my custom shop streamer dream

Reaction score
starting with a Streamer Stage 1 5 string nt

Birdseye Poplar top and matching headstock high gloss finish
Tigerstripe Ebony or flamed maple fretboard with no inlays just the custom shop plaque after 24th fret
chrome hardware
EMG P/J pickups
tuned to F# B E A D me thinks, cause my G string never gets touched unless im playin a cover on my corvette, edit though i'd probably just be happy with the low b!

or just what ever to maximize "that warwick growl" and make this bottom end beast shatter the heavens

hmm thats all i can think of. think i'll have to sell my hot rod for one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian

The Undecided Frog
Reaction score
The Stage 1 is a broadneck, you can't get a P/J setup then. Unless you ask for a narrow spacing, which is doable.

Florin

OG
Reaction score
This is a good point IAN.
Also, if you want a bass tuned in F#, I would start from here...
You need 35" scale, I'd suggest wenge neck, and some solid hardwood body...
Also the pickup configuration should be to take the best of the F# string...

So you need a thumb pickup config, or a TJ at the bridge.
I think J pickups are the way to go, but you can live well I guess with two soapbars.
So because you need 35" bass (and you need it...) a NT bass like SSI is out of discussion, because we don't make 35" NT basses.
My personal opinion is that BO is better for this bass anyway, for a tighter attack.
So we can start from Streamer LX 5 strings.
35" scale
Wenge Neck
If you keep it with regular neck - then you can make it TJ - P (TJ bridge, P neck)
If you want broad neck, the only available pickups are MEC soapbars. So I suggest you to chose the soapbars in a "Thumb's position"
The "Streamer LX Position" for the soapbars is tight enough though....

Keep in mind that the MEC soapbars are actually P pickups in disguise :)

What do you think?

Ian

The Undecided Frog
Reaction score
Mec soapbars are actually P pickups? Wow, that's weird. I thought they were actually J's.

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Nah... test them with a screwdriver, and you'll see they are split coils :)

Reaction score
I was under the impression they were split coil but sounded closer to J pickups than P. Or is it actually closer to a P pickup. - sorry i don't mean to derail your thread Angrychair.

golem

Philosopher King
Reaction score

Nah... test them with a screwdriver,
and you'll see they are split coils :)

Having run such tests on MANY brands
of soap bar PUs, I can tell you that the
"hidden P-PU" is a very common thing.

Reaction score
I don't know really :) probably you'll hear where one coil ends and the other one begins or something... I guess there's gonna be some kind of 'deaf' area in the middle of the pickup. Never had pickups of this type, so I'm not sure, but I remember previos discussions about that screwdriver thing.

Reaction score
I was under the impression they were split coil but sounded closer to J pickups than P. Or is it actually closer to a P pickup. - sorry i don't mean to derail your thread Angrychair.

no way man, any time something is learned the better off we are. i learned something too so carry on!

Back on topic in response to florin, F# tuning isn't set in stone, its something i'd like to be able to switch back and forth cause hey its cheaper to change strings than basses. As for the SSI being broadneck, i must of overlooked that as that isn't why i want one. It was for tone and looks. i was going for the P/J pickups on poplar topped flamed maple and neck thru. But yeah i think a LX would be better suited.

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
I think F# is useless. A good low B is more than enough. You can also downtune a semitone or two...

Ian

The Undecided Frog
Reaction score
+1

F# is un-useable in a band setting, plus you'd better have a kickass amp to render the note.

Reaction score
in my band all i need is a standard 4 string anyway, they are too "80's metal" to experiment into an extended range. F# would be for fun \m/ i like to sit by my self and solo scales and always find my self wishing i had a lower range!

Reaction score
The F# is the last string you should look into if you're only going to use it for soloing.It's main purpose is to double with a downtuned guitar(s) & make a solid,punchy basement.You can bearly hear the notes on a .175 F# string,even up near the twelth fret.I think there's a good reason you see the mojority of Dark Lord owners tuning standard or B,E.A,D.

Reaction score
Well, if the guy plays in a band where the guitars are tuned in drop B and he wants to play drop B + the 5th string tuned in F#, it is usable, but it's a pretty extreme tuning.

Top Bottom