Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Maintaining your bass(es)

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by Men-O, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Men-O

Men-O

I wonder how much time you all spent on maintaing your bass(es). Like waxing, wiping it off, adjusting the bridge/elements, repairs and intonating, stuff like that. Not changing batteries or strings.

A bit ashamed I am, I did no such things the last 13 years I played the same bass intensively. Luckely it's still in excellent condition on all areas. I promise to treat the Warwick, I bought a few months ago, better 8)

2. Gonzo0100

Gonzo0100

I usually change my strings every month and a half, and boil them once in the middle of that period. So lets say every 3 weeks I pull off the strings and wax the body. I usually do 2 runs with the warwick wax over the whole body, neck and headstock. I the clean the fret board and condition it lightly. Then after the wax dries and is buffed I then clean all the wax I got on the hardware off. I put light armor all on a rag and wipe off the pickups, the plastics. Then I use chrome polish/cleaner on the hardware. I pull the strings from the water, wipe them and dry them, let em hang a while to get all the moisture out and then I use rubbing alchohol on them. then I put the strings back on, check the neck for stress and adjust if it needs. check intonation and then, well thats it. I put the kind of strings everytime 105. Not much else to do. I then wipe down my bass amp and vacuum the carpet on the cabs. I do the same to my P bass if I am playing it, but, its been in its case for a while now =D. Then I finish the 6 pack I started when I took off the strings and play a while.

I think I am OCD, but if I cant play it that well I might as well look good. HAHA!

3. 2tone

2tone

:shock:

I try to wipe mine off every time I play, wax it every couple of months, and change the strings when their output becomes uneven (maybe every year). I keep an eye on the neck and adjust it if necessary (once a year maybe) and hardly ever have to mess with the intonation. I play about 6 hours a week.

4. mala

mala

I wax them every second week and oil the fretboard when changing strings.. Usually I don't have to fix intonation, only if I change gauge or brand, then there might be a minor set up. Wipe it off after every playing session but I don't think I spend more than half an hour on every bass per month. I usually take all of the basses that needs to be waxed in one go in front of the TV, it's just relaxing. Cheers / mats

5. badboyjohnzy

badboyjohnzy

i wax my beast every month, but i never wipe it down. even when sweat is drippin off it, i just let it take it in. sounds mad, but it feels like the bass is really mine, and it has made the neck really really really nice to play. perfectly played in, no sticky or greasy patches!!! i found the open grain on the neck a bit off putting when i first bought the bass, but i have become acustom to it now, plus most of the big grains have filled up with wax and sweat.
    I change the strings when they need it. use to have to do it every month when i was using elites!!!! :( now i'm rather poor due to allot of live work. thinking about getting some elixirs this weekend, but not certain if i can afford it. :? maybe have to be rotosounds! :roll:
    when changing the strings i always double wax the body, lemon oil the fretboard twice and clean everything. have about 4 cloths in my flightcase to use on my baby!!!
    does seem a bit mad, but remember this is my main bass, and tend to use it about 18 hours a week.
    In the year that i've had my warwick, i've already gone through 2 tins of wax!!! is this normal???

6. bassmonster

bassmonster

I know what u mean, it is realxing

7. Mr Rabble

Mr Rabble

I wax my 1989 Thumb about once a month, in all its parts: body, neck and fingerboard.
    Usually I don't deal with bridge/neck adjustments, because this high quality hardware and neck are well stable.
    Once a year I remove the trussrod cover and check if the rod is still moving, then I forget about it for another year.