Let's See Those Fretless Basses

Reaction score
Real Name
Cliff Hairston
Its a Korean Corvette Pro series from 2012 which I got new old stock from the local music shop. I then took it to a local luthier here and get the fretboard replaced with a New Zealand Native timber called "Black Maire" .

Can I ask which luthier?

Reaction score
Here I'm playing another fretless Warwick, this time a Korean Pro Series Thumb 5.

18901947_10158751799690032_297081691_o.jpg

I've been playing bass for quite a few years, but lately, this fretless thing has really gotten to me. I still struggle with intonation at times, but still, I think I might be a full-on convert to fretless only one of these days - it is just so much fun! :D

Reaction score
He is really well know in Auckland and most of his work is from referrals so I don't think he cares about a website.

Too busy doing great work on guitars.

Good that he's taking care of his core business then, but this stuff counts. Maybe I could offer to modernise his website for some of this great work? It's mostly me, I really, really hate flash. :p

Reaction score
BFCE32C9-E3D8-49AF-BBAE-603A3A666D96.jpeg
861D1C38-A683-41E6-B3D2-F1D84D16C336.jpeg
Finally have some pics o my ‘Vettes, the first two Fretless basses I owned- the 4 string, a 2006 model I got on sale at GC, was the first, then I realized that most of the songs I liked required a low-B. Since good five string Fretless basses were uncommon in the U.S. at the time, I special ordered the fiver from Bass Northwest. Fun fact is after making arrangements with owner Evan Sheeley, I later placed the order over the phone with Steve Fossen . I didn’t know who it was at the time and I remember asking, “Do you think you can handle it?” before giving my credit card info to prepay the full price. He said “I think I can” and the rest is history.

Came to find out in a subsequent call to Evan about changing the hardware specs to black (he talked me out of it) that Steve Fossen, Heart’s original bassist, had taken my order. Out if curiosity I went to their website and sure enough there he was pictured as one of their staff.

It took about three months, but I got the bass in the summer of 2009.

Reaction score
Real Name
Cliff Hairston
I'd be keen for a Bass Day let me know if you are interested.
Most definitely! Will have to wait until after the first week of May though as it's about to get very busy for me from now until then. Will PM you and we can set this up. :)

Reaction score
Most definitely! Will have to wait until after the first week of May though as it's about to get very busy for me from now until then. Will PM you and we can set this up. :)

Let me know Cliff!

Reaction score
If you have a fretless Fender that is lined will the neck dots line up
I realise the fingerboard dots/markers are in between the fret line

Cheers team

golem

Philosopher King
Reaction score
If you have a fretless Fender that is lined will the
neck dots line up I realise the fingerboard dots/
markers are in between the fret line

Cheers team

I don't recall any FB dots on lined Fender FLs.

The edge dots on every lined version I've seen
are between the lines, not at the lines. I paint
over the original dots and then paint new ones
exactly at the lines :)

I don't have any lined Fenders on hand, so it's
merely what I recall. But I do have some lined
EBMMs on hand, and those I had to repaint. I
expect Fender, GnL, and EBMM would all be
alike, based on their genetics.

Top Bottom