Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Installing active EMG's in a $$

Discussion in 'Non - Official Warwick Customer Support' started by EVOLVEBASS, Jan 15, 2010.

1. EVOLVEBASS

EVOLVEBASS

So, I've been trying different MusicMan-style humbuckers in one of my Corvette $$'s... first it was the Seymour Duncan SMB-4D's, then it was the Bartolini MMC's... but up to this point they've all be passive pickups (like the stock MEC's). Next I want to try active EMG's (MMCS), but I wanted to ask the pro-mod guys if I need to do anything different to go active? It has an active (MEC) 2-band preamp of course... Thanks for any advice!

2. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

Only the pots should be different, that's all.

3. verb

verb Good Vibe Sponsor

Hi
    As Flo said you will need to change the value of the blend and possibly the volume pots.
    EMGs usually use 25K pots and passives 250K or 500K.
    I recently contacted MEC about fitting active MEC pups in my currently passive pup active EQ fortress and they said you could use the same pre amp if you play gently but if you play hard you may get distortion.
    I am planing to fit active EMGs and an Aguilar opb 3 pre amp

4. EVOLVEBASS

EVOLVEBASS

Cool, thanks guys!

Yeah, I might have to consider swapping out the preamp also, especially since this will be the last mod I do to it. Hmm...

5. gonzosc1

gonzosc1

and you need to sell me those MEC $$ pups when you pull them out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!