Just goes to show...

Avram

Thread Killer
Reaction score
You don't need a $5000 bass to sound good.

In the mean time, HomeDepot! :lol:

This is some funny sh*t

Still, it won't stop me from ordering a custom Thumb one day.

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
To me it just proves scrap wood is as good as a Jazz bass body. :evil:

:)

Avram

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Just too funny to pass up...

Florin

OG
Reaction score
I replied there:
To the O.P.

You are a professional, you REALLY think that tonewood matters so little? Then I am impressed.

The neck's tonewood matters a lot too, so we are using the same neck, right? Or the same type of neck.
So you have the same neck, same pickups, same pickups positioning, but helped with a high mass bridge, for a tighter sound.

As a (former) professional bass player, I can tell you that those subtle differences you hear here (I've listened only the raw ones) are huge in a band context, on stage.
So a bass with the same wood, same pickups, but different body, will probably sound the same to an untrained ear, but the biggest difference is that it will sit different in the mix. And there the money are :) The crappy tonewood will not be heard in a band, while the better one will be clearer, and more defined. You can hear that in the clips, btw.

You tricked a little bit the results, by using a high mass bridge who helped the sound a little. Also 50% of the tonewood (the neck is identical) And the Alder Jazz Bass is not that much of a growler, at least from what I hear in the mix. Try to redo this experiment with a Bubinga Warwick Corvette with Wenge neck, then with a lumber with a maple neck. ;-)
I personally find this topic excellent, to show how much you can rely on clips when you buy a bass online, but it fails for showing that tonewood does not matters, because it matters even in those clips :)

Peace!

Flo

Augie

The Desert Bass-ape
Reaction score
SHOCK! HORROR! low density, soft timber sounds like low density soft............oh

Avram

Thread Killer
Reaction score
To me it just proves scrap wood is as good as a Jazz bass body. :evil:

:)

You know, I didn't say that on TB, but I was thinking it, just a little... :)

And Flo you are absolutely right. Though I did find his experiment interesting, it was lacking in some key areas, ie; he used the same neck... would have been a better experiment if you used a scrap wood neck too, since most of the 'wood' tone comes from the neck.

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
The neck is critical. I'd say 80% of the tone comes from the neck. :) But, the central point is just listening to clips does not tell you what a bass can do ultimately. For example when amplified through a big rig and/or PA, a bass that has dead and boomy spots will show them, while in your room with a small amp it will sound fine and balanced.

Top Bottom