Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

moving from Pro Tube IV to TubePath

Discussion in 'Bass Amps & Cabinets' started by factorplayer, Feb 12, 2010.

1. factorplayer

factorplayer

So I bit the bullet and picked up a Tubepath 10.1. Until now I've been using an old Pro Tube IV and it has been my main amp for some time. I really love the 2nd stage tube with the adjustable level (drive) that basically lets me control the tube overdrive.

I've only just got the TubePath and haven't gotten a chance to play with it much but I noticed right off that while there is a 2nd stage switch there is no drive knob, so I am wondering how to go about getting that gnarly tube saturation tone. There is the contour control but the manual is a little unclear on how that works.

Any tips on using the TubePath for getting that slightly overdriven tube tone? Thanks.

2. boebl

boebl

simple, rise the input gain!
    there's a LED - as long as it's green you are not in overdrive, orange indicates overdriving the tubes and therefore saturation ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2010
  3. Pedro

Pedro

I played through a protube at a gig once and it was the most confusing thing i've ever seen lol, way too many controls if you don't really know what you're doing. I'd love to get a tubepath, but they're so flipping expensive.

4. factorplayer

factorplayer

Yeah the Pro Tube took a little bit to figure out but I made sure to read the manual first ;)

I hear you on the cost, and IMHO are definitely overpriced. I was lucky to find this on ebay and pick it up for $700 USD.

Ideally I'd like to get a Pro Tube IX but unfortunately those are rare as hen's teeth in States as it was never distributed there :(

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2010
  5. Pedro

Pedro

lol i just turned up to a gig and the guy in the other band was like 'here, use this' and left me to it. I think protube's are rare everywhere, they've been out of production for quite a long time now.

6. Mr Bassman Sax

Mr Bassman Sax

I saw one in Guitar Amp and Keyboard center in Brighton. Didn't try it out though, I bought a cab instead.

7. rusty

rusty Fatburger bassist

Just hit the second stage button & crank your input gain, then stand back!! I also reccomend new JJ tubes for the amp as they help it heaps.

The contour is fun to play with as well, for different sounds / textures, but i rarley use it live. The second stage is also handy for a quick boost as well for solo's etc. Even at your normal gain settings I find it brings the mids & highs up quite a bit.

Just fiddle & you will work it out in no time. Very easy amp to run!

My $220000000000 cents!

Rusty

8. factorplayer

factorplayer

Thanks for the tip Rusty, that is helpful. Can you go into a little more detail about the JJ tubes? I'd be interested in knowing how they affect the overall sound.

On the older Pro Tube I pretty much always had the 2nd stage engaged since I go for that really tube-heavy sound.

btw great info on this little forum - so glad I stopped by!

9. rusty

rusty Fatburger bassist

With my experience with the JJ's, the sound becomes a little more clearer & definatley more warm. The tubes that come in the tubepath factory are chinese ones, which work well, but there is always better. Its like putting walmart oil in your car compared to Penzoil etc!

You can spend mega bucks on 12ax7's & el84's, but I have found the JJ's well priced and sound great.

Ive used & abused my tubepath for over 3 years now & I still love it!

Cheers'

Rusty

10. moistdesert

moistdesert

I guess I'm a lucky mofo.

I just got a great deal on a new Warwick Pro Tube IX!

I really like the concept of the amp and I've tried Warwick bass amps in the past and I know they deliever the goods.

11. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

Goo job man, please post pics :)

12. moistdesert

moistdesert

Will do, man. Cheers...

Some recordings will probably surface too8:

13. moistdesert

moistdesert

Holy crap!

I've just received the ProTube IX and my first impression is: Whoah. Very attractive head. Why did they degrade the design with the Tubepath? The Tubepath looks cheap with the comic sans font spewed all over the front panel. The ProTube looks classy...and expensive;)

Also, I've previously owened a Tubepath and I think the ProTube does the whole "tube thing" much better. The Tubepath only engages a more nasal and mid-y tone. The Protube actually distorts!!...and grinds! It sounds marvellous. It's a very musical overdrive.
    The second channel has the graphic eq and I'm a sucker for graphic Eqs! To me it's the easiest tool to dial in a tone that hits the sweet spot.

All in all. First impressions are very good. Let's see (hear!) how it holds up with the band.

14. Florin

I have no experience with Pro Tube, but I played with Tubepath after Ampeg, and I found it to be really well made.
    It also distorts, it has that overdrive if you boost the gain.

15. Grgzilla

Grgzilla

I was gonna be smart arse & tell ya to look at the front of your amp,then I realized the age of your post.
    .;)
    :lol:

16. moistdesert

moistdesert

Hey, Flo

I may have sounded a bit harsh. The Tubepath is 100% quality and it was very reliable. It just didn't nail the sound that I was after. That's a personal thing, of course.

To me the Pro Tube is just a tad more aggressive and growls a bit more. That is fine with me, since I'm a genuine rock pig;)

But all the Warwick heads have one thing in common. They have that sweet, buttery tone. Even the amps that are all solid state.
    They sound warmer than SWRs, Gallien-Kruegers and other solid state amps. It's almost like the Warwicks amps also have that "sound of wood".

All in all, Warwick rules!8:

17. Florin

18. ned zeppelin

ned zeppelin

Warwick Quad VI Amplifier
    Item condition: Used
    Ended: 16 Jun, 201021:37:40 BST
    Bid history: 3 bids
    Winning bid: £75.00
    just to give you warwick quad V1 this is how I got mine, and it's brilliant, yes £75,
    thats what happens when you put a ebay product in the wrong section.

19. factorplayer

factorplayer

That is good to hear, glad you got a great deal.

Unfortunately my experience with the TubePath did not work out, it was damaged and failed completely shortly thereafter. No fault of Warwick's, but for me it was an expensive mistake. I'm sticking with the Pro Tube IV for now. I would love to get a IX but they are super rare in the states.

20. ned zeppelin

ned zeppelin

looking up warwick tube 6 they were $1,999 in 2002, a few weeks ago they were selling one (now discontinued) for £875
    so I was really lucky, I suggest you keep trawling ebay you never know your luck!
    I really think it's the best amp I've ever tried not only is it a great bass amp but even my ibanez guitar sounds good?
    and my korg keyboards sound awesome.