Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Isn't Time that Warwick Setup and Create a New Industry Standard

Discussion in 'Non - Official Warwick Customer Support' started by BassPlyr Randy, Aug 12, 2010.

1. BassPlyr Randy

BassPlyr Randy Long Winded SOB

Not sure if this is the place for this, but here it goes.

I'd like to see Warwick stand up and give our basses what microphones have had for decades, phantom power. They could and should be the first mfg that offers phantom power on all their basses and amps, so a Warwick bass played through a Warwick amp will never again be inflicted with dead or dying batteries. Frankly, I don't understand why we are still tied to using 1/4" connectors and relying on batteries to run our electronics.

I really think that once Warwick added this as a standard feature on all their basses and amps, other bass and amp mfgs will come around and before long, it will be an industry standard.

What do all of you think about it?

2. Leronious

Leronious

I like your thinking Randy. You have the mind of an inventor.

Imo, the bass industry (as a whole) is very slow and reluctant to change or progress (look at all the hype for vintage/reissues). Also, the fact that you need phantom power support on both the bass and the amp will turn people away because the gain is not very substantial (it would only benefit active basses). And what about stomp boxes? They would need to have support for xlr or 1/4" trs. Currently, there are too many obstacles to clear.

I have had a similiar idea. A feature I would like to see is an integrated DI box. We would have the standard 1/4" output as well as the balanced xlr. I'm sure this has been done before but it would be great as a standard feature.

3. jester

jester ocdemon

Yanni
  4. BassPlyr Randy

Yes, that is why I suggested that a company such as Warwick that builds both get the ball rolling. The bass would also have a 1/4" jack as usual, so it shouldn't matter for the instruments. But you do bring up a good point about stomp boxes running inline. But then again, most amps have an effects loop so that would solve that issue. Basically at first, the feature would only apply to bassist with both a warwick bass and amp, but the feature would not negatively impact either the bass or amp of a user that didn't have one or the other, so theres no reason it couldn't be done

BTW, I like your idea too. The Wal as Jester linked to, the only thing I didn't like was the need of a dummy plug if only using the DI line, but that is a minor issue.

5. Mr Praline

Mr Praline Forum Silly Person

EBS out of Sweden already does this.

6. BassPlyr Randy

already does what?

7. JanVanHove

JanVanHove Artist

It is an interesting concept, kind of what Alambic does, but not with a dedicated power supply...

But what about playing with a wireless system...? You still need to have a power source on you to power the bass and the wireless... (I know, not everyone plays wireless, but most of the big dogs do...)

My 2 cents...

8. Mr Praline

EBS amps can supply power to basses or pedals with phantom power through stereo cables.

9. BassPlyr Randy

Cool Samuel, thanks. I looked on their site and didn't see that feature, that is why I asked. I go look again, But that is cool to hear. That's how it starts, once one mfg starts offering a feature, it generally grows till everyone is.

Yep, it wouldn't work with wireless systems either. and maybe that is why we don't have it yet as a standard feature, because everyone thinks of what it wouldn't do instead of focusing on what it would. A lot of amps offer Bi-Amp feature that only a small percentage of players actually use, so clearly it doesn't have to be a 100% perfect for everyone every occassion type thing to be added as a feature. Besides, I think the number of bassist that just plugs their bass straight into the amp is still a fairly large percentage and more than worth doing such an easy added feature. Basically its just adding a small step-down transformer to the amp so it would be really simple and cheap to do. On the bass it would also be a fairly easy circuit to add. If you were in the situation you could use it, it would be great to have, if not, it wouldn't interfeer with your playing at all.

The other point is we really need to get away from the 1/4" connector as the standard for instrumentation. It really is such a poor connector with a poor point of contact. This will take a while, but in the long run would be so much better for our signal paths. A lot of companys are already offering XLR as the output on their basses, and we see it a lot in rack mount gear. Its just a matter of more and more of us asking/demanding it and it will happen one day.

10. lasteffect

lasteffect Forum Nudist

How about a bass that can make you a sandwich?

Ok, okay... Kidding aside, those ideas with Phantom and XLR jacks are great things I'd like to see on Warwick.

I know EBMM has already do it, but why hasn't Warwick/MEC tried bringing in 4 band Eq? Or better yet, 3 band w/ Parametric Mids? Would be seriously sweet to have it in your bass's preamp system, besides your amplifier.

How about a Robot Bass? Gibson and Fender has one? I really love the fact Gibson's can tune itself, and yes that is a sign of my American Laziness, but it would come in handy one stage quickly. And one knob turn and you go from standard to a half a step down or to Drop D or a whole step down. Lazy? Yes. Cool? Yes.

What about Pedals? Warwick hasn't tried making their own pedals like an overdrive, chorus, delay, reverb, fuzz, ect. I'd think it would be sweet to have a Warwick pedal that delivers the can of drive I want out of it plus a little growl that comes from a Warwick amp.

11. Mr Praline

Yeah, the feature is well hidden on the amps, but is there if you want to use it. You have to have compatible pedals or basses (e.g. EBS pedals mostly).