Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Marko Hietala Leaves Nightwish

Discussion in 'News & Events' started by Stainless, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Stainless

Stainless Guard of the Fortress

former birthplace of Warwick: Franconia, Germany
    Direct copy from the Nightwish page:

"Resignation announcement from Marko:
    Dear people. I am leaving Nightwish and my public life.
    For a quite a few years now I haven’t been able to feel validated by this life. We have streaming company big guns demanding 9/5 work from artists of inspiration while unfairly sharing the profits. Even among the artists. We’re the banana republic of the music industry. Biggest tour promoters squeeze percentages even from our own merchandise while paying dividends to Middle East. Apparently some theocrasies can take the money from the music that would get you beheaded or jailed there without appearing as hypocrites. Just a couple of examples here.
    This past year forced me to stay home and think. And I found myself very disillusioned about these and a lot of things. I found out that I am in need of that validation. For me to write, sing and play, I need to find some new reasons and inspirations. ”My Walden” so to speak. And it’s even in my book that I’m a chronic depressive. It’s dangerous for me and the people around me, if I continue. Some of the thoughts a while back were dark. Don’t worry, I’m fine. I have my two sons, a wife, the rest of the family, friends, a dog and lots of love.
    And I don’t think that I’ll be gone for good.
    Conspiracy is the word of the day. For the people who like them I need to say that my 55th birthday is now on 14th of Jan and I’ve certainly done my time for now. Blaming for instance Tuomas is an insult to both him and my free thinking. This is a very sad thing to all of us too. Have a care please.
    But of course now we’ll know, if some go there on purpose.
    There are a couple of things agreed on that I will do on 2021. Otherwise I kindly and with respect ask the media, bands, artists projects etc. to not ask me for anything within the next year. I have some reinventing to do. I hope to tell you about it on 2022. It’s not a promise though.
    I am so sorry about this.
    Marko Hietala
    P.S. Tony Iommi is an exception to the “no contact whatsoever”. Childhood hero takes a precedence.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Marko`s resignation has left us with some difficult decisions and choices to be made. After much thought and consideration, we have, in mutual understanding, decided to perform the upcoming 'Human. :II: Nature. -world tour' as planned, but with a session bass player.
    The live line-up will be announced at a later date.
    We respect Marko`s decision and wish him all the very best. We will not comment any further."
    Nightwish
    (Photo credits: Sami Grunge)"
    [​IMG]

Hardy likes this.
  2. Stainless

For me Marko was a main reason to start with the wish to play bass guitar.
    I will never forget the moment I first heard the first nightwish song.
    It was in school, we were hearing music together, it was a thursday, don't ask me the exact date :D
    The mobile boxes we had at that time, have been absolute crap, but i really enjoyed this song.
    There was a time, where i wanted to be as known as him and started playing the Vampyre SN.
    While time passes, i started realizing that i should stop fanboying other persons and do my own stuff.
    But he is a true inspiration for me.

He made a clear point with his statement. As he will also stop living in public, i probably assume he won't be a Warwick endorser anymore?
    He played the Infinity and Vampyre models most times, but there are a few live shows where he played a buzzard and an Infinity Pantera double neck. As a solo artist he played a Starbass-Mayfield double neck.

Hardy likes this.
  3. Hardy

Hardy Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

Seems he takes a timeout. Others will do so too. Once you leave the hamster wheel you find the time to think about it all. But I don’t say that this leaving of the path of life is the best decision. You risk to get lost. Let’s hope we will see him on track again in 2022.

DiMarco likes this.
  4. Stainless

I really hope so.
    I would say the risk of getting lost due to psychic depression is quite more dangerous, than less popularity.

5. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

A wise decision if the all work no play situation made him question his existence as a musician.
    Hope he will come to terms with himself in this and be happier with whatever he chooses to get into next.

Hardy and Stainless like this.
  6. Falerian

Falerian

I am very sad that he left the music scene. I understand his reasons, but ultimately he was my inspiration and music idol and imagination there won’t be any new material to listen to from him depresses me.
    I discovered Tarot when I was 13 years old and his Warwick-Sansamp sound inspires me to play bass until now (31 now :-D).

I am currently saving some money to get Warwick Infinity (have a rockbass version of vampyre, but I was always sure that sound-wise I prefer Infinity).

I still hope he will release some solo albums at least.

Hardy likes this.
  7. Stainless

He was one of the first with Sansamp-Warwick. Nowadays everybody in the metal scene does it.

Well I had the Vampyre SN. But i can totally understand he putted the pin up on the horn, as seen on the pic. The original position annoyed me.

Try it out. I never played the Infinity personally so i can't really tell. Go to Thomann and test it ;)

8. Falerian

Falerian

I thought about it, I gained weight in the last year as I have to work from home and didn't really exercise, and that pin can actually hurt me now when I practice without a strap :D
    I would go to Thomman but we have national lock down here in UK, so definitely can't, and probably won't be able to for a couple of months. At least it gives me time to save enough :(

9. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

Now that I come to think of it, I have never heard a single Nightwish song. Are they any good?

Toepfer likes this.
  10. eyvindwa

eyvindwa

Well, since you ask: no; they're terrible, in my opinion.

DiMarco likes this.
  11. Falerian

Falerian

I personally prefer Tarot, where he performed before Nightwish and was with the band until their drummer died.

I also like this cover:

From Nightwish I like:

Stainless and DiMarco like this.
  12. Stainless

Well I heard Nightwish first and then Tarot. But as a simger he has more space in Tarot.

old stuff from Nightwish

Disliked the second singer from Nightwish, so recommend the next one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFskwQjQQ_E

Falerian likes this.
  13. Nightmaresandconclusions

Nightmaresandconclusions

Never heard of this band. Maybe a northern hemisphere thing.

Had a listen and not my cup of tea.