Just a nut 1 (Brass) or Just a nut 3 (Syntethic)

Reaction score
Ok i have 2001 Warwick thumb Bo/Bn 5 with 47mm brass JAN I

Should i change it to syntethic JAN III? theres probably no brass versions for broadneck so... Ive heard about that brass would be better for the open string sound, that it would well correspond with bell brass frets, theoretically. (sorry for my horrible english)
But then for me it seems JAN III is easier to adjust and so on...

But as i want to make the bass sound as much thumb NT as possible, and im changing the 2 band preamp to 3band already, for some reason i have this thaught that having synthetic nut would change the overall tone too, which is probably quite far fetched but yeah... (Oh and i really mean that overall tone closer to the NT.)

Well nevertheless, which one would you guys suggest JAN I Brass or JAN III Synthethic?

PS: oh one quick question, what you guys would value that thumb? it seems bit rare with broadneck just a nut 1's and all as its original stock setup. (Im not sure about anything nowdays really :confused:) just wondering this out of curiosity.

Nachobassman

Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: RIP
Reaction score
Haha thanks actually i checked the shop but i just didint find them there. didint realize at all that there were more pages xP

Reaction score
As an owner of a new jan 3 brass on my Infinity SN 5, I will recomend you to get the brass version.

I need to get a new nut for my Vampyre, as the clips on my JAN II have broken. Why would you recommend the brass over the synthetic? I know on the Warwick page in the JAN description they say they moved to synthetic originally due to an overly harsh sound from the brass.

I play a heavy picking style with a lot of midrange to get that kind of "Glang" in the the sound(Best way I can describe it lol) so I was thinking in that regard the brass would work well me.

Reaction score
well yeah thats pretty much what ive been asking :p Anyways the brass just a nut 3 costs too much, so the question is still on the JAN I and JAN 3 which one is better :) but yeah i think ill go with the synthethic after hearing what the guy above said about warwicks statment about synthethic being more less, um clanky? xD

Nachobassman

Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!
Reaction score
Think I already answered your question in my previous post. ;) Anyway, The bras JANIII is SOLID, period. Does iit sounds diferent from the Tedur (synthethic) one? Not that my ear can notice.

Does it worth the big price diference? IMO, Yes. You could be sure the brass nut won´t break or damage as easy as the Tedur one.

Cheers.

StoneAje

Warwick Endorser
Reaction score
You can make your decision based on whatever you want but I don't think the prospect of the Synthetic one breaking should be a factor. As they say the third times a charm and I don't think the it will break like the JAN-II.

Reaction score
Yea thats what warwick says also that they repaired the breaking problem on JAN II. Oh this is what i found on some forum:

I hate brass. I managede a guitar store from 1977-1988 so I was in the middle of the brass craze. I put a LOT of brass nuts on guitars and basses. The only thing they do in my estimation is ruin the character of open strings. They may add sustain to an open string, but it's pretty much defeated the reason to use an open string anyway. And they don't do squat on fretted notes, despite the assertion that was their main selling point back in those days

Warwick theirselves say also about their nuts, that they changed to synthethic because of the tone:

The disadvantage of such innovation was the sound of an "empty" string with no body. The tone became harsh with lots of high frequencies that weren't even there. There was a need for a material that wouldn't produce such tones. Then came the era of the synthetic nut that would hold true to the original sound of the string

So this is probably why i might pick up the synthethic JAN III over JAN I brass. I dont have money for JAN III brass and i dont think i even want it, and even brass would be better choice i will switch JAN I to III because i dont like the idea of induvidually setup the action before setting the strings.

Lol after all i got my conclusion with my own studying on internet... sry for taking your time guys but yeah you can still shout out some opinions i really love to hear what you guys think :)

Reaction score
I wouldnt pay much attention to the "spin" re. brass V's synthetic.
I've had both on the same bass & couldnt hear any change in tone whatsoever. The brass jan3 is prettier, & will last forever.
Reminds me of the saying,
"long after price is forgotten, quality remains".

Reaction score
I wouldnt pay much attention to the "spin" re. brass V's synthetic.
I've had both on the same bass & couldnt hear any change in tone whatsoever. The brass jan3 is prettier, & will last forever.
Reminds me of the saying,
"long after price is forgotten, quality remains".

+1 on that

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
Here’s the sound difference between the Brass and Tedur versions of the JAN 3, an ear opening experience:

I never imagined such a difference in fretted notes, it's nuts! I wonder if the sound would be even better with a one piece brass nut.

Reaction score
Real Name
Rehan
I never imagined such a difference in fretted notes, it's nuts!

LOL, nice pun! Yes, for years I've been told only open notes are different and that video proves that information to be incorrect. All of my Wicks have the Brass JAN 3 nut now. I even got one for my Artist Series Adam Clayton bass due to that video and immediately noticed a difference on both fretted and open notes > more clarity and definition overall.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
I actually prefer the slap response of the tedur nut. :D
Might have to upgrade my JAN3 brass to a tedur. ;)

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
I'd almost say everyone here needs bra's!

Top Bottom