Keyboards

Reaction score
Any of you use them to help arrange and write? Thought about getting a mid-range 88 key synth/keyboard for composition and textural input on recordings.

Reaction score
I do have one, but it gets most of it's use from my son and my wife. That being said, I often refer to a mental image of a keyboard when working on stuff....

Lex

Warwick Endorser
Reaction score
Ahh... my new favorite obsession!

I've recently started acquiring a number of synths... including:

Moog Little Phatty (monophonic)
Moog Voyager (monophonic)
Novation Bass Station (monophonic)
Roland JUNO 106 (polyphonic)

The Moogs are PERFECT for bass. I use them in the studio and live.

I have a couple of M-Audio MIDI keyboards hooked up to Reason, good for songwriting. Recording wise, I prefer to go to hardware... real Rhodes, analog synths etc.

Keyboards are fun... but beware, it can be a costly obsession!

Lex

Lex

Warwick Endorser
Reaction score
My beloved Voyager:

Reaction score
My other half plays keyboards so we have 2 in the studio and 1 in the house. I do potter around on them but totally don't 'get' them at all. See with guitars you can learn a bunch of shapes and off you go...a B maj shape is the same as a C maj shape.

Keyboards on the other hand...bah...they're all over the shop! I explained my confusion to the wife and after a long dialogue she finally understood why I don't "get" keyboards!

Keyboards are great for song writing...so much easier to do chords over different bass notes than trying on guitar. Having said that, it's easier to come up with weirder chords on guitar that are virtually unplayable on keyboards.

Ideally, it'd be great to play both well...maybe in another lifetime!

G

Reaction score
I was thinking about the Yamaha MM8 (999.00 USD) for starters-- I want the 88 keys and sounds other than basic piano, but don't want to get too extravagant at this stage. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Honestly dude...I'd hit Ebay - there are some real bargains on there re keyboards and they do tend to last. Most, if not all will have half decent piano sounds.

For that sort of dough, you may be better off getting a midi controller keyboard and investing in a soundcard and a couple of soft synths. There are some incredible piano soft synths which will absolutely piss over most sub $3000 keyboards.

Also...don't limit yourself to an 88...76 are just as playable and most allow you to shift octaves down or up if you need to. They're also cheaper and smaller!

The MM8 looks like a good choice though...the arpeggiator stuff is really handy and great for building songs around.

G

Reaction score
For that sort of dough, you may be better off getting a midi controller keyboard and investing in a soundcard and a couple of soft synths. There are some incredible piano soft synths which will absolutely piss over most sub $3000 keyboards.

+1 on the soft synths! and sound fonts! though i don't even use a midi controller...I just score my "keyboard" parts right in my DAW.

Of course if playing live is what you're interested in, they you gotta have a some real keys.

Reaction score
On my boat, space is at a premium-- now I'm thinking Roland Juno D 61 or Korg X50. Anybody have any experience with them? Aren't most contemporary keyboards capable of acting as Midi controllers as well?

Reaction score
On my boat, space is at a premium-- now I'm thinking Roland Juno D 61 or Korg X50. Anybody have any experience with them? Aren't most contemporary keyboards capable of acting as Midi controllers as well?

sure are mate! if your looking for a purely midi keyboard/pad kontrol(for drms) try the korg kontrol 49. Compact too...akai make a similar product which has been getting good reviews too.

Nachobassman

Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!
Reaction score
Hola amigos,

I want to refloat this thread because, like some of you, I've been bitten by the keyboard bug too, actually I was bitten some time ago, but now I have the money and the drive to get into it, and I want to know the opinions/advices from the experienced forumers.

I want a keyboard to start, to learn, piano size keys (mostly because I have big hands), easy to carry AND with decent sounds (to use it on stage, some day).

My main goal and inspiration right now is to learn Led Zeppelin songs. Yep, I like JPJ.

I don't want to spend more than 200€, and saw this second hand Yamaha NP-11, which have piano, electric piano, organ, strings and harpsichord sounds (I'm missing a "flute" sound to mimic the Stairways to heaven intro).
Other options I've seen are the Yamaha PRS E363 or Casio CT X700.

So, what do you think?

Cheers.

Reaction score
Check out my threads- “Minimoog Model D” and “Forgot About Those Other Synths”- you might glean useful info from the replies-

Top Bottom