Jazz Theory?

Lex

Warwick Endorser
Reaction score
Doc said:
Oh I know, I use tab... its just that the only problem with notation is you cant see fingerings. I like wootens where he combines them into one...

mate, remind me where you are studying?

I have been going down to Zinc Bar on Sunday nights to watch the brazilian jazz band that plays there... you should come down sometime

Reaction score
KrisG said:
1st: Ionian - regular major scale
2nd: Dorian - flat 3rd and 7th (great for minor 7th chords)
3rd: Phrygian - flat 2nd, 3rd, 6th and 7th
4th: Lydian - augmented 4th
5th: Mixolydian - flat 7th (this one is good for 7th chords!)
6th: Aeolian - flat 3rd, 6th and 7th
7th: Locrian - flat 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th and 7th

The most important ones to remember are ionian, dorian and mixolydian. Hope this helps... I have a list of what scales work with what chords that I could attempt to scan and send you if you want

Oh...okay. I do know modes than, I just totally forgot the informal name for all those modes.

Thanks everyone for help. :)

Reaction score
Lex said:
Doc said:
Oh I know, I use tab... its just that the only problem with notation is you cant see fingerings. I like wootens where he combines them into one...

mate, remind me where you are studying?

I have been going down to Zinc Bar on Sunday nights to watch the brazilian jazz band that plays there... you should come down sometime

Im tottaly in! I study at the Collective, its great! Ill facebook you about sunday night mate!

Lex

Warwick Endorser
Reaction score
ahh of course!

yeah i want to talk to you about it, I am thinking of doing some study myself... let's do it over some music and drinks

Reaction score
KrisG said:
1st: Ionian - regular major scale
2nd: Dorian - flat 3rd and 7th (great for minor 7th chords)
3rd: Phrygian - flat 2nd, 3rd, 6th and 7th
4th: Lydian - augmented 4th
5th: Mixolydian - flat 7th (this one is good for 7th chords!)
6th: Aeolian - flat 3rd, 6th and 7th
7th: Locrian - flat 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th and 7th

The most important ones to remember are ionian, dorian and mixolydian. Hope this helps... I have a list of what scales work with what chords that I could attempt to scan and send you if you want

please scan that! I'm trying to write a bassline centered around some 7th chords. Right now I'm just pretty staying with roots, fifths, and octaves, but I want to expand.

JUZ

Reaction score
does anyone know of any websites that can help? :?

Reaction score
This one covers quite a few aspects and this one lets you play chord progressions

BassRunner911

Warwick Endorser
Reaction score
i'm not too sure about websites, but i do know the two main books that I used.

The Evolving Bassist - Rufus Reid
The Jazz Theory Book - Mark Levine

The best book for solo work in jazz if you want is the Omnibook in bass clef by Charlie Parker (from here on you will only refer to him as Bird)
It has all of his best charts obviously in bass clef. If you have the time to analyze what Bird does, it is a thesaurus of what to do in solo situations. Otherwise, it's just a book full of fun lines to play.

I started with the blues. There are many....... forms of the blues. The best to start with in my opinion is 12 bar in Bb.

I have no idea what you know and dont know so i'll put everything.
one of the standard forms is:

I IV I I
IV IV I I
V IV I I

The roman numerals refer to scale degrees. These are capital meaning Major.

After you think you are pretty beastly at Major blues, try minor blues. I started with "Mr P.C."

I don't want to say everything because then no learning will take place.

Jazz is my forte, it's actually my fortissimo. :lol: If you have any specific questions ask away.

Lex

Warwick Endorser
Reaction score
BassRunner911 said:
i'm not too sure about websites, but i do know the two main books that I used.

The Evolving Bassist - Rufus Reid
The Jazz Theory Book - Mark Levine

The best book for solo work in jazz if you want is the Omnibook in bass clef by Charlie Parker (from here on you will only refer to him as Bird)
It has all of his best charts obviously in bass clef. If you have the time to analyze what Bird does, it is a thesaurus of what to do in solo situations. Otherwise, it's just a book full of fun lines to play.

I started with the blues. There are many....... forms of the blues. The best to start with in my opinion is 12 bar in Bb.

I have no idea what you know and dont know so i'll put everything.
one of the standard forms is:

I IV I I
IV IV I I
V IV I I

The roman numerals refer to scale degrees. These are capital meaning Major.

After you think you are pretty beastly at Major blues, try minor blues. I started with "Mr P.C."

I don't want to say everything because then no learning will take place.

Jazz is my forte, it's actually my fortissimo. :lol: If you have any specific questions ask away.

Thanks for the advice matey! I have Levine's book(s) too... including the piano book.

I actually recommend getting a keyboard as learning to play a bit on there too. To some it's easier to approach than a stringed instrument...

Lex

Top Bottom