Iphone Photo Flip-flop

Reaction score
Hey guys-

While I’m happy to have the photo upload feature restored, I’m having an issue uploading photos directly from my iPhone 7 when posting to a thread in the forum.

What happens is the photos are inverted 180 degrees the first time I upload them. Then I have to flip them 180 degrees in my camera app and upload them again- which they continue to show upside down the second time.

So I go back and edit them right side up and THEN they appear right side up after uploading them the third time.

Note that I’ve tried flipping them upside down the first time around but it doesn’t work.

Mind you it’s not insurmountable but is time consuming. Is there something you or I could do to circumvent this?

Thank you bros for all you’ve done to give me a home away from home!

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Thanks for the bug report, I will let Ivan (Todo10) know about this. I post from my computer only, and it works OK.
BRB

Florin

OG
Reaction score
And I think we all feel the same about this place, and each one of us play his role in keeping this forum a beautiful place to be. :)
Love ya!

Reaction score
Thanks Flo- it took a while to add a three photo post to the Favorite Night Haunts thread.

Last edited:

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Try this: when you take a picture with your iphone, keep the home button to the right, then upload, let's see how it goes :)

Reaction score
Thanks for the bug report, I will let Ivan (Todo10) know about this. I post from my computer only, and it works OK.
BRB
Yes mine also post correctly from my Mac, but these days when I’m on the boat, all I have is my iPhone-

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Have you tried taking the pic with the "home" button to the right? That was not a joke, it could make it work until we find and fix the issue.
Cheers :)

Reaction score
I’ll give it a try the next I do a landscape pic. And for portraits I’ll try with the home button up. Thanks bro!

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
In a jpg format image file, extra metadata is stored such as (possibly) geographical coordinates, date/time when the picture was taken, information about the camera it was taken with etc. etc.
One of the things in this metadata is the orientation of the camera at the time the picture was taken. From the very beginning images made with Apple devices have been problematic for software as Apple seem to make their own rules.

In Windows XP, Internet Explorer showed ALL Apple made pictures upside down for instance, because in an Apple generated jpg the image IS actually stored upside down.

There are two possibilities here:

1. The forum software relies on server side php code to correctly interpret uploaded image files and automatically resize them if they are too large (it probably uses the ImageMagick module to pull this off). This software also does not seem to take the orientation metadata in consideration.
  2. The browser you are using to view the forum with does not correctly render the images onto your screen. You can verify this by viewing the same image using several different browsers. Please do verify this as when this is the case, Todo10 will not find the problem.

Reaction score
In a jpg format image file, extra metadata is stored such as (possibly) geographical coordinates, date/time when the picture was taken, information about the camera it was taken with etc. etc.
One of the things in this metadata is the orientation of the camera at the time the picture was taken. From the very beginning images made with Apple devices have been problematic for software as Apple seem to make their own rules.

In Windows XP, Internet Explorer showed ALL Apple made pictures upside down for instance, because in an Apple generated jpg the image IS actually stored upside down.

There are two possibilities here:

1. The forum software relies on server side php code to correctly interpret uploaded image files and automatically resize them if they are too large (it probably uses the ImageMagick module to pull this off). This software also does not seem to take the orientation metadata in consideration.
  2. The browser you are using to view the forum with does not correctly render the images onto your screen. You can verify this by viewing the same image using several different browsers. Please do verify this as when this is the case, Todo10 will not find the problem.
Yeah- what he said ... ;)

But seriously- I did have the same issue at work with Windows.

So if I use my phone to post, I’ll make the necessary adjustments. But it’s not an issue with my Macs.

Florin

OG
Reaction score
PLease post a wrong one, so we can show Todo10. Could you do it here?

Reaction score
PLease post a wrong one, so we can show Todo10. Could you do it here?

9DB25B68-85A8-44E8-A9D3-A79C774498DE.jpeg

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Yep that's upside down alright. Also after downloading it to my phone.

I viewed the EXIF metadata of the processed jpg and the 'Orientation' field is set to 'Horizontal (normal)'. Would that have been 'Rotate 180' the image would not appear upside down.

Last edited:

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Same image, with orientation set to rotate 180:

9DB25B68-85A8-44E8-A9D3-A79C774498DE.jpeg

And indeed the forum ignores the supplied EXIF information. When downloading this copy you will have the correct metadata however.

Screenshot_20190503-080456_Photo Exif Editor.jpg

Reaction score
Now I feel nauseous lol :confused:
Yep that's upside down alright. Also after downloading it to my phone.

I viewed the EXIF metadata of the processed jpg and the 'Orientation' field is set to 'Horizontal (normal)'. Would that have been 'Rotate 180' the image would not appear upside down.

The pic is the second floor of Chelsea Wine Bar, but I assure you that I hadn't that much to drink when I took it- ;)

Top Bottom