My Hyperjazz Is Finally Becoming A Reality...

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Hmmz. Hadn't thought of that yet, Henry. Thanks.

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
Bridge lookin' good, I'm surprised it does not support regular string anchoring. Or am I missing something here?

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
It does, but you can hardly see this. You can push the back end of the string into a corner. I gotta think about this some. Maybe I should just go for a string through body design...

Anyway, we have been to the first woodshop today. This is what we scored so far:

From left to right:

Purpleheart. 2cm thick and with a LOVELY grain. This being 2cm thick means I can use it for a top or a neck. My current feeling is having a multi laminated neck with this and the maple.

Dark-ish brown Ipe. When lacquered this will be darker. Might use it for the top or might not use it at all. It is very hard and very heavy, also very cheap =)

In front of the Ipe there's a lovely slab of Boobzinga! This will most probably be a fretboard. It is however also 2cm thick so I could really use this for a number of of things, but I am thinking just fretboard for now.

Next too the bubinga we have a thick piece of red cedar. This will be bookmatched and form the body.

On the far right, a big piece of quarter sawn Maple. This will be in the neck, with some of the purpleheart. Laminate pattern still has to be decided.

As you can see there is no dark wood yet for the top. The pieces of Ziricote they had were all either too small or too thin to split and bookmatch. There was one nice piece of Macassar but that was really big and really pricey (350 euro). The shop does not saw or cut pieces so I had to leave that one in the shop.

Guys, ANY ideas of combining these woodtypes are welcome. I like to have your input on things. The Ipe might not be fit for use in musical instruments, I heard it is too tough to handle and even breaks saws & drills.

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Reaction score
For the neck, I would multilaminate Maple and purpleheart, around an Ipe core. This will be the stiffest assembly you can wish for.
I would use the remaining Purpleheart for an underlayer between the top and red cedar body for the slanting under the arm.
I would also use purpleheart for the fretboard and keep the boob inga for the top.

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
I don't have any specific recommendations but I think the most important wood decisions are about the neck.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Okay. The Ipe looks too plain for a top...
So I just ordered this 8mm thick Walnut though the interweb:

Walnut-Espen-Webshop.jpg

I am currently working in photoshop on a neckthrough design of the hyperjazz. Stay tuned.

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Reaction score
Yup. Are tou still going for the « revealing » slant under the arm ?

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
I am not sure yet. This top is awesome as is.
Let me throw it into the photoshop machine!

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Neckthru looks too busy. Still thinking about a hidden neckthru so you see it only from the back of the bass.

Reaction score
Agree the hidden NT is much cleaner. I would def position those two knot looking bits under the bridge or twin jazz as you have done. That walnut is lovely and dark, the last few pieces I’ve seen used in builds is much lighter. I love it so far!

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
Walnut = good. I'd stay away from the slant with this top.

Reaction score
Just personal on the looks here, love the first one ,looks stunning !
The NT looks too busy indeed, takes away the 'classy look' .

About the switches...
Maybe look into the option to make a pickup selection instead of Series/Parrallel.
Really liking the options I've got on the Corvette LTD 2010!

Attachments

• ltd2010.jpg
    ltd2010.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 162

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
The slant will be Walnut, we decided to bend the top over the slant rather then shaving it off.

The three switches are 2x on/off for the coils and a series/parallel switch so that bit is covered.

The red cedar already has its rough bodyshape. Walnut top arrives tomorrow. Vincent does all the work. Me I just throw ideas at him.

IMG-20190114-WA0006.jpg

Last edited:

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
I prefer it with the body reveal. What do you think between these last two?

Hyperjazz-Walnut-pickups-reveal.jpg

Top Bottom