Katana Basses

Reaction score
I understand that the Katana line of NT's and Bolt On's have been discontinued.
I've seem them on Ebay.
Does anyone have any opinions on these basses and to there sound.
Thanks
CIJ

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni

The Katana NT is still in the product pages on the main site.

golem

Philosopher King
Reaction score

It's a maple J-J, so don't forget your welder's goggles.

JanVanHove

Artist
Reaction score
golem said:

It's a maple J-J, so don't forget your welder's goggles.

Yes indeed, but that neck J is closer to the neck than your average J-J, so it's gonna be nicely rounded... So bright, yes, but round and smooth as well... :)

Reaction score
The Katana is an amazing bass. If the body style is your thing, then I'm sure the sound will not dissapoint. Great combination of stuff right there. I'd love to have a SS2 with that combination or a non broad neck custom SS1. Front pick up was a little close for my awkward slap style but tone-wise I will always say good things about this particular bass. BTW, the one I had for a while was NT.

Reaction score
I'm learning to appreciate the Katana shape...............But man................it costs a lot of time to apreciate it. :lol:

Reaction score
I was actually drooling over one on
BassCentral's website today.

She's a beaut!

(And I'm as much of a sucker for a
blond bass as I am for a red-headed
woman. :D)

golem

Philosopher King
Reaction score
ThirdthumB said:
I'm learning to appreciate the Katana shape...............
But man................it costs a lot of time to
apreciate it. :lol:

• Try some shock therapy. Go down to the
    local GC and 'admire' some MM Boingos.

But, whatever you do, do not play them.
    Repeat: DO NOT !! Jeeeezzziz.

gjj

Reaction score
I was very lucky. Picked up 2, yes 2, BO's one Violet, one natural on eBay from the Bass Place for 995 each. Then LAG had one that Golem discovered (thanks eternally Golem!) - a beautiful NT witha nicely figured ebony board for an unbelievable 1295 inc shipping.
So now i am broke but these basses help me forget that fact.

Any questions you have i will try to answer.

Look here..............

gjj

Reaction score
I understand that the Katana line of NT's and Bolt On's have been discontinued.
I've seem them on Ebay.
Does anyone have any opinions on these basses and to there sound.
Thanks
CIJ
P.S. How's Coney Island?. I grew up there.

Reaction score
I was actually drooling over one on
BassCentral's website today.

She's a beaut!

(And I'm as much of a sucker for a
blond bass as I am for a red-headed
woman. :D)

Blond bass is okay, red-head, unless it's a Ferrari (testa rosa) I wouldn't go near it. Say they're hot to go, not so much. Hot tempered, oh yeah. This is from experience BTW. Wanna lose your nads, date a redhead.

Reaction score
Blond bass is okay, red-head, unless it's a Ferrari (testa rosa) I wouldn't go near it. Say they're hot to go, not so much. Hot tempered, oh yeah. This is from experience BTW. Wanna lose your nads, date a redhead.

Did more than just "date" one. ;)

Reaction score
Katana's are not really my thing but they do appear on ebay every so often for very very cheap (the BO's especially) so if you do like them, you'll grab yourself a bargain

Reaction score
yeah I've seen new Katana BO's for around $800 on ebay.
are they really stopping production on these???

Reaction score
As for an all maple J-J bass being horrifically bright, my Ric is an all maple J-J and if you can't get room shaking lows out of one of those you just don't know how to EQ. We played a gig with another band, I used my Ric with a pic, their bass player used a Fender Perversion, uh sorry Precision, with his fingers and my friend in the audience said while you hear the P bass you could feel the lows off the Ric way more.

Reaction score
I used to own a NT fiver and it was WONDERFUL. I bought it almost entirely because of the sound. It felt great too, but the sound was to DIE for. Didn't hurt that it had been hanging around GC for two years so they dropped the price to $1450. It was in surprisingly fantastic condition too, especially for being at GC. I think I found like, two tiny tiny marks on the whole thing. I think the body is ugly as sin though. I think the only thing that made it acceptable in that department was the woods used and the combination they were used in. I never had any brightness problems with it either, and there was always low end to spare, I usually had the bass set just up from the flat center indent on the knob. I wouldn't have sold it if I hadn't broken my ankle and lost my job while my ankle was broken. Though I'm lucky I didn't leave town (I had gone to the other side of the state to visit my brother) before I checked my warranty card because the guy at GC was S-M-R-T and just went in back, saw a Warwick bag and grabbed it. The warranty card they gave me was for a black Corvette $$. I'm also lucky they hadn't done that before to someone else with my warranty card.

Reaction score

• Try some shock therapy. Go down to the
    local GC and 'admire' some MM Boingos.

But, whatever you do, do not play them.
    Repeat: DO NOT !! Jeeeezzziz.

Too late dude-o,

I've already played the Boingo, and I must say it's a brilliant bass. Funny thing how sometimes I tend to think I like and know how a bass sounds, simply by looking at pictures and reading reviews only............Here's a list of basses that turned out to be a lot different than I'd expected:

Rockbass Streamer Standard: turned out to be really great
Warwick Thumb 5 NT 2001: turned out to be horrible (I'm still puzzled about it)
Warwick Bleached Blonde: turned out to be great
Fenders: disappointed because they sounded generic, and nothing like a Fender (hmmmm)

Ah well, I learn.8:

Top Bottom