Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Is it economical to get cabs custom made?

Discussion in 'Bass Amps & Cabinets' started by Augie, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Augie

Augie The Desert Bass-ape

I have been looking for a small portable rig for a while, and now have a Markbass TA503 as the head, but am looking for a cab to go with it. I also have the components for a 1x15 can lying around (Emminence PS-15CV speaker, plus the crossover and tweeter from an ol Carvin quad box). The speaker is in a really bad enclosure at the mo, but i have thought of just getting an empty bin and loading it to make a 15 plus tweeter small cab. Is it worth it getting a cab made? Are there people who do it without it costing me more than just buying a small 2x12 or 1x15cab? I am in Australia so options for cabinet makers are probably limited, but there might be affordable shipping options out there...

Or should i just bite the bullet and get a new cab and try and sell my components on Gumtree to try and recoup some of the costs?

2. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

I live in Romania, the country of home made everything, from alcohol to bass cabs.
    Even with right materials and skilled guys I always thought that something was missing in the home made cabs.
    Every serious company has a lot of research before producing a cab. I remember all the internal discussions before launching the Hellborg line... And we changed the cabinets actually even after the official launch, because we were not happy with some details...

I say go for factory ones...

3. Augie

I thought that would be the answer, i might end up spending 200 bucks or more on a crap box when a mesa 2x10 came up for sale here for 550. Probably anyone who can make up a box for less than a second hand quality factory bow will sell me something that will dissapoint.
    might sell all the crap bits and pieces i have for what i can get and just get some good gear.

4. boston asphalt2

boston asphalt2 Official Forum Pain in the Ass

A well made custom cab, done by someone who knows what they are doing, can tailor to your specific needs, some times much more than an "off the shelf" cab will. The problem is making sure the person building it is competent and knows their stuff.

5. markoism

markoism

Yeah I'm from Yugoslavia, majority of stuff at my house is home made, especially our booze.

6. Augie

What would the cost of a cab be if its well made versus a second ahd or cheap factory job? This is not for my primary rig, but for rehersals and small venues. recon getting one made will either cost me interms of cash or hassle.

7. verb

verb Good Vibe Sponsor