Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Mec Pickup Replacement

Discussion in 'Bass Pedals, Effects & Preamps' started by David N Owenby, Aug 12, 2019.

1. David N Owenby

David N Owenby

I never thought I'd say this, but after putting a 2 band Glock into this bass, I'm questioning putting a set of Delano JC5 HE/M2's in my Thumb. I've always liked the MEC tone/ punch/ sound profile, but after putting this preamp in the bass I'm starting to debate putting a new set in.

From what's been recommended, these seem to be the best ones (blade style, similarly built) to the MEC's, just much more complete in the mids and the top end.

I've bounced around and these are definitely the pickups I'm eyeing up-can anyone offer any advice on this? It's a huge step for any thumb owner, and the last thing I want to do is lose that signature sound. Thanks a ton for any help.

2. EPBBass

EPBBass

I recently bought a Thumb BO 4 with Glockenklang PreAmp and Delano PU, don't know which model exactly... they have huge Polepieces.

The Bass lost some of it's growl but gained a much more versitailed Sound. It also goes with much more at the low end.

Actually i kinda want to change the electronics and PU back to MEC, but i don't feel the need to pay so much money for MECs as i kinda like the tone.

jester and David N Owenby like this.
  3. Narcdor

Narcdor

Try it out, if you don’t like it put the old pickups back in. Do some simple recording of the current pickups first with that preamp so you can record the new ones and flip back and forth to let your ears not your mind tell you which you prefer.

Delano make some amazing pickups so I’m sure it will be a good sound, just depends if it’s one you like better.

jester likes this.
  4. StreamerII84

StreamerII84 Warwick Endorser

Alex
    After going through many different pickups in different Warwick basses, I've come to the conclusion that nothing sounds "better" than MEC pickups. Ive had better preamps, but the post 2016 preamp is the best theyve made (i hate the USB charge and only use the 9V though).

The MECS are loud, bright, and growly, and can be dialed down. EMGs are more louder but more "synthetic" sounding, any other pickup tends to be darker or not high output enough for my taste.

RIP, Hoggles and jester like this.
  5. Hoggles

Hoggles Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

Listen to Alex. The man goes through a lot of Warwicks. Knows what he's talking about :)

StreamerII84 likes this.
  6. StreamerII84

StreamerII84 Warwick Endorser

Alex
    *"EMGs are louder"

7. David N Owenby

David N Owenby

After many hours of research, debate, and mulling, I have decided to keep the MEC's rather than perform a tonal heart transplant on the bass They take a lot of flack, but I do think they give the bass a great deal of character. Aside from the preamp (glock kills the MEC and Aggie imo) I am doing just one small upgrade.

After all the comments, etc. I decided to upgrade to the brass JAN 3 to open the tone up just a bit more.

I purchased one for my $$ and machined one out of naval brass at work for my Thumb. It turned out pretty good too.

Attached Files:

Hoggles likes this.
  8. Hoggles

Wow! Fantastic job. You're the first person I've seen make their own brass JAN. Great work!

David N Owenby likes this.
  9. David N Owenby

David N Owenby

Hoggles likes this.
  10. Hoggles

Very cool. When can we start placing orders?? :D

11. David N Owenby

David N Owenby

I am interested to hear how much of a difference in tone the brass makes. It's more dense than regular brass. It was definitely a challenging build. Here's the final cut.

Thanks for all the feedback, definitely keeping the MEC's.

Attached Files:

12. Hoggles

Really great job. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference from an original.

I've switched to brass nuts on all mine (except for the Nobby ofc, and Streamette...soon). The brass nut makes a noticeable difference imo. Plus it looks great. I did just put in a brass bridge/tailpiece on the Streamette and....wow, that made a HUGE difference in sustain and tone. So....next up for you...the bridge. Should be easy peasy :rolleyes::D

13. David N Owenby

David N Owenby

14. David N Owenby

David N Owenby

Funny thing- I've been tossing the idea around. It would be easier than the JAN was.

Hoggles likes this.