Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

MEC leaking dc into signal when in active mode, is this normal?

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by bubingavette, Jul 8, 2015.

1. bubingavette

bubingavette

When in active mode my MEC system is leaking 0.6Vdc into the signal (measured from tip to sleeve of the guitar lead), is this amount of dc leakage normal ?

This is in a '97 corvette std bubinga body, bolt on wedge neck, MEC active J pu bridge, MEC active J pu neck.

This dc leakage only happens in active mode, and causes a very intrusive popping sound when switching true bypass pedals, e.g. tuner etc.

I'm keen to know if this is just an inherent problem with active pickups, or whether there should be no dc leakage (i.e. 0Vdc leakage) ?

Cheers
    Scott

2. jester

jester ocdemon

Yanni
    I really wish I had my 2-band MEC preamp installed right now, I would check with a multimeter on the cable for you to verify. Perhaps some other forumer can help you with this. My best guess right now is that this is not normal, your preamp must be damaged.

Welcome to the forum btw!

3. bubingavette

bubingavette

capacitor ?

Thanks for the welcome Jester, I wish u had your 2-band MEC pre installed too :)

There is a 100uF capacitor on my pcb (and battery wiring terminates on this pcb too), do you think that the cap is a likely culprit ?

4. jester

jester ocdemon

Yanni
    If it is damaged, it could be anything really...

5. bubingavette

bubingavette

Help with active MEC pickups

If there is someone who has active MEC pickups and a multimeter, can I please ask a favour ?

Can you please plug a guitar lead into the output jack of your active bass, and measure dc Volts between tip and sleeve of the other end of the guitar lead (when in active mode) and advise what voltage you get ?

I'd like to know if it is normal for MEC electronics to have 0.6Vdc between tip and sleeve when in active mode.

Thanks
    Scott

6. bubingavette

bubingavette

No need for anyone to bother doing this test for me anymore, I have changed the pre-amp to an aguila OBP-3, which has no dc leakage into the signal, and as a result, no loud popping when switching true bypass pedals. :D

7. The ShadowKnight

The ShadowKnight

My multimeter is currently packed away but I never noticed any popping like that when in a shop trying pedals, so might be a likely issue on the Pre.