Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

JAZZMAN toggle switch overdrive?

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by Son of Bovril, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Son of Bovril

Son of Bovril

Anyone with a P-NUT or Jazzman pup style, I have the problem that with the selector switch in the down position (away from the strings) it is much louder than the other two settings and seems to overdrive the preamp causing distortion... does this happen to anyone else?

I prefer the tone of the switch down, but there is a big volume difference with it down which makes changing live a problem?

I have lowered the pups to try reduce the overdriven sound, but that just makes the other two switch options very thin and useless IMO...

there is no adjuster switch on the 3-band preamp in my P-NUT II either...

is there something wrong or is this just the way it is?

2. nik

nik

it happens on my $$ a bit.

not usually changing pickup setting mid song so its ok

3. Son of Bovril

Son of Bovril

I assume in the down position the humbucker is in series or something so that the output is higher right?

4. trujo777

trujo777

happens to my $$ too. this is for humbucking and therefore something that has been described here as "sonic force".

5. EVOLVEBASS

EVOLVEBASS

Down is humbucking in parallel, and yeah, it's "nuclear destruction" mode. I always run dual-parallel live with the $$, so I hadn't ever really considered the volume change. I use the coil-tapping switches more to balance tones in the studio. If you want to toggle different coil-tap settings during a show, you might have to roll-off the volume a bit in parallel mode to keep the series and single-coil modes at even volume...

6. JHbass

JHbass

Jesse
    i keep my bass and mid even on the bass EQ, and on the amp i keep the mids a bit higher than the bass, and on my BOSS EQ, i keep the mids up a bit higher than the bass as well, my tone is a strong Growl and it isnt too middy either, and doing this helps to keep the distortion down to a minimum

7. EVOLVEBASS

EVOLVEBASS

By the way, while I have experienced this distorting of the preamp, I haven't had problems with it in years. Between lowering the pickup(s) a bit, and setting up your preamp correctly for the signal it's receiving, it's pretty easily fixed...

8. FunkyMan

FunkyMan

I agree with evolvebass! I have a streamer jazzman and use the mics in the same position and in live, I never had problems of saturation! We must also take into account the way in which it is played, because certainly in that position of mics, if you play hard, will distorting a little bit... :lol:

9. trujo777

trujo777

That's the mode I was describing. Thanks for the correction on the Nuclear Destruction Mode (NDM)-term to use when referring to $$s. LOL

Once the NDM is activated...wow get ready to get kicked on the chest!! :twisted:

10. Son of Bovril

Son of Bovril

so if I wanna use it in parallel mode, I have to just turn down my amp gain settings and leave it that way?