Metalheads Thread - All Things Metal

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
19 minutes? That's nothing by metal standards. ;)

How about this 40-minute track?

Not long enough for you? Settle in for a full hour with this one:

If we count Fantomas as a metal band we can go even longer, although it's debatable whether the last 20 minutes should count.

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
19 minutes? That's nothing by metal standards. ;)

If we count Fantomas as a metal band we can go even longer, although it's debatable whether the last 20 minutes should count.

Fair enough but after sampling the three videos I have to say it's the combination of duration, complexity and technical difficulty that makes the Viraemia "tune" jaw dropping.

And now I shall listen to the three vids back to back as a very nice background as I do some other things I have to do. Wish me luck.

PS. Stewpid me, the Viraemia "tune" is an EP. Well, same difference.

Last edited:

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
Fair enough but after sampling the three videos I have to say it's the combination of duration, complexity and technical difficulty that makes the Viraemia "tune" jaw dropping.

And now I shall listen to the three vids back to back as a very nice background as I do some other things I have to do. Wish me luck.

PS. Stewpid me, the Viraemia "tune" is an EP. Well, same difference.

I cheated, I just listened to some Spiral Architect first, which I 've always wanted to do. Came to mind after reading that Viraemia disbanded after just one EP. Spiral Architect did the same and I can't blame them. Who would want to go through the trouble recording another album like this one? Very impressive fretless bass work on this but it's most certainly music not for the faint of heart.

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni

Very interesting. Vocals reminded me of Mikael Akerfeldt so I looked up who's singing in case it was him. Turns out it's Dan Swano. Also turns out that he's played all the rest of the instruments. To my ears it was quite Opeth-like, even more Opeth-like than what Opeth sounded back then, I think (not very familiar with Opeth's work so I listened to some excerpts from Morningrise to compare, it was released the same year). Must have been something like a "trend" in the Swedish metal scene back then and Opeth took it and developed it to the fullest. Very interesting listen indeed although I think there's one or two points where music stops and could be considered track separators. Oh, well...

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory

I don't doubt it, considering the complexity of modern metal. But there are some problems with that study. One is, how are we defining metal? I would bet there is more of a correlation between high intelligence and, say, Between The Buried And Me, than there is between high intelligence and Van Halen or something. Nothing against Van Halen, but they have neither the complexity nor the outsider status to appeal to "nerdy" kids.

The other thing is, they really need some kind of control group. Saying things like "genres traditionally linked to intelligence — classical music and jazz — were the least popular" doesn't really mean much, because those genres are going to have low popularity with the population in general, and kids in particular. What we need is some numbers we can compare. For example: x% of "gifted" children enjoy classical music, vs. y% of "average" children. I think that tells you more than just ranking genres.

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
Reactions: RIP

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
Something really sick I 've recently come across, from Germany. I 'd describe it as doom/black with a heavy (and successful) focus on atmosphere.

And something from his latest work:

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni

Now this I enjoyed much more. I liked it so much that it played on rotation for 2-3 days. Initially I thought I was just listening to better understand what it's about musically cause "hell I ain't gonna like this the way it sounds", but after a couple of spins I discover that I actually do like it, and like it lots. And as a bonus, it actually feels like one big song. I suspect the long guitar solo after the vocal part has a lot to do with this. It divides the work into two parts, first is longer, second is shorter, the familiar rock tune structure. My favorite part musically was "To create a perfect world From this cold imperfect world", also some proggy stuff they pull off, especially late in the track. (upbeat-downbeat tricks, a tasty 7 bar, some keyboard parts vaguely reminiscent of Dream Theater, etc.). There's also a Mike Patton reference-influence in there, I 'll leave its location as an exercise to the listener.

Reading a few lyrics here and there it gives me the idea that the work is actually trying to say something, not being too abstract or even pretentious/fake. I also get the idea that the music serves the narrative which is of prime importance.

"
You are a fantasy
Made by me
I dream this world
When I end, the world will end with me
I am everything
You are me
Sleep my child to never be
"

Check this out as an example of very effective and imposing lyrics. It's obviously some form of encounter between man and god. God is everything, but also his child is part of him. I find they play with words and meanings (reversing-negating them) in a very clever and creative manner, and I give them serious points for this. Perhaps I' ll sit and meditate on the back story next time I take this for a spin. Which could be sooner rather than later, hmmm...

Reaction score
Real Name
Steve Gregory
I just ran across this on YouTube. It unintentionally convinced me that The Beatles' "Helter Skelter" was the world's first true metal song.

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
I just ran across this on YouTube. It unintentionally convinced me that The Beatles' "Helter Skelter" was the world's first true metal song.

Really cool vid although Ian Gillian ruined it a bit for me. :)

Top Bottom