and
make it FAR more comfortable to play.

The thing is unless your shaped like a bean pole (no offense to anyone who
is) you'll be able to adapt to a thumb if your won over by its sound it only
took me a day to adjust and i bought mine blind based on the opinions and
help from this forum!

Lex

Warwick Endorser
Reaction score
sjw1971 said:
It seems like the Thumb's tendency to gravitate to a horizontal position always causes a flurry of neck-dive statements.

Proper percussive technique, especially when notes in the upper register are being played, is best applied when the bass' neck is more horizontal. For this, the Thumb is incredibly designed to accomodate the need for a more horizontal playing position. I give Warwick an A+ for having the stones to design a bass that takes up a more horizontal gate naturally.

The tone and ergonomics of a Thumb are certainly its two most endearing qualities. To say that the bass 'suffers' from neck dive 'issues' completely misses the point of why this bass exists in the first place.

Bingo!

Avram

Thread Killer
Reaction score
So I have a Thumb BO 5, and it sits naturally horizontal. That is NOT neck dive, that is sitting horizontal. Go ahead...strap on your favorite bass, situate it on your shoulders and LET GO! Does the headstock hit you in the knee? No? then your base does NOT suffer from neck dive. Pure and simple. If you like your basses headstock to be higher than your own (head) then get a F*nder Pbass or some other monster-body bass (Fortress)...The Thumb sits naturally horizontal, thats it. It has a small upper horn, thats why.

I used to have a Gibson 1973 SN Ripper bass. That sucker had neck dive. I would strap it on, let go, and the damn thing would slide earthward like a lead weight! I can't play a bass with the headstock at my knees, and I refuse to hold up a bass by the neck as I play, so I sold it.

When I let go of my Thumb it rests naturally in a horizontal position and does NOT slide any further earthward. Which to me means it has NO neck dive. Now I prefer to play a bass with the headstock up past my shoulders (keeps my right hand knuckles parallel with the strings, as I was taught is proper by my classical guitar teacher), but I have gotten used to the Thumbs horzontal position and have no complaints. :wink:

Oh yeah...I use a WIDE neoprene Comfort strap and it helps tremendously with weight distribution, but does little for 'correcting' the Thumbs horizontal tendencies.... :roll:

golem

Philosopher King
Reaction score
saxonbass said:
I have a "grippy" strap and it works for me. I think the
issue is not the grippiness of the strap, but the looseness
of the shirt. Try wearing a tight-fitting lycra leotard and
all your problems will be solved. If you got a "grippy"
leotard you could have whatever strap you wanted.

`

What you suggest seems very workable, as described.

But some of us wear a dress shirt [and occasionally a
tie]. And even amongst the less formal players, not all
will go for the lycra leotard.

I do use a grippy, or slightly grippy, strap just to keep
the strap from creeping sideways and off my shoulder,
but that means I really need a well balanced hang at
my preferred neck angle [medium high]. Since I wear
a dress shirt, and have some grip to the strap, it WILL
pull my shirt around if the bass won't hang right all by
itself. So, I never hesitate to relocate the strap pins.

`

Reaction score
Hi!

I have to answer about the strap thing, i dont have a thumb but im gonna buy one soon. I have an ibanez sr1206 6strings NT and she have a BIG neckdive problem and she is also a really heavy bass that can cause some pain in your back. I solve both of this problems when i buyed a Courroie Y Strap (google it).

Im not trying to make some pub but it really worth trying.

Reaction score
If the thumb bass is played relatively high, no neck dive issues, but when lowered still no neck dive issues, it just stays more horizontal. The question - is it comfortable for you to play holding the neck in your hand?
Straps do not help, have tried this, don't see any good. It is the position of the bass on your body that is important. Thumb is a slappers bass, so I guess it should be worn pretty high up.
The NT is more problematic, the BO is o.k. and is comfortable even if hung low.
=g=

Reaction score
K I posted this somewhere else but I assume this would be a better place.

I have been in talks to get a CS NT thumb double neck recently and want to know if the neck dive issues would be worse or not?

Do you guys think it could make things worse with the more weight?

Reaction score
the necks will be 2x more heavey than a single neck and i dont think the body will be 2x more heavy, so i guess it will have more neckdive, but its only my opinion.

Reaction score
If i look at this picture, the body will be more than twice heavy than the original, so i guess it will be fine.

Reaction score
Thing is with a double neck depends where the strap button is, if its in the same place on the top bass as standard warwicks, then gravity and the size of the body will take care of the neck dive i think. But i'm purely speculating here i could be very wrong.

Top Bottom